PDA

View Full Version : painters/have a go hero's!

Asa-James
14-08-09, 12:45 AM
the nova needs painting, and i have no access to a spraybooth and no money to get someone to do a proper job, so i'm looking at the posibility of roller painting as i know rattle canning an entire car could get messy. so my question is what paint do i need to use, and what techniques?

the car will be staying carmine red, or as close as i can get to it:thumb:

G-nova
14-08-09, 12:58 AM
Mate i would spray car with rattle cans panel by panel do a bit of practise first.

brainsnova
14-08-09, 01:03 AM
after you add the cost of all the cans and the finish its not worth the headache. find a girl that knows a painter :thumb:

draper
14-08-09, 01:06 AM
wasnt there a thread about roller painitng a car a while back ? did anyone actually have a go at it ?

do you know anyone with a decent sized garage you could paint in ?

G-nova
14-08-09, 01:07 AM
i would paint it for you i got all the equipment only thing is i havent finished collage yet start my third an final year in september. Im going to paint my mates chevette soon which will be my first full respray.

Asa-James
14-08-09, 01:08 AM
i've checked the last big thread about rollering, but it was justabout rollering 2 pak, as opposed to a car in general (are there other/better paints?) and i could possibly borrow a spare bay in my uncles garage for a week or so to do it.

mowgli
14-08-09, 01:09 AM
roller paint it, then polish it with g3 and a mop.

Jon_nova1
14-08-09, 08:34 AM
I used a paintbrush on my other car:wtf:

no seriously! i went to a paint mixing shop and picked up some cellulose paint and thinner, painted the wings, sanded it down then t-cut, it came out awesomelol

Asa-James
14-08-09, 02:45 PM
so what would be the easiest paint to work with?

mayhem
14-08-09, 04:43 PM
yacht paint. 2k. works great.

make the floor wet before you start rollering, or else you'll end up walking up dust etc.

mayhem
14-08-09, 04:45 PM
my little secret...

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/mayhem22/Foto0163.jpg

i rollerd my astra mk1. this is a 1k due to a previous owner who rollerd it black with 1k paint.

Rexy
14-08-09, 06:16 PM
i love this Roll it bollocks.

To roller paint it, You would need to buy - Rollers good quality ones which wont break up after 5 mins work, and a good few of them. Then you have the trays/ paint/hardner.

Then you need 1200's/1500's/2000's to flat the paint once its been roller painted. Then you need to buy G3, buffer and buffing head.

To get a good result will take you friggin ages Is it worth it???

I reckon you would spend around £150/£200 ish on product to give it a go.

Keep saving and get it done once and get it done Right.

Benn
14-08-09, 06:48 PM
I agree with rexy, save the money. Get it done right.

Or you might get this...
http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/welding-fabrication-painting/405747-puked-up.html#post4071844

Yes with time and having a clue you'll get a better finish, but you'll spend quite abit of money to do it.

Jon_nova1
14-08-09, 08:00 PM
which is easier?

I don't know if you have to sand it after rolling it on, but cellulose is better than 2 pack paint, mainly due to the fact with 2 pack, you have to paint it, then use hardener, with cellulose, you put it straight on (you meant to mix half and half paint thinner), let it dry, then t-cut it (of course if your using a paintbrush/roller you may need to sand it first)

Benn
14-08-09, 09:29 PM
You still need to mix celly paint...

Jon_nova1
14-08-09, 11:04 PM
yes, like i said, 50/50 with paint thinner before use, especially if spraying

Benn
14-08-09, 11:14 PM
lol so adding in a small amount of hardner takes 20sec... And you'll get better paint, longer last finish.

brainsnova
15-08-09, 01:01 AM
ask for a respray for crimbo.

ade
17-08-09, 01:03 AM
I looked at rollering my car - decided against it - mainly because no matter how hard you try you will always get a snotter (little blob of paint) and the speed at which the thinners evaporates at if you dont get the mix right it'll dry too fast and if that happens when you roller your next part if you catch the 1st layer it'll lift.

I've opted of an HVLP sprayer, good quality gun and about 4 of the BIG blue B&Q tarpaulin sheets. Just line the garage with them, including the floor, hook up an old radiator fan to a battery to blow out the overspray, wet the floor and off you go. Just have a small practice on an old panel beforehand.

jimbob-mcgrew
17-08-09, 03:14 AM
I used a paintbrush on my other car:wtf:

no seriously! i went to a paint mixing shop and picked up some cellulose paint and thinner, painted the wings, sanded it down then t-cut, it came out awesomelol

^ nice! plus rep for bravery