PDA

View Full Version : Offset!

Tazzy
28-02-03, 01:16 AM
ok, this is gonna seem like a dumm ass question, ive had it explained to me so many times yet i still dont understand it, what actually is the offset?

cheerz!

?Marty?
28-02-03, 01:23 AM
It's the distance fron the mounting surfaces of the wheel, to the center line of the wheel.

Tazzy
28-02-03, 02:08 AM
what centre line?

Will
28-02-03, 02:18 AM
in simple terms how much the wheel sticks out from the arch, lower the offset on the more it sticks out, on novas neway, lol

Tazzy
28-02-03, 02:23 AM
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

burgessovsalford
28-02-03, 05:12 PM
if you wanna know cos urs getting sum alloys get a set of wheels between 45 & 49 offset.

basically is u get wheels with a lower offset. eg 35 you will have trouble with your tyres rubbing on the arch walls.... in other words they will not fit properly without mod's.

Ben (lurk75)
28-02-03, 05:33 PM
as explained offset is the distance the wheel sits away from the hub. if you were to put offset (et) 0 wheels on it would be like putting them on backwards.
If you put et 49 wheels on a nova they sit flush with the hub.

If you fit ford wheels on they are et 38 and would foul the arches as they do not sit flush.

Anton
28-02-03, 05:34 PM
just go for 45-49mm :D

Jim
28-02-03, 07:19 PM
It's ok AndyJ I don't get how the offset works either, lol. I just try and stick between et 45-49 depending on what size alloy you're looking at.

Jim

ade
28-02-03, 11:59 PM
Here you go m8 - this will explain it - with pics too!

I;m the same when it comes to ET's

Have a look at this page under inset/outset - about 1/2 way down. shows you exactly

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/tyre_bible.html

Ade
:wink:

mikeoxford
01-03-03, 04:43 PM
http://www.mikeoxford.boyracer.net/images/offset.gif

Tazzy
01-03-03, 06:21 PM
i want to know wha tthe offset is because ive never understood what it was, and still dont, lol!

although, i am eyeing up the Speedline Alesios, very nice indeed, i so want a set of these, im willing to kill for a set, im in love! (just dont tell the gf!)

mullinz
03-03-03, 08:42 PM
i bought sum secondhand 15' alloys that are et 35 and they fit fine the geezer i bought it off had em on a nova as well. my cars been lowered 30mm as well the arches are slightly rolled but they dont foul. i think it really depends on the size of wheels u wana put on

Fester
04-03-03, 12:51 AM
lol the explainations so far have been bleak so i knocked this up!
http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=409

ade
04-03-03, 12:54 AM
derr - sorry but I dont get it!

:?
:lol:

Fester
04-03-03, 12:58 AM
ur taking the piss right!!! :lol: :lol: :x

Tazzy
04-03-03, 12:59 AM
im sorry, but im gonna need diagrams and explanations, i still cant figure it!

Fester
04-03-03, 01:00 AM
i think its the whole center line thing thats throwing you

basically, there is no 'center line' actually on a wheel, its just a measurement taken from the middle of the wheel to where the metal touches the drum brake, when looked at from above

ade
04-03-03, 02:20 AM
yep fester - I get it (got it ages ago).

Andyj, best thing to do is this -

- jack yer car up and take the back left wheel off.
- You will see the rear disc hub (the bit with the 4 holes in it where the bolts for the wheel go).
- Thats the black bit on Festers drawing.
- Get some chalk find the middle of the wheel (centre of the tread) and draw a line around the wheel - this is yer imaginary centre line
- now look on the inside of the wheel (the back of the bit where the bolts go). The back bit of the wheel touches the rear disc bit. This is the green bit of Festers drawing.
- the Offset is the distance from the chalk line drawn around the wheel to that green line point (the back of the awheel where it touches the disc). measure it in MM and youve got the offset
- if you make the MM bigger (say offset of 100mm) then the wheel will be so far inside the arch it will hit the suspension.
- if you make the MM smaller (say offset 10mm) the wheel will be so far out the arch you'd look like a drag racer!
If you dont get that then theres no hope for ya - sorry

Ade
:(

Ben (lurk75)
04-03-03, 04:36 PM
i bought sum secondhand 15' alloys that are et 35 and they fit fine the geezer i bought it off had em on a nova as well. my cars been lowered 30mm as well the arches are slightly rolled but they dont foul. i think it really depends on the size of wheels u wana put on

Sorry mate not saying your lying but i find that very difficult to believe.

Tazzy
04-03-03, 09:06 PM
sorry ade, you lost me at "Get some chalk find the middle of the wheel", i cant see any diagram!

ade
05-03-03, 01:59 AM
PLEASE tell me you having a laff!

:roll:

If not - heres an explanation.

Diagram refers to Festers pic he posted.

Middle doesnt refer to middle of wheel (ie where the bolts are) but the middle of the tyre - like wot you find on new tyres (always a yellow chalk mark round them).

LOL m8 - I hope your messing with my head!

:wink:

johnny_corsa
05-03-03, 04:22 PM
for god sake. its where the "wheel" meets the "hub". ish. if u have an ET number (when browsing allows, go for et45-49 if u drive a corsa/nova). A higher/lower number will mean that your brand new alloy wheels u just paid for will fuck ur arches/tyres up royal.

there really is no more to say. ps love the DIY diagram. :lol:

Tazzy
07-03-03, 12:21 AM
the diagram on page 1 isnt working, i still aint got a clue!

ade
07-03-03, 09:59 AM
lol m8 youre amazing!

fair enuf if pic aint working - email fester for it

Ade