PDA

View Full Version : Won't start after servicing!

joeczucha
28-02-03, 05:54 PM
Changed - leads, sparks, oil, filters, dizzy cap, rotor arm.

Had the dizzy leads in the wrong holes and would start, making an odd clicking noise. Changed them in accordance with the Haynes and now its not even making the clicking - you just get the normal starter motor noise but it sounds like nothing is 'igniting' if you know what i mean. Are you meant to adjust the sparks before they go in? I didn't change the gaps or anything coz i didn't realise i was meant to! Any ideas? Please! Joe

Ben (lurk75)
28-02-03, 06:03 PM
Ignition module.

test with an eletric meter reader on both sides of it and see if there is anything coming out of it.

Cheese
28-02-03, 06:17 PM
To get the best performance from the plugs, you do need to "gap" them to the setting for your engine. Settings are listed in the Haynes manual..

Like Ben says, check the Ignition Module, also check all the leads are attatched to the coil and to the plugs properly..

Ben :)

ade
28-02-03, 10:36 PM
If the car was running properly before hand then I'd say its either summut to do with the dizzy cap/rotor arm and the ht leads/plugs in incorrectly.

1. Make sure the plugs are in correctly. they should be gapped properly but most plugs nowadays are preset (the ones I get anyway) - even then it should still fire up if be a little weak.

2. make sure you put the rotor arm on the right way round - MUST be in the exact position it came off otherwise it wont fire at the right place. Should only be able to go on one way (unsure on 1ltrs) - make sure the dizzy caps on properly and tight and make sure the leads are set up right ( haynes is looking at them from right on the end of the cap - this can be misleading.

3. Did you mark the position of the HT leads to the cap/plugs before removing them? If not and if the previous owner had changed the ignition timing, Haynes wont be right based on the cars set up. My 1.2 had its ignition in reverse for some reason (rather than 1324 order it was 2431 or summut like that!).

4. If it sounds like its clunking (1st try before you swapped it all about) thats probably one of the leads firing out of sink (misfires and engine clunks). Try swaping them around on the plugs - turn engine off each time 1st though to avoid shock.

Possibly the reason its not turning now is because the 1st spark from the dizzy cap isnt going to a plug/cylinder thats ready to be fired so it aint doing owt.

Id say take all the leads off, set it up as it was in the 1st place then try and distinguish which one is clunking and swap it with another one. Turn engine off each time though or your get a nasty shock.

Ade

joeczucha
01-03-03, 07:38 PM
make sure you put the rotor arm on the right way round - MUST be in the exact position it came off otherwise it wont fire at the right place. Should only be able to go on one way (unsure on 1ltrs) - make sure the dizzy caps on properly and tight and make sure the leads are set up right ( haynes is looking at them from right on the end of the cap - this can be misleading.

what do you mean right on the end of the cap? as in standing at the front of the car looking down on it?

Did you mark the position of the HT leads to the cap/plugs before removing them? If not and if the previous owner had changed the ignition timing, Haynes wont be right based on the cars set up. My 1.2 had its ignition in reverse for some reason (rather than 1324 order it was 2431 or summut like that!).

i didn't write it down but if it turns out that the haynes manual isn't correct for my car, is there any way to find out which order it should be? J

jim sri
01-03-03, 07:56 PM
take out the lead connecting the coil to the distributor from the distributor end, get assistant to 'earth' this while you crank engine, if a spark arcs between the lead and the earthing point, you know the coil is producing a spark and that the problem is something between the distributor and spark plugs. if the coil is not producing a spark, as ben says it is ignition related. isnt there a solenoid within the ignition system. if the coil is sparking, and the leads are in correct firing order, and rotor arm all correct and all connected up properly etc, and starter motor turning then it is possibly fuelling issue.

joeczucha
01-03-03, 09:06 PM
jsut need to know how to find out the firing order! i'm sure that will fix it :o

joeczucha
01-03-03, 09:11 PM
oooh update - i swapped the leads over now to a difrent order (the one for the 1.2) and now it start - but only if yo give it gas and it stalls when you release it - doesn't tick over at all :cry:

Cheese
01-03-03, 09:34 PM
What engine do you have?
From what i can remember the 1ltr firing order is different to the 1.2/1.3 models.. When i originally had my 1litre engine ages ago, the firing order in the Haynes manual was wrong.. Think (cant remember for definate), 1 and 4 were the wrong way round :?:

Ben :)

joeczucha
01-03-03, 10:19 PM
Just been trying every dizzy cap lead combination then the oil dipstick popped out with a massive bang, scared the shit outta me, and then the oil started smoking :( not good - what do you think the damage is? Whats next idea lads? J

jim sri
02-03-03, 06:04 PM
sort out the firing order first.use the haynes.

mikeoxford
02-03-03, 10:04 PM
1.2 1.3 and other OHC models going clockwise on the dizzy

top number 1
number 2
number 4
number 3

1 litre models going clockwise on the dizzy

top number 4
number 2
number 1
number 3