PDA

View Full Version : removing 5 speed transmission 1.2

Tidy Max
16-08-09, 02:54 PM
right im under the passenger side wheel arch, and what im seeing is differant to my haynes manual, all i can think is that the haynes manual is showing a 4 speed box which is differant, for a start there is no massive 36mm nut/bolt, which is good as i dont have one lol

any ideas?

mowgli
16-08-09, 03:15 PM
you remove the small cover, and unwind the torx bolt from the shaft, wind in a longer bolt to attact to a slide hammer and withdraw the input shaft, then you just unbolt the whole gearbox.

Tidy Max
16-08-09, 03:22 PM
thanks mowgli, i dont have a slide hammer, but i will fathom something....yee haw,

cheers for the quick reply

edit: got to spread some love before repping you again :(

mowgli
16-08-09, 03:25 PM
if the box is coming out to be replaced, then forget the above advice & just undo the bolts & rag it out, just like all professional mechanics do

Tidy Max
16-08-09, 03:33 PM
arhhhh box oil everywhere!!!!

Balley
16-08-09, 04:18 PM
i am doing a clutch on mine at the minute and i agree with what you said about the manual, its not very clear at all

mowgli
16-08-09, 04:50 PM
if you use chapter 13, then it is fine, but the old blue manual is way better than the new green one....

untidy max, surely you'd guessed about the gear oil & drained it out...........................

Tidy Max
16-08-09, 06:01 PM
.....bugger off lol

my learning curve gets any steeper and its going to be going backwards haha, im struggling to find a bolt long enough to screw in the input shaft! it tells you that you can sue one from the gear changing housing thats bolted to the top of the transmission, it has the right thread but no where near long enough... would putting it in 5th gear slide the input shaft farther up i wonder.... or does it not move at all, knowing nothing about transmissions im going to assume that that is just wishfull thinking!!

bmw156
16-08-09, 06:10 PM
one of the bolts from the gear transmission is long enough

it worked fine for me also try and get mole grips on it...

p.s what are you actually trying to do, you state remove the 5 speed

if so, then like mowgli said, just whip of the bolts lol

Tidy Max
16-08-09, 06:18 PM
yeah but mowgli also said if i intend on replacing the gearbox, im dropping the engine out, but as my engine stand bolts into the transmission bolts on the block, i am removing the box insitu... is this daft?

and non of them are bm! the threads are of a differant size!!

thanks for the help chaps!

AlexW
16-08-09, 07:33 PM
Get the engine and gearbox out in one go. Dont bother trying to do it with the gearbox out, just makes it harder.

brainsnova
16-08-09, 07:39 PM
the point of removing the gearbox with the engine in the car is to save removing the engine lol so do the above.

Tidy Max
16-08-09, 08:00 PM
arhh curse ye all, lol, okay, ive just welded up two bolts to get that input shaft out too!

none the less i shall take your advice, the problem was that i have to take the gear box off to fit it on my stand anyway!!

i have mega limited space in my garage, and this seemed the most space efficient way! cheers for the advice :)

AlexW
16-08-09, 09:07 PM
Your seriours best off getting the thing out in one and then splitting the box off. For a start its easyer!

mowgli
16-08-09, 09:27 PM
Your seriours best off getting the thing out in one and then splitting the box off. For a start its easyer!

agreed

Tidy Max
16-08-09, 10:24 PM
i will do it that way, i put the bell housing cover back on before, just struggling to remove the drivesahafts now, going to buy a pry bar tomrrow!

brainsnova
16-08-09, 10:26 PM
just yank it hard and pop goes the weasle.

Tidy Max
16-08-09, 10:26 PM
ive yanked it like a mofo! will it not do any damage just ragging on it??

brainsnova
16-08-09, 10:28 PM
the cv rubbers might split apart from that the rest should be fine.

Tidy Max
16-08-09, 10:29 PM
ill smash on tommorrow then fella, nice one!

mowgli
16-08-09, 10:55 PM
if you undo the bottom arm balljoint, then put the wheel back on. then you use the wheel as a slide hammer. you pull repeatedly on it till the cv joint pops out of the box.

Tidy Max
17-08-09, 08:06 AM
thanks mowgli i will do just that, cheers for the advice... you will make a diy mechanic out of me yet lol