PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic handbrake

novalovingned
17-08-09, 10:14 PM
Cant seem to find much info on the hydraulic hanbrake setup.

I have some probably silly questions but i will never know unless i ask :)

Does it plumb into the existing braking system? Does it require a seperate servo etc? Or is it a remote system?

I have a disc converted rear beam running astra gsi rear discs etc, is there anyway i can convert the handbrake to run on the rear calipers and disc instead of the handbrake shoes and drum thats located in the centre of the disc?

Any info on any of these questions would be great :thumb:

George g
18-08-09, 02:54 PM
Run the rear brake lines to a tee piece, then into the handbrake piston, then To a bias valve then out to another tee piece and to both the rear callipers.

Hope this helps

Stuart
18-08-09, 04:00 PM
bear in mind you need to atleast keep the handbrake cables in place otherwise its an MOT fail

Mike
18-08-09, 04:23 PM
Cant seem to find much info on the hydraulic hanbrake setup.

I have some probably silly questions but i will never know unless i ask :)

Does it plumb into the existing braking system? Does it require a seperate servo etc? Or is it a remote system?

I have a disc converted rear beam running astra gsi rear discs etc, is there anyway i can convert the handbrake to run on the rear calipers and disc instead of the handbrake shoes and drum thats located in the centre of the disc?

Any info on any of these questions would be great :thumb:

Unless your going rallying you have no need for one what so ever.

A total waste of nearly £200 on a road/day to day car IMHO.

matt_vaughan
18-08-09, 04:43 PM
Mike is right. They are awesome bits of kit to have if you are rallying/autotesting, but other than that, on the road can be major pain in jacksie.

novalovingned
18-08-09, 06:52 PM
I was told that if i plumb it into the braking ststem to run the handbrake via the rear caliper and disc and not the cable it wouldnt work. When i apply the handbrake the servo wouldnt take the pressure, as the brake pedal will not be in allowing a bar in the servo to block of the fluid reservoir. Resulting in the plastic bottle not being able to cope with the pressure the fluid is under?

Can anyone shed any light?

George g
18-08-09, 07:11 PM
yeh... whoever told you that was talking b*llocks, unless you try it with ABS, in which case they might be right and it spasms out and kicks the pedal at you, but on a NON ABS circuit, which you need to run for a hydraulic handbrake then its fine. people have been rallying with them for years like i have described and not one has had a reservoir pop off because of that reason!

novalovingned
18-08-09, 07:24 PM
yeh... whoever told you that was talking b*llocks, unless you try it with ABS, in which case they might be right and it spasms out and kicks the pedal at you, but on a NON ABS circuit, which you need to run for a hydraulic handbrake then its fine. people have been rallying with them for years like i have described and not one has had a reservoir pop off because of that reason!

Ok will take your word for it mate :)

Why is there a need for a bias valve, everyone seems to be running them with the hydraulic handbrake. Are they mandatory?

Stuart
18-08-09, 07:27 PM
you run yours rear discs without one then hunny ;) see how long you last before reasling that ALL the brakes being at the back sucks balls

novalovingned
18-08-09, 07:30 PM
you run yours rear discs without one then hunny ;) see how long you last before reasling that ALL the brakes being at the back sucks balls

Lmao! Many thanks :d

Mike
18-08-09, 09:53 PM
Why is there a need for a bias valve, everyone seems to be running them with the hydraulic handbrake. Are they mandatory?

FLOL at this whole thread lol lol lol

novalovingned
19-08-09, 11:55 AM
FLOL at this whole thread lol lol lol

Cant see whats so funny.

AlexW
19-08-09, 04:30 PM
I can lol

novalovingned
19-08-09, 08:13 PM
I can lol

Well done.

rallynova1200
19-08-09, 08:22 PM
http://www.agmotorsport.co.uk/index.php?cPath=2&TeKnoID=d02c96ac5cf5e95eeb2ef52f15a802e1 that would be your cheapest option

novalovingned
19-08-09, 08:28 PM
http://www.agmotorsport.co.uk/index.php?cPath=2&TeKnoID=d02c96ac5cf5e95eeb2ef52f15a802e1 that would be your cheapest option

Cheers mate, was having a look at that hydraulic handbrakes a couple of days ago. Seems good value for money.