PDA

View Full Version : Advise please

novaload1992
20-08-09, 10:26 AM
Any advise on starting your nova? My nova wouldn't start the other day and i was left stranded. Tho now got new plugs n points etc. But ive been told to start my nova with the accelator half down and with a bit of choke on.

So any advice on how long you leave the choke on and do any of you put your accelator down? I'm only used to electric start :mad:

L14MNP
20-08-09, 11:43 AM
When stone cold I would say full choke and no throttle. It may be worth giving the throttle pedal several pumps before turning the key though.

As for the choke, if you're driving off straight away then you may be able to push it back in. How far you can push it back in just depends, you will be able to feel when it's 'right'. Engine not struggling/bogging down etc.

If it does then pull it out a bit further until it's idling nicely and can pull off without struggling etc.

When it's up to temp you should never need it.

ade
20-08-09, 11:46 AM
whats the problem when you start it normally?
When starting my SR I pull the choke out half way, give it one depression of the acclerator to get fuel in and then turn key. She stutters a little then kicks in. Might need to dab the throttle a little if v cold.

I usually stick choke right back in within 30 seconds of starting but thats because as soon as I leave my drive I'm on the A9 which is a 60mph road a long one- 1st stop is 3 miles down the road so cars warm by then...

Jack
20-08-09, 01:04 PM
I find it varies, my hatch seemed to be addicted to the choke until it was fully up to temp, but the saloon only needed a little bit. Mind you, the former had a K&N with no hot air feed so that could have explained it.

The ex's polo needed choke all the time. It was fcuked lol

So any advice on how long you leave the choke on and do any of you put your accelator down? I'm only used to electric start :mad:
You mean auto choke? Electric start refers to the electrical ignition & starter setup.

stevie-p
20-08-09, 01:06 PM
whats the problem when you start it normally?
When starting my SR I pull the choke out half way, give it one depression of the acclerator to get fuel in and then turn key. She stutters a little then kicks in. Might need to dab the throttle a little if v cold.

I usually stick choke right back in within 30 seconds of starting but thats because as soon as I leave my drive I'm on the A9 which is a 60mph road a long one- 1st stop is 3 miles down the road so cars warm by then...

I'm with ade on this one i bar i usually need to keep the choke out a littlw longer lol but every now and again push it in a little so its ticking over at the right rpm and when its warm enough choke is not needed:thumb: