PDA

View Full Version : v6 twin turbo............

Dirtydog1
20-08-09, 12:18 AM
realisticly speaking, how difficult a job is fitting a v6 turbo lump from a saab into a corsa b? by that i mean, engine mounts, gearbox management. ive heard they are quite similar to the c25xe block casing???????????

i understand its not just gunna pop slip into place, has anyone done it?

cheers :thumb:

Jack
20-08-09, 08:24 AM
Obvious question is why would you want to? You're aware the blown L81 is 13bhp down on the N/A B308i/X30?

That aside, assuming the mounts are the same and the F20 or F28 box fits (as its still a GM engine, so should), the only other problem I can see is the fitment/size/placement of the turbo.

Jack
20-08-09, 08:37 AM
...and you're aware the Saab engine is a single turbo, ja?

Twin turbo would be a complete custom job. Although I'm not familiar with how much room there is in a Corsa bay, assuming its of similar-ish dimensions to a Nova - forget it, you'd barely fit one in there, let alone two!

Welsh Dan
20-08-09, 09:21 AM
Sure you would Jack, one of them would be on your knee, the other one poking out of the grille lol.

Jack
20-08-09, 09:37 AM
Poking out? It would be about 2" in front of the car lol

Plug
20-08-09, 09:38 AM
ive seen a v6 turbo in a nova it was a custom manifold jobbie with the turbo sat above the gearbox, wasnt a saab lump though

Jack
20-08-09, 04:48 PM
Saab engines are the same as their GM equivalents. The only difference is the 9-5 turbo which had a turbo (and excessively gayhat DI shiznit) but as said thats a low blow so the pistons probably won't be much cop for decent pressure.

Above the gearbox would probably be the easiest place to put it as there's a big space there and its right by the inlet but you'd need an interesting exhaust manifold, and even then it would really only be drivable by the front bank.

Supercharger would be a better option, certainly on a Nova anyway. Not sure about a Corsa as they have less room at the back..?

Dirtydog1
20-08-09, 08:40 PM
hmmm.... very interesting points...... i didnt realise they were only a single turbo unit. how does that work then? as with the c25xe the manifolds come out either side, thats why i assumed it was a twin.

Mike
20-08-09, 09:58 PM
Simply buy that V6 TT'd astra van on eBay at the mo, an hey presto, engine fone for ya.

Jack
21-08-09, 12:42 AM
Mike, the van is a single turbo.

hmmm.... very interesting points...... i didnt realise they were only a single turbo unit. how does that work then? as with the c25xe the manifolds come out either side, thats why i assumed it was a twin.
I'm sure I remember reading one incarnation of the turbo'd 54'V6 only has teh blower being powered by one bank of cylinders. Lazy design fail lol

On a single turbo, you'd have the blower further down the exhaust, which tbh isn't ideal. Plus there's a convoluted induction tract, as you can see in this pic:

http://i.ebayimg.com/01/%21B%28JgkQgBWk%7E$%28KGrHgoH-CsEjlLltsWbBK,2PRdElw%7E%7E_12.JPG

^ see the filter on the N/S whilst the inlet tract disappears down into the O/S wheel arch? Mmmm, do we know what lag is? lol

Dirtydog1
28-08-09, 08:58 PM
lol, hmmm, looks nice under the bonnet but i see your point, there are some issues! why dont people make a twin turbo then? one on each manifold then run the pipes into one larger bore? there must be ways of creating a less laggy pipe work setup too! my van has a 6 in it and ive got shed loads of room either side!

id start by binning that **** fan and scoop on the n/s and heat wrap the manifold.

Jack
28-08-09, 10:02 PM
In the corsa there must be more room then. You'd also of course need some form of custom manifolds making up = $$$

Supercharging would be easier, plus the yanks like their chargers so you could probably get all the bits you need from the US.

Dirtydog1
29-08-09, 03:46 PM
a charger in the middle above the inlet with a giant intake scoop poking through the bonnet like the hot rods/drag cars have lol

what about the compression ratio? can the standard managemnet deal with low boost?

Jack
30-08-09, 01:18 PM
Again, not sure about the corsa but on the nova the charger would be ideal sat up where the heater blower goes (assuming you're not using the gayhat Cav inlet)

As for ECU you could try the one from the Saab turbo V6

mikey14sr
31-08-09, 10:53 AM
Mike, the van is a single turbo.

On a single turbo, you'd have the blower further down the exhaust, which tbh isn't ideal. Plus there's a convoluted induction tract, as you can see in this pic:

http://i.ebayimg.com/01/%21B%28JgkQgBWk%7E$%28KGrHgoH-CsEjlLltsWbBK,2PRdElw%7E%7E_12.JPG

^ see the filter on the N/S whilst the inlet tract disappears down into the O/S wheel arch? Mmmm, do we know what lag is? lol

Intercooler inlet on the n/s, outlet on the o/s, no more convoluted than having the turbo sat behind the middle of the ic I'd have thought?