PDA

View Full Version : XE Alternator & Starter

ST-eater
15-08-09, 07:22 PM
Hi, can anyone help and advise me how the starter motor and alternator are wired up on the XE engine.

Its not in a vauxhall, so i cant just use the original, say nova loom... im having to make it all from scratch....

I can assume that there has to be a large cable from the battery to the starter and alternator, then i think the starter has an exciter wire... (is this off the 3rd ignition click, and if so is there a relay needed between the barrel and the starter)...

Then how does the alternator wire up, as i think there is a perm wire or a wire that spikes to start the alternator charging... if so can this be wired off ignition click 2?

And then theres finally the problem of which connections go where on each of the items above.

If it makes any difference, im using the 2.0 16v early dizzy XE (non coscast)...

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/3160/05082009123.th.jpg (http://img200.imageshack.us/i/05082009123.jpg/)

General Baxter
15-08-09, 07:30 PM
tbh use the fiat wiring,

most cars it will be all the same

charge wire and starter wire,

Adam
15-08-09, 07:32 PM
Starter has a thick red 12v from the batt, and a solenoid feed wire (this comes straight from the barrel on most cars), but you can do it on a relay if you want. Basically its just 12v on barrel pos III

Alternator has a 12v(which is spliced with the starter thick red), and it also has a thin wire that runs to the dashboard battery light bulb.
Fit a earth cable between the alt and the engine too.

ST-eater
15-08-09, 09:44 PM
Starter has a thick red 12v from the batt, and a solenoid feed wire (this comes straight from the barrel on most cars), but you can do it on a relay if you want. Basically its just 12v on barrel pos III

Alternator has a 12v(which is spliced with the starter thick red), and it also has a thin wire that runs to the dashboard battery light bulb.
Fit a earth cable between the alt and the engine too.

Exactly what i was after, Can you just tell me which connections to use on the starter and alternator? Im thinking that the bigger connections will be for the perm 12v, but just want to double check

ST-eater
15-08-09, 09:46 PM
tbh use the fiat wiring,

most cars it will be all the same

charge wire and starter wire,

I would but it was removed, i only kept the stuff like indicators etc as the battery has had to be relocated into the rear so nothing fitted... regretting it now lol...

ST-eater
15-08-09, 09:57 PM
does the alternator automatically charge then? as in no need for a 12v spike