PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help - XE refuses to start :S

ST-eater
21-08-09, 10:40 PM
Hi all,

Ive tried searching through the forum, and got to page 20 odd with nobody having a similar problem to mine....

Engine: Early XE with FP ECU

I have wired up my XE engine using the earths on the engine (2 off the loom onto the inlet), the switched 12V (black wire under the dizzy), and the standard 12V Perm live off the loom near the fuel pump relay.

The car cranks over, but the fuel relay does not click, the fuel pump doesnt prime, and there is no spark.

I have checked the coil, and i hve 12v there, and have also tried to bypass the relay using the wire method of connecting two pins to the perm live, yet even then the pump didnt kick into action.

Its really confusing as i do hve 12v in places...

Is there anything sensor wise that would prevent the fuel pump relay to kick into action, or the electrical side to work?

Graeme
21-08-09, 10:44 PM
Iirc the crank position sensor is the only sensor that'll stop the pump running but if you have bypassed it and it still doesn't run I'd say to check the wire to the pump and your earth

Adam
21-08-09, 10:46 PM
Try changing the crank sensor/making sure its plugged in

ST-eater
21-08-09, 10:51 PM
Could the crank sensor stop the relay from working then? If so il see if i can get hold of one in the morning.

Jon_nova1
21-08-09, 10:54 PM
Have you tried connecting a live directly to the pump? it would rule out any fuel pump problem

Graeme
21-08-09, 10:54 PM
Yes it will mate

ST-eater
21-08-09, 10:56 PM
Yea ive tried a live off the battery to the pump, and the pump flows fine..

Adam
21-08-09, 10:56 PM
Have you tried connecting a live directly to the pump? it would rule out any fuel pump problem
If the pump was dead the relay would still click on.. :thumb:

AlexW
21-08-09, 11:03 PM
Just to add, if nothing above helps check the wires.

ST-eater
21-08-09, 11:05 PM
ive tried testing the crank sensor to see if i got a reading of 500 ohm's (i think) between the outer and inner pin to the left, and i have that reading on my ohm metre.... although it might be worth getting a new sensor to rule that out of the problem...

If not is there anything else it could possibly be?

let_nova
21-08-09, 11:46 PM
getting a strong spark?

ST-eater
22-08-09, 12:08 AM
getting a strong spark?

no spark :(

nova_saloon
22-08-09, 12:13 AM
done a flash test otherwise try the ignition live make sure thts connected if not that try a differrent ecu, i though fp was for as later coil pack, i think you can run a distributor xe on a coil pack ecu but not the other way around also check the ecu you is plugged in firmly and everywire is plugged in and all sensors are working properly,

Ernie
22-08-09, 09:28 AM
whats your location ?

Graeme
22-08-09, 09:43 AM
Where have you took the ign live from?

Adam
22-08-09, 12:09 PM
DISpak xe's have "P*" ecu's

ST-eater
22-08-09, 01:33 PM
The engine is the DIZZY and COIL set up, so i think the early one.

Ive just replaced the crank position sensor for a brand new jobby, and that hasnt solved the problem.

I have checked the switch 12v feed, and thats connected fine...
The 12v constant wire is fine
And the earths are present and correct (although can only find 2 off the fuel rail wiring)

The relay is not making any click's when turning the car over, and even when hard wired there is still an issue of it not working (although the pump itself when wired independantly of everything works)..

There is still 12v at the coil, at the dizzy, but not at the maf... Although on research it looks as if the MAF only gets a 12v when the engine is running :S

ST-eater
22-08-09, 01:33 PM
whats your location ?

leicestershire

ST-eater
22-08-09, 03:06 PM
We have checked the fuel replay, and seen that it is controlled by pin 3 (earth) and pin 17 of the ecu. Pin 17 has the injectors inbetween the relay and the ecu, and there are no breaks in this wire... Also the other side of the relay is controlled by pin 3 of the ecu, once gain this wire is fine with no breaks...

Somethings causing one or the other of these not to run, and stopping the fuel rela from kicking in.

Can anyone advise what controls each of these pins (other than the ecu lol)

Rich
22-08-09, 06:58 PM
Have you just wired it up? What colours have you connected and what was the car origionally?

ST-eater
23-08-09, 10:54 AM
Found the non start problem, we checked the relay off a battery and it clicked, so we assumed it was working... but then we knocked it and the fuel pump cut in for a sec... decided to strip it and take a look.

The furthest coil in the relay from the base was water damaged and rusty, so we made up the double relay fuel pump relay (using the 3 diodes) and the car now does start....

Although now, it runs for a few secs and dies... with a nice cloud of white smoke pouring out the rear lol... Smoke is hopefully down to the engine being sat for god knows how long, but we cant keep the engine running now...

ST-eater
23-08-09, 02:05 PM
Right took the plugs out and the head was full of water,,, which explains the smoke....

Thinking the worst... headgasket failure... i dried the head out where the gaskets screw into, by turning the car over, and getting the air compressor to blow what was in there out.

Left it an hour or so and turned it over again, and it has kept dry (other than the fuel thats been injected)...

Nothing has mixed into the water, but obviously the oil has a tiny bit of water in due to it being mixed in the head...

The engine has been stood out in the rain without inlet and exhaust manifold attatched, so fingers crossed its just down to that... (its stayed dry so far)..

Now looking at the plugs im getting spark but yellow spark...

Is this signs of a weak spark as i was under the impression that it should be blue.