PDA

View Full Version : Nova front panel

Jon_nova1
18-08-09, 07:11 PM
So i'll soon be getting a new front panel, this one...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-NOVA-1983-1993-FRONT-PANEL-COMPLETE_W0QQitemZ380149137432QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5882a780 18&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I thought i may aswell get started on taking the old front panel off, but i can't really see around the back, has anyone got an image?

theres a single sheet of metal on the top half, and double sheet of metal on the lower half, then the big folded bar along the bottom (what the radiator sits in)

Am i right in assuming the single and double sheet metal can come off and the bar that holds the radiator in stays? or does that go too?:confused:

AlexW
18-08-09, 07:38 PM
The thicker bit at the bottom goes too, your best of cutting it off in sections, as you cut it off your see what holds it.

Jon_nova1
18-08-09, 07:59 PM
cheers aw06:thumb:

yep, i've started to cut/grind the first layer off that goes around the headlamps etc and taken note of weld points:d

Pistol Pete
18-08-09, 08:07 PM
Spot welded to the inner wings (front upper panel). Lower front is spotted to the chassis legs, and (if your just fitting the skin and not the cross member) the cross member aswell.

Also when fitting the new one use self tappers to be sure first before welding. I didnt do this and paid the price for it!!

Jon_nova1
18-08-09, 09:02 PM
lol Duly noted, sounds like its easier putting a new one in than it is getting the old one out:d

AlexW
19-08-09, 04:32 PM
It indeed is, but mesure a millon times, as long as everything looks ok and the wheels (once youve put the tiebars back on) seem to sit in the right place then it should be fine.

As pete says use screws, infact his WIP thread may be of help to you.

Jon_nova1
19-08-09, 06:21 PM
I was going to just tack weld it on just enough so it held, then weld it up when it was all aligned to save making more holes!

just checked out petes WIP, i'm at the stage of welding the inner wings after taking the front off....well, taken the top half off, the new front panel should be here in a day or two:d

S1M0N
19-08-09, 07:31 PM
Id advise waiting until you get the new front panel before cutting the old one off, this way you can see what has to come off, its a tricky process getting the new one right!

Jon_nova1
19-08-09, 08:23 PM
yep thats why i've left the rest intact, as i wanted to get the inner wings done before it arrived, so just took the top part off