PDA

View Full Version : Petrol leak

Rysee
13-08-09, 07:34 PM
I have a petrol leak it leaks from the cap, I've had a new one could it be to do with the rubber seal inside?

The bottom of the cap is often wet

Thanks

AlexW
13-08-09, 09:29 PM
Its the ball inside, comes up many times. Did it start after you removed the tank?

Rysee
13-08-09, 09:34 PM
My search failed

No haven't touched anything that's why i thought it'd be a seal

Ball inside tank?

novalicous
13-08-09, 09:46 PM
Theres a small ball(like a ping pong ball) in the filler neck iirc its a anti syphone (sp) device maybe AW06 is saying that they some times manage to come up the neck

mowgli
13-08-09, 09:48 PM
Ball inside tank?

yes.

run the car out of fuel, then using a 5l fuel can, put a litre or enough to get home on. then remove the tank. it is a git as the chimney needs removing, and the h/b cables need undoing. then if you remove the fuel sender, you can get at the ball. refittinf it is tricky, but you'll work it out.

iirc, the plastic insert can be removed from the neck, but the last time i did one, mrs thatcher was still in power.

Rysee
13-08-09, 09:58 PM
yes.

run the car out of fuel, then using a 5l fuel can, put a litre or enough to get home on. then remove the tank. it is a git as the chimney needs removing, and the h/b cables need undoing. then if you remove the fuel sender, you can get at the ball. refittinf it is tricky, but you'll work it out.

iirc, the plastic insert can be removed from the neck, but the last time i did one, mrs thatcher was still in power.

Haha thanks Mowgli, as i don't have a handbrake atm it's a good time to do it, do i need the car really high, need to find some axle stands

Rysee
14-08-09, 10:32 PM
Has anyone got a part number for the ball or do I fix the old one?