PDA

View Full Version : 12st engine problem....

bfuller
01-03-03, 12:52 PM
when i pour water into the filler tank, it comes out the holes just under the manifold, and the exhaust is now VERY smoky, is my head gasket gone?

mark_GSi
01-03-03, 01:36 PM
best way 2 check is 2 c if your oil is murky and ur temp gauge goes in 2 red.
i ant 2 hot on engine probs but it might have gone!

hope this helps

bfuller
01-03-03, 01:39 PM
Cheers for the reply mate, the oil looks fine and theres no gooey mayo crap to be seen, although i do think there is a bit too much oil in it, this is from the previous owner, could this be part of the problem?

mikeoxford
01-03-03, 04:28 PM
where is the exhaust smoke coming from?

if the engine bay it is the stuff leaking and melting / burning off on the engine.

where abouts is the wtare coming from?

below the exhaust manifold?

bfuller
01-03-03, 05:22 PM
water is coming from just below the manifold, out 1 of the holes (there about 1 inch, think there the cylinder), smoke is coming out the actual exhaust , not the engine bay,

i think whats happening is that the head gaskets leaking water into the exhaust, im probably wrong though, can anyone help??

Cheers

jim sri
01-03-03, 07:47 PM
if the head has warped badly this can cause water to be forced out between the head and block.is this water coming out from the inlet manifold side of the engine or exhaust manifold side? any cold-starting probs in the mornings etc? explain the exact probs in more detail matey.

bfuller
01-03-03, 08:23 PM
water is coming out on the manifold side, just underneath the head gasket itself, ive never had any problems starting it though, and it does seem to run fine, other than the stupid amount of smoke thats coming out the rear end!

jim sri
01-03-03, 08:37 PM
is the oil on the dipstick waterey-or the oil filler cap got any white/cream residue on it?any oiol residue on the water filler cap or in the filler bottle itself?is the manifold bolts tight?any water hose connections to the manifold tight?or it could be another water hose in that area leaking.

bfuller
01-03-03, 09:00 PM
yeah the water bottle is full of orange crap, and the oil is a bit thinner that i'd expect it to be, but the manifold bolts are definatly tight, and theres no white creamy crap to be seen anywhere.

Cheers for your help

whitey
01-03-03, 11:44 PM
The oil will be thiner if its new! And the orange crap is most likely rusty water left over from rad! No biggie!

Aragorn
03-03-03, 11:42 AM
can u get a pic of where the water is coming from??

ur saying a hole under the head gasket

are we talking a hole in the gasket or some kinda casting on the block itself???

bfuller
03-03-03, 11:56 AM
yeah i'll try and sort a pic out tomorrow, (working all day today)

Ste_Nova
03-03-03, 12:08 PM
rusted through core plug

mikeoxford
03-03-03, 02:32 PM
The oil will be thiner if its new! And the orange crap is most likely rusty water left over from rad! No biggie!

lol yeah and dont think oil is runny cos water has mixed with it because they dont mix! they settle and seperate!