PDA

View Full Version : It was only a matter of time!

Stoo
21-08-09, 09:36 AM
I've been saying this for years and years now!
Ever since I've been going out there.

It was bound to happen sooner or later.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/6062278/Taliban-destroy-Chinook-in-attempted-election-spectacular.html

So so so glad everyone got out OK cos I can guarantee I know the crew that were operating that day.

It's been 27 years since we lost a chinook!!

Bad times!

Ernie
21-08-09, 09:41 AM
Tossers.
Glad they all got out ok.

Tidy Max
21-08-09, 09:41 AM
rough, one flew over work yesterday, it had the shutters rattling lol

scary stuff, good job there wasnt a crew of 'insurgents' waiting for them on the ground, or even worse a sniper!

what do they do if the chopper drops in a 'residential' area? because then they wouldnt be able to air strike it?

send a team in to blow it up? or try and recover it?

Stuart
21-08-09, 09:44 AM
27 years isnt bad going :)

Stoo
21-08-09, 09:47 AM
If it drops somewhere residential or the likes, either the crew 'Red Phos Grenade' it, and burn it.

If it's too sticky to hang around and do it, the crew fukk off somewhere and hide awaiting rescue and then the special forces go in and dem it.

Tidy Max
21-08-09, 09:49 AM
do they always recover the black box?

some somalian helicopter disaster stuff!! (black hawk down?!)

Stoo
21-08-09, 09:52 AM
If they can, they will.

They're also known as CVFDRs. But its quite difficult to get to with all the kit we carry!

Tidy Max
21-08-09, 09:55 AM
continuous vehicles flight drive recorder? lol made that up, what does it stand for?

Stoo
21-08-09, 10:00 AM
Cockpit Voice & Flight Data Recorder

Tidy Max
21-08-09, 10:04 AM
ahh, makes far more sense than mine! anyway, glad your pals are okay mate!!

Jack
21-08-09, 11:19 AM
Note to self, opt for the Hercules when going from KAF to Bastion in September lol

Tidy Max
21-08-09, 11:26 AM
do you actually get a choice?!

Jack
21-08-09, 11:35 AM
Depends what they're flying and how soon we want to move. Last time I took a Chinook out and a Herc back - prior to that I was thinking "I'd much rather be in the herc" as I'd been told the chinook was a bit of a rollercoaster, plus it was about 40 mins longer flight time.

After that, I'd plump for the chinook every time. Imagine being in a giant oven with about 20 other sweaty pongos and the odd bleeding afghani for 45 mins and thats the hercules; the chinook was brilliant, doors open, get a great view, and when it dropped down to a few hundred feet round by Lashkar Gah it was ace.

[edit] I'm civilian so just hitch a ride on whatever they've got scheduled. Last time I was there, it was something like 3 flights a day between KAF and Bastion.

Lynsey
21-08-09, 11:42 AM
You're very brave Stoo :thumb:

Spudly
21-08-09, 12:15 PM
rough, one flew over work yesterday, it had the shutters rattling lol

Snap probably the same one i saw, could hear it in the distance and it sounded like a harley or some kind of loud bike down the other end of the street till it got closer lol

Glad to see thay all got out fine stoo, watch yo ass next time youre out there man!

brainsnova
21-08-09, 12:30 PM
scary stuff stoo im glad they go back and blow it up so the taliban cant play about with it.

matt_vaughan
21-08-09, 01:50 PM
To be honest, I'm surprised a little that the Taliban haven't shot one down already. Its a testament really to the army/air force for them to have had Chinooks in the air so long without being hit by an RPG at some point.

Sad to hear of the loss of one though, especially considering there are only 7 left in Afghanistan now.

Tidy Max
21-08-09, 01:54 PM
because they fly like nutters dont they, get to the highest altitude thats half safe, fly until they are above the destination, then basically cut the engine so it drops out of the sky kick everyone out, then GTFO super quick!!

Jack
21-08-09, 02:51 PM
^ No. lol

Tidy Max
21-08-09, 03:01 PM
hahaha.. just "NO"

i thought that was the way to fly in iraq... but im a civvy who just reads army books and plays COD!
but in all seriousness i know a fair few folk in the army who have said similar stuff about being choppered about the raq! minimal time close to ground etc

General Lee
21-08-09, 04:40 PM
To be honest it's a suprise they haven't downed one before now, the amount of drops and pick ups they do, and the amout of times they have been shot at. Glad everyone got out ok tho, lucky escape. How are the newly built ones getting on or are they still doormant in a grass fieldwaiting for new parts?

I't must have been an ordeal, for not only putting it down in a remote locatotion and missing potential mines/ied's but then getting out of the thing and then missing potetial mines/ied's.

Stoo
21-08-09, 04:42 PM
Its a testament really to the army/air force for them to have had Chinooks in the air so long

Ahem, Air Force thanks!!! Army arent allowed chinooks!!!!

because they fly like nutters dont they, get to the highest altitude thats half safe, fly until they are above the destination, then basically cut the engine so it drops out of the sky kick everyone out, then GTFO super quick!

Again, Ermmm, No! AS low and as fast as possible!
Altitude kills, trust me! The yanks get shot out enough and they fly high and mighty.

We fly at ~50ft or so at max chat ~180kts EVERYWHERE.
The lower you are, the less chance they have of seeing you til the very last second and by that time, your gone!

Jack, KAF-BSN by CH is 40 mins mate ;)

Stoo
21-08-09, 04:43 PM
How are the newly build ones getting on or are they till doormant in a grass fieldwaiting for new parts?

As above, just no!

They are perfectly good, carrying out trials and modifications to get them up to speed.
just when they are pretty much ready, the order changes and new kit needs to be fitted, which usually conflicts older stuff.

dj_wudgey
21-08-09, 05:43 PM
glad every one was ok but this is why my feet stay on good old english soil!!

Spudly
21-08-09, 05:59 PM
We fly at ~50ft or so at max chat ~180kts EVERYWHERE.
The lower you are, the less chance they have of seeing you til the very last second and by that time, your gone!

Plus aswell if you do get shot down youve only got a few feet to fall so you should have more chance of surviving it too lol

Stuart
21-08-09, 06:11 PM
chinooks are uber armored anyway arent they?

low and fast FTW. The yanks and brits used to do exercises together and wondered why the brits owned them every time lol

Stoo
21-08-09, 06:39 PM
Thats my ball game stu, the Armament!

2x Dillon M134D Miniguns ~4-6000RDS per minute
1x Ramp mounted M60D Machine Gun ~600 RDS Per minute

Plus Belly and wall armour plates.

The armour on the floor can be shot thru from inside the aircraft but cannot be shot into from outside :)

The yanks fly at about 100kts at 500 ft - RPG/SAM territory!

Jack
21-08-09, 08:45 PM
Jack, KAF-BSN by CH is 40 mins mate ;)
Seemed a darned sight longer than that when I flew up there lol We did go via Lashkah Gar though, but I thought that was en route so shouldn't have taken up much more time. P'raps I got it the wrong way round, must have been the chinook that was quicker. Lost track of time in the hercules, was too busy sweating my **** off lol

You going to be out there about mid-late September?

Stuart
21-08-09, 08:55 PM
The yanks fly at about 100kts at 500 ft - RPG/SAM territory!

lmfao they sooooo want to die all the time!

HEAT weapons FTW :p

Stoo
21-08-09, 09:11 PM
I wont be back out til jan/feb at the latest.

Lash Vegas is Kinda on route but opposite direction to BSN so maybe thats why the journey was longer.

Stu, yes, they all just want to die. They have a 'Hoo-Ahh' attitude. Makes them solid!