PDA

View Full Version : m5 breakdown

stevie-p
15-08-09, 10:34 PM
Got stuck for 2.5 hours on the m5 today just before junction 22:( and about 6.5mins from my destination.

1.snapped clutch cable
2.dodgy master cylinder
then got my sister to come and tow me into highbridge (i think)
and managed to blag the RAC to come under her cover for my car and fix it for free :)

I must thank Edd rogers for being so patiant.

i saw the mk2 cavalier with ronal turbos...all i can say is sweet
and in highbridge someone who looked like gareth wwc on tow plates in a mk2 cav??? laughing
and of course a load of renaults etc beeping just to show there appreiciation:roll:

that is all
steve

Jack
15-08-09, 10:35 PM
Should have said, thats about half hour from me and I've had fcuk all to do today!

Highbridge is bandit county btw lol

stevie-p
15-08-09, 10:37 PM
I thought you were in the other direction lol
people just driving past and laughing...
ill remember next time as its becoming quite common breaking down lol

i was on bennet road in highbridge around 2 hours in a layby straight after ther roundabout waiting for rac once being towed... with a pregnant missus in the hot car >> never again

mowgli
16-08-09, 01:02 AM
now is the time to explain double declutching..... or how to drive home with no clutch.....

get the engine running. push car along road as fast as you can. jump in & shove it in 1st gear. then accelerate to about 3000 revs. whip it out of gear & into 2nd. if it won't go, give it a few more revs to match the shaft speeds.
carry on thru the gears if you are on Mway, or if on smaller roads, 2nd is pretty good for up to 40mph without revving too much.

it is actually worth practicing this in case you ever need to use the skill in an emergency.

I drove a loaded artic 150 miles with no clutch. the only difference was having to start it in gear, and crunching the tipping gear engagement was a bit rough, but cheaper than a recovery

MK999
16-08-09, 01:27 AM
The renaults were beeping because they have crazy electrical faults that hit the horn at random lol

Spudly
16-08-09, 09:44 AM
+Rep to Mowgli, i was thinking why didnt you just carry on, vaux boxes are eaasy to shift without a clutch and if you need to come to a standstill then turn the engine off, put it into first and turn the key when you want to set off, it will judder and lurch forwards then catch and youre away:thumb:

Southie
16-08-09, 09:55 AM
Spudly repped as I've had to do that on several occassions. :)

Mowgli I must spread some before giving again. Awww

Spudly
16-08-09, 10:05 AM
Spudly repped as I've had to do that on several occassions. :)

Mowgli I must spread some before giving again. Awww

Cheers dude, ive had to do it myself a few times before, most memorable was when i used to deliver pizzas for a local takeaway on a weekend in my nova years back and one one delivery the clutch cable snapped, a few of my mates were nearby when it happened and laughed like hell at me, then stared slack jawed as i put it in first fired it up again and crash boxed it bcak to the shop, boss lent me his car to go home and whip the cable off a scrapper a had in for bits at the time, and i was back to the shop with the cable refitted and me cleaned up in about half an hour, which funnily enough was just as the next delivery was ready haha, dontchya love how easy novas are to fix lol

Ernie
16-08-09, 10:21 AM
i fitted a clutch cable on my old track car wile in the pit lane to go out on track at combe lol.

chris gsi
16-08-09, 10:28 AM
i fitted a clutch cable on my old track car wile in the pit lane to go out on track at combe lol.

i rember that i was thinking what is that nutter doing nowlol

Ernie
16-08-09, 10:30 AM
it was peeing down aswell.

Ben
16-08-09, 10:46 AM
now is the time to explain double declutching..... or how to drive home with no clutch.....

get the engine running. push car along road as fast as you can. jump in & shove it in 1st gear. then accelerate to about 3000 revs. whip it out of gear & into 2nd. if it won't go, give it a few more revs to match the shaft speeds.
carry on thru the gears if you are on Mway, or if on smaller roads, 2nd is pretty good for up to 40mph without revving too much.

it is actually worth practicing this in case you ever need to use the skill in an emergency.

I drove a loaded artic 150 miles with no clutch. the only difference was having to start it in gear, and crunching the tipping gear engagement was a bit rough, but cheaper than a recovery

Tis a skill that many of the youths dont have!

General Baxter
16-08-09, 10:50 AM
Tis a skill that many of the youths dont have!
i have to double cluch when i drive my mates 1950's van, its so wired lol

Benn
16-08-09, 11:08 AM
I've kept a clutch cable in the boot since i went four in a year...lol

Mike
16-08-09, 01:02 PM
I was on M5 that way today an yest.

sAw a crock of **** brown 5 door slaoon, 5 up young females, stoved in n boot?

Jack
16-08-09, 02:32 PM
5 door slaoon
Why were they carrying a spare door? lol

Mike
16-08-09, 02:36 PM
Why were they carrying a spare door? lol

Errr dunno lol

General Baxter
16-08-09, 02:39 PM
its called a sun roof, well its a door on my troll lol

stevie-p
16-08-09, 03:22 PM
i couldent carry on it was start stop on the m5? and i pulled over to check. had no tools and cable it was all at home.
and when i got it going the traffic was moving to fast to pull out so i thought rather than putting others myself and my pregg missus in danger i'd just stay still.

i had 6 packs od disco's 8 cartons of ribena a retro cars mag and sat nav so all wasent too bad.

mowgli
16-08-09, 03:24 PM
hard shoulder & hazard lights spring to mind.... when (if) the rozzers try to pull you, explain your problem

stevie-p
16-08-09, 03:26 PM
hard shoulder & hazard lights spring to mind.... when (if) the rozzers try to pull you, explain your problem

yes and yes i was on hard shoulder with hazards going:confused: the motorway traffic and police went past numerous times and did nothing im sure they had to help??

mowgli
16-08-09, 03:32 PM
rozzers are particularly lazy on the M5, and they have to fill their shift with laughing at overturned caravans & playing car snooker, so they will have very little time for good work, like helping people on the roadside.

those wannabee highways agency blokes are meant to help, but they are too busy playing at being rozzers to do much

stevie-p
16-08-09, 03:35 PM
lol that is very true.