PDA

View Full Version : paint

jay
01-03-03, 03:35 PM
motors flame red,been colour coding the handles and mirrors but i cant get a paint to match,they're too orangey and no where near it,tried the one from halfords and 'holts' one but they don't match.can anyone reccomend anything?

cheers james

mikeoxford
01-03-03, 04:35 PM
did u use red oxide primer?

or for that matter any kind of primer?

ade
02-03-03, 12:18 PM
Thing is - if yer paint has faded it wont match. Vauxhall do colour fading cans to match aged paintwork.

If it aint faded (and providing you used the correct primer and have applied enough paint layers), I'd say wither the cars not flame red (perhaps carmine red) or the mix in the can aint right.

If its orangey possible that the primer underneath is coming through and you need more paint layers. If you are sanding back between coats (1000 grit wet) then it will be slightly see through - you need about 3-5 thin layers then lacquer it. Prange suggests not enough paint built up to make a deep red.

Also make sure the can is thoroughly shaken before hand and even leave it in HOT but not boiling water for 2 mins to losen paint mix and make it more liquid when you shake it (better mix)

But if youve tried 2 diff can manufacturers (holts and halfords) it could be the car itself not being flame red.

I thought mine was flame red but turned out to be carmine red - then I resprayed the entire shell in carmine red and it looked orangey pink! Actually looks well smart IMO.

If you want an exact match, take summut from the car to a place that can mix paint based on the colour (a flek of paint from an old panel etc) they can scan it for exact colour match.

Hope this helps

Ade
:wink:

ade
02-03-03, 12:19 PM
if its really p1ssing yer off sod the colour coded handles and paint em chrome them lacquer them. never see chrome handles on a nova - would look sweet!

8)

jay
02-03-03, 05:58 PM
yea ma old mans a mechanic an used to do body owrk so he does all me spraying and all the right primer etc was used. its not faded and it had plenty of coats,think best bets gona be vauxhall

cheers lads