PDA

View Full Version : Clay bar options and tips for a noob

joeSRI
20-08-09, 05:22 PM
As above I need some advice on clay bars. Heard some good things so want to try it out. Want to know where to buy them cheap? which one is best etc etc

cheers

salter
20-08-09, 06:02 PM
As above I need some advice on clay bars. Heard some good things so want to try it out. Want to know where to buy them cheap? which one is best etc etc

cheers

I've used Meguiars clay bar and the results were very good, think its about £ 24 from Halfords though. I would try the Megs website as well as they have "how to" guides and there very helpful on tips.

The main tips are, check how bad your paintwork is, the paintwork should feel smooth to touch, if its feels gritty you most likely need to bar it. Also keep plenty of spray(supplied with the bar) on the paint to keep the bar moving.

When I first tried the clay bar it doesn't feel right pushing it along the paintwork but you will be amazed at the bits it pulls off!

Stuart
20-08-09, 06:30 PM
feck meguirs/any that need a solution. Far too expensive imho.

Billt Hamber clay bar (they do two, get the non fine) you get a fapping big lump of the stuff too, uses water to lube so its infinately cheaper than spray lol

Benn
20-08-09, 07:20 PM
No it doesn't, you can use water as lube on all clay.

Megs is very good, as is dodo jucis's clay. I use them both with water as lube.

Stuart
20-08-09, 07:30 PM
No it doesn't, you can use water as lube on all clay.

Megs is very good, as is dodo jucis's clay. I use them both with water as lube.

the annaly retentive geeks on DW claim they break up and all sorts with water only lol. Still the bilt hamber one is ace value as you get approx 3 times the ammount for £9.99 vs the rest

Benn
20-08-09, 07:32 PM
Never seen that, but mine have been ok, i leave the car wet and do it, sometimes adding a spray of a detailers over the water.

wilson_sri
20-08-09, 07:35 PM
Agree with Stuart. The meguirs ones have always just broke up with just water when iv used them.

Im using Zaino clay now, never had a problem great stuff.

Benn
20-08-09, 07:44 PM
Oh haven't had that.

lee-loon
20-08-09, 08:01 PM
I use g3 and a buffer

CoolTiger
20-08-09, 10:03 PM
i use sand and a buffer and scotch brite as a leather

lee-loon
20-08-09, 10:12 PM
No 80 grit?

Benn
21-08-09, 06:56 AM
But we're not taking about buffing up paint.

Why the funk are you using sand and scotch on paint?

joeSRI
21-08-09, 10:58 AM
Stu, where do you buy bilt hamber clay from?

Stuart
21-08-09, 09:09 PM
got it from elite car care (try dw5 in the discount box)

or you can get it direct from bilt hamber

Stoo
21-08-09, 09:20 PM
Bilt hamber on ebay, you want the soft

Or Sonus green clay.

Polished bliss
detailing world
clean your car
detailed obsession etc

all websites where you can get clay or info on how to clay.

The car needs to be as clean as possible first, and also try to use some de-tar stuff to loosen up the tar before hand.

As benn says, you can use water from the wash/rinse, but in the heat of late, the water will dry and leave marks. So its best to dry first, using detailer aswell to do so.

Then just keep the area you are doing plentily lubed and dont try working too big an area at a time. If you feel the clay starting to bite or grip the paint, add lube. Also try to go in the direction of airflow over the car, ie back to front.

Any more Qs just ask, I'm getting an Uber detailing obsession at the moment. Picking up my DA this weekend :)

Stuart
21-08-09, 10:47 PM
soft for after the big first go... but the non soft isnt exactly 80grit sand paper lol.

I found warm water worked well. But now I dont care about keeping the car clean/detailed yo! lol. rat look grp ftw

Benn
23-08-09, 02:30 PM
Any more Qs just ask, I'm getting an Uber detailing obsession at the moment. Picking up my DA this weekend :)

The cost keeps going up and up trust me..

craig green
23-08-09, 03:11 PM
I get on fine with Megs stuff. I'm not wasting the detailer spray though, just got a trigger spray with some diluted water/car shampoo to mist on. Keep the detailer for what it is intended for.

I'd prolly buy the Bilt Hamber stuff next time as it does appear to be better value.

Benn
23-08-09, 03:16 PM
Thats one of the best and easiest ways to do it Craig,

Stoo
23-08-09, 04:21 PM
The cost keeps going up and up trust me..

I'm learning the hard way!!

My current shopping list is over £500

20% of that is my choice of wax!!!

Benn
23-08-09, 04:24 PM
Wax? Or waxes?

Stoo
23-08-09, 06:38 PM
Just the one!!! :)

Benn
23-08-09, 07:18 PM
Wax at that price in my books really isnt worth it.