PDA

View Full Version : Brake probs (help!!)

mark_GSi
01-03-03, 11:35 AM
just dropped a GSI lump in me nova, redid the whole engine (stage 4 head, cam filter ect ect) also put GTE brakes on. The car was a 1.2i before, the brakes are pretty shit at the mo, ive put uprated discs and pads on but it still dont stop very well at all. my dad drove it up the street and he said it was dangerous, they are that bad!!

want 2 now if i put a GTE or GSI master cylinder and servo would this cure it?? im still using the 1.2 items (servo and master cylinder)???

thanks

mark :wink:

ade
01-03-03, 12:24 PM
did you bleed the brakes after you put the GTE ones on?

Obviously with bigger calipers you;ll need new discs and pads (GTE ones are wider)

New servo will help as it'll reduce the amount pf pressure you need to push the pedal to stop the car. I put a 1.4 in my 1.2 mk2 and still have standard brakes on - theyre spongy (need bleeding) - cars due of service soon so I;ll wait till then - just push pedal sooner.

Nova brakes are notoriously soft anyway - are they much different to what they were before?

Think the GTE engine in a little heavier so if your really concerned changer servo (?10 from scrappy for bigger one)

Ade

mark_GSi
01-03-03, 01:20 PM
yea i did bleed um, had 2 cose i changed the calipers for GTE 1's and put GTE discs and pads on, brakes have always been pants, just feels worse cose it pulls and goes ALOT faster than b4 :(

hoping that if i change the master cylinder and servo it will cure it, also thinking bout changing um 2 16v 1's now neway, found sum for 40 quid for the pair, does this sound cheap or expensive, get 2.0 8v for tenner each.

jim sri
01-03-03, 08:03 PM
get the 16v items mate, ?40 a good price and uprate the servo and master cylinder while you're at it-i have the 16v ate calipers f+R with 14sr servo/master cylinder and it stops very well.
may sound stupid but if the brakes were still shockingly bad with the gte items it may be worth checking the fixed brake lines/attachments for any small leaks etc.

mark_GSi
02-03-03, 12:51 PM
got hold of sum off a 2.0ltr 16v mk3 astra GSI, will these fit??, i went up 2 halfords and same discs fit these as well as mk2 gte 16v astras.

im hoping that cose they use the same discs (256mm) that they will fit. also got the carriers and all the bots that go with um for ?40. :wink:

they look as though they will fit. :P

jim sri
02-03-03, 06:07 PM
the brake calipers r a direct replacement, ul have to cut off the brake disc shield or drill the head off the screw holding it on so that the discs have enough room to fit on. these discs may no9t fit if you have 14" nova rims.

mark_GSi
02-03-03, 07:11 PM
basta**s!!!

brought sum calipers 2day, was told they were 16v items, got sum discs and they dont even FIT!!!!

well pissed off :evil:

gona take um back 2morrow (scrappy)

running 17's m8ty so i should be alright :D

techie
02-03-03, 08:48 PM
My Standard GSi brakes are shocking.

Ive ordered V6 Calipers and discs for mine.

mikeoxford
02-03-03, 09:33 PM
after going out with chris ward in his pressure cooker, id say 2ltr brakes ALL the way

couldnt believe how he could fly at them MK islands leavin it so late to break.

techie
02-03-03, 09:37 PM
2L brakes 256mm

V6 brakes 288mm

Id go for the V6 ones, will fit under 15" wheels or larger.

They are awesome :)

mikeoxford
02-03-03, 09:38 PM
nice price tag too

why not wilwood caliper 4 pots if u loaded!?

techie
02-03-03, 09:44 PM
Personally I dont think ?200 is to bad for a whole brake kit inc calipers, discs, pads all brand new.

Wouldnt buy brakes from a scrapyard. I value my life too much :)

jim sri
03-03-03, 12:58 PM
strip down the brakes b4 fittin them like i did and they r as good as new neway, but with a ?low price tag instead of the 'kits' with the price of ?200, which r basically the same thing but with the middle man mark up.

Ste_Nova
03-03-03, 01:26 PM
i've got 40groove 16v stuff.... with the car stripped they are well up to the job...

if you get any brakes you want the ones with the clip not the pins

mark_GSi
03-03-03, 07:20 PM
i took um back 2day and he gave me sum off a mk3 cav 2.0ltr 16v (n reg)

will the discs fit my hubs??
wot bout the calipers? they look as though they are a straight swop

cheers

techie
03-03-03, 07:25 PM
Should all be a straight swap matey :)

mark_GSi
04-03-03, 06:30 PM
put a 16v disc of a mk2 astra and it went straight on, not a perfect fit like my old discs but the went on the hub and the holes all line up :-)

gona fit the cav mk3 2ltr 16v calipers 2morrow :wink:

hope it all works, been a pain in the arse sorting the parts out :cry:

mark_GSi
04-03-03, 06:44 PM
has ne1 put them combinations 2gether??? cav mk3 2.0 16v calipers and mk2 astra 16v discs???