PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 8v block/head dimensions

jimbob-mcgrew
19-08-09, 12:39 AM
since ive put a 16sv in my nova (1.6 8v carb) ive had nothing but probs trying to find a compatible exhaust for it.

at the mo ive got a 1.4sr manifold, twin downpipe and centre pipe, joined to a 1.2/1.3/1.4 centre silencer and rear backbox. the exhaust fits ish, from the sr to rest of it it needs to be about 2 inches longer at one of either end to ideally make the mounting points like up and the exhaust slide on as far as it should. its bodged with cable ties and exhaust paste at the mo, still knocks and blows tho.

does anyone know if the 16sv has the same block/head port dimensions as the gte/gsi 16se engine ? as it might cure my probs by sourcing a complete gte/gsi exhaust for it if thats the case. im quietly confident they share the same bottom ends prety much, but the head ports and possibly engine and gearbox mounting points might have a factor in the fitting if there different ?

Leeboo
19-08-09, 02:14 AM
All of the small block 8v's can use the same exhaust, e.g. the engines all mount and sit exactly the same. I've had the exact same exhaust setup on a 1200, 1300 and 1600sv. Your centre section must be too short for the twin downpipe manifold. Just lengthen your centre section by welding in a suitable length of pipe just after the manifold flange, I'm sure someone would be kind enough to do it, wouldn't take long.

jimbob-mcgrew
19-08-09, 03:20 AM
my 1.2 exhaust wouldnt fit as the 1.6 engines are a bit taller. it was sat jammed on the sump.
im not cutting and welding ever again, my last exhaust was a cut and shut job and was an apsolute joke. aswel as the time of bodging it in, many times after that it brought me so much stress i almost put one of the car windows thru.

come to think, ill get the tape measure out on a mates gte, compare it to mine, see if the blocks and heads are the same dimensions and where along the body the exhaust mounting points are, if there different too.

AlexW
19-08-09, 10:36 AM
Taf like you was told before, iirc your sump is different to the usual...

jimbob-mcgrew
19-08-09, 12:26 PM
man you always say i told u before, u never tell me ****
your posts arent helping.

AlexW
19-08-09, 04:30 PM
lol Problery because your drunk when i tell you lol

comptoncj
19-08-09, 06:40 PM
on my 1300 ive used a gte manifold and downpipe, as its slightly bigger, the downside is you have to use a 1600 system because the downpipe is angled instead of the system, on a 1300- 1400 the system has a kink in it before it joins the manifold.

jimbob-mcgrew
19-08-09, 11:22 PM
as much as i hate the idea of the bodge weld approach, might have to be done, a tenner to a mate of mine for doing it is all i can afford. a complete gte system is gonna set me back a fair wack.