novalicous
13-08-09, 09:32 PM
How much heat wrap would it take to do this 4-1 manifold

and is it worth doing

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d96/craig_johnson_/DSC00164.jpg

Cheers Craig :thumb:

mowgli
13-08-09, 10:06 PM
to calculate the amount of wrap, you need to know the outer diameter in metres & the total pipe length in metres

then the sum is 3.1415927 x diameter(in metres so for example 50mm is 0.050m) x total pipe length (in metres)

this then gives you the square meterage of wrap you need.

then you need to divide this square meterage by the width of wrap tape coverage(in metres again) to give you the linear length required.

novalicous
13-08-09, 10:13 PM
cheers for that

i was just wondering if any one has ever wrapped there own and how much they used

and are there any benifits

mowgli
13-08-09, 11:13 PM
i'm sure there have been quite a few on here that have done it.

you do dramatically lower under bonnet temperatures. just make sure the pipes are spotlessly clean & rust free before wrapping, & put some thought into which end you plan to start & make sure you can still bolt it up after wrapping.

Pistol Pete
13-08-09, 11:18 PM
I *think* when i did mine i bought 2 50m rolls. Had some leftover, but better to have too much than not enough. I used jubilee clips aswell, the tag metal cable tie thingies are naff lol

therealnovaboy
14-08-09, 09:38 AM
you should really only wrap stainless manifolds. mild steel just rots from the inside out when wrapped and wont last long at all. however it will still lower temporatures under the bonet but wont last half as long. in my oppinion compared to the gains its not really worth it.

mowgli
14-08-09, 02:53 PM
you should really only wrap stainless manifolds. mild steel just rots from the inside out when wrapped and wont last long at all. however it will still lower temporatures under the bonet but wont last half as long. in my oppinion compared to the gains its not really worth it.

surely upon first heating after tape has been fitted, any moisture will be evaporated leaving just exhaust & wrap...

therealnovaboy
14-08-09, 03:14 PM
ye but its the fact that the exhaust gets extremely hot under the rap and discintigrates. added to any moisture the exhaust just rots.

jimbob-mcgrew
14-08-09, 04:15 PM
clean it up and spray some vht paint on it too