PDA

View Full Version : sri idles far too high

clemo
13-08-09, 08:22 PM
im sure this one has probably been asked hundreds of times and i think i know the answer but just want to double check.

my k reg 1.4 sri starts up fine revs are as you would expect for start up. but when you leave it idleing the revs stay around 1100rpm and the engine light then comes on,
but if i start it up and drive it straight away the engine lights stays off but as soon as i park up for a minute it comes on.
also tonight coming back from work i was giving it a bit of a thrash and when i got home it was idleing about 2000 rpm

ive cleaned the auxillary air solenoid and pulled it out but it resets itself and does the same.

does it just need replacing or might there be another fault? maybe throttle position sensor?

the car was stood for two years in my mates body shop so could something be st
stuck

let_nova
13-08-09, 08:26 PM
idle control valve..

nt sure were they are on that engine. my just need a clean

clemo
13-08-09, 08:29 PM
is that the one that bolts to the throttle body with two torx screws and has a plunger? in front of the throttle butterfly

clemo
13-08-09, 08:30 PM
think it is. thats the one ive been cleaning might get a new one

phazer
13-08-09, 11:40 PM
They don't often need replacing. Soak with carb cleaner. Get rid of the carbon/oil deposits on the plunger. Then you need to soak with silicon grease (spray). I've done loads of these over the years on different cars and never needed to replace one.

Will F
14-08-09, 08:55 AM
If you are getting teh EML - just flash the codes up...

Could be an air leak and the MAP/Lambda doesnt like the AFR?

clemo
15-08-09, 02:07 PM
yeah tried flashing the codes up the other day and looked the code up on autodata. it just said idle speed incorrect which wasnt very helpfull. lol as i already know its too high. it did say a few things to try like air leaks and stuff. the usuall stuff but all seams o.k also cleaned out the idle air control valve think ill get myself down the local scrappy tomorrow as i know he has a couple of novas in to rob a few bits off.

there is a slight twist in the tale now tho!!! i was driving it last night and noticed that every time i used the wipers when i switched them off the engine cut out for a split second like the ignition key is switched off then on again and when it dies the eml light flashes on but no code in it.

none of the wires on the wiper motor are trapped or rubbing and ive give all the wires in and around the engine bay a good waggle to make sure there no wires broke but it makes no differance to the engine cutting out so whether or not the park switch on the motor is affecting the ignition i dont know :confused: :cry:

AlexW
15-08-09, 02:11 PM
Could be a earth fault, or dodgy wiring behind the dash.