PDA

View Full Version : Options on suspension?

scott.parker
13-08-09, 06:48 PM
Right as some of you know i have just bought a 1986 1.2L (it's in my sig)
Im going to get a 1600 servo for it (as the brake's feel so none existent)
and im looking at suspension kits, as i think the poor old girl could do with some nice new shocks and springs, though the ones on it are not too bad, i just do like the unstable feel it has on B roads at 40mph lol

So......

What do people think is the best options?

KYB Shock and some random cheep springs

OR

Jamex full kit?

Pi full kit?

Gmax full kit?

Or other cheep random make full kit?

Any links, help advice, first had experience with any of them makes would be nice to hear of what there like.

PS: don't want no hard ride, just some slightly better, and max of 40mm drop..

Scott

Benn
13-08-09, 06:56 PM
Kyb shocks are ment to be good (i can get them buy one get one half price at the mo)

Jamex springs are ok, fitted them to two astras and a nova, all where nice and handled well.

G-max are cheap and sh*te.

scott.parker
13-08-09, 07:00 PM
Yeah been looking at the KYB gas shocks, there £60-65 for a set, but then your talking about £80 for any random springs etc, so a kit is also a tempting option at £150 start range etc...

Rexy
13-08-09, 07:13 PM
Gmax kits and Jamex are IIRC made in the same place lol.

Tbh scott, Brand new standard shocks all round and a set of 40mm springs, not like your going on track is it lol.

Job done nice and cheap. If you want it all new, You cant really go wrong with a Gmax setup cheap as chips if you can get a kit from halfords for £32 :P

twistysnovagte
13-08-09, 07:16 PM
in my recent experiance get down to your local halfords,i just picked up a full spax rsx adjustable kit for just 50quid,plus there were g-max etc and brake discs(astra gte2.0ltr 16v)ebc drilled and grooved for just a tenner!

scott.parker
13-08-09, 07:19 PM
in my recent experiance get down to your local halfords,i just picked up a full spax rsx adjustable kit for just 50quid,plus there were g-max etc and brake discs(astra gte2.0ltr 16v)ebc drilled and grooved for just a tenner!

WTF buy me some and i'll pay you to post! :eek:

My local helfrauds is rubish....

Rexy
13-08-09, 07:22 PM
twisty, get a me a product code as well please mate. I'll go and have a chat to some lads at ours and see what they have floating around in stock.

twistysnovagte
13-08-09, 07:26 PM
WTF buy me some and i'll pay you to post! :eek:

My local helfrauds is rubish....ill take another look matey np, bear in mind this was around 2 week back so no guarunte's on what is left in there!
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127199&highlight=halfords

twistysnovagte
13-08-09, 07:28 PM
rexy, where would i get the "product code"from?
would it be on the spax box or the reciept?

Jack
13-08-09, 08:13 PM
KYB are good. Pretty sure Mr T uses them as OEM on the Celica...

mowgli
13-08-09, 09:20 PM
putting on a 1600 servo will not help the brakes in the slightest.... i'd guess the hoses need replacing, and maybe a new master cylinder...

Rexy
13-08-09, 09:22 PM
Yeah its on the reciept mate... should be a 6 digit number..

Ash
13-08-09, 09:34 PM
I had KYB shocks supplied with my AVO springs. very pleased with them. If I was buying springs for a daily/semi-daily car I'd use Eibach with no questions. I drove a Fabia VRs with some fitted and thought it was comfyer (?) than standard lol

Cost a bit more, but worth it in my opinon, matched with KYB shocks would be ideal, or even the yellow cheap billies

scott.parker
13-08-09, 09:44 PM
putting on a 1600 servo will not help the brakes in the slightest.... i'd guess the hoses need replacing, and maybe a new master cylinder...

OK so if i put a 1600 servo with the MC and get some good ridge lines do you think that will sort the brakes? lol

mowgli
13-08-09, 09:50 PM
it might, but the 1600 servo is no better than a standard 1.2 one, it just looks nicer. anyway, the rear drums, shoes & adjusters will need attention as well.

scott.parker
13-08-09, 10:05 PM
I see what your saying, so you think if i replace the hose's then that might take some dead feel out, also replace with new shoes on the rear, re new the fluid and just give them a good service this might make them work fine?

Or would it be down to the master cylinder?

The brakes work, i just would like them to be allot better.

What would be your advise for the suspension mate?

mowgli
13-08-09, 10:10 PM
with the brakes, push the pedal down hard when the car is stationary. if the pedal stays in one position, the m/c is ok, if the pedal drops, then it is shot.

the shoes & drums may be ok, but way out of adjustment

as for suspension, i haven't got a clue. std gte would be a hell of an improvement on a pov spec 1.2. its down to how much you are prepared to spend.....

scott.parker
13-08-09, 10:17 PM
Humm well with the engine off the pedal dose drop slightly but i think my old GSi did this too, when you pump it you hear a hiss??

As for shocks/springs this is tempting, or a Jamex set similar price etc, would just paint them black though as don't want nothing leary!

http://www.pi-suspension.co.uk/p1320177.htm

Mowgli, have you seen the car?

Scott

mowgli
13-08-09, 10:28 PM
thats the servo letting its vacuum out. pump it maybe 20-30 times to ensure the vacuum is gone, then push the pedal hard.

i'm sure haven't seen this car.

scott.parker
13-08-09, 10:29 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127734

OK I'll try that mate, so im guessing it might not pass straight through it's mot in November unless i get replacing/and uprating parts....

mowgli
13-08-09, 10:31 PM
i just had a nosey at the thread. i take it you are trying to keep it standard looking..

i can't remember who baxter sold those opel 6j14's (that he got off me) to, but they would look fine on it & 256's would fit under them & still look fairly stock

scott.parker
13-08-09, 10:39 PM
Yeah just want it to look as it does, as in 14" steels and no more then 40mm drop 30mm would be best, clean most of it up, replace rear arches, freshen up any old parts etc, just a restore job, as i love how it looks.

scott

mowgli
13-08-09, 10:41 PM
look at the black rims on here, spudly had them off baxter. click (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120814&page=5&highlight=baxter+wheels)

mowgli
13-08-09, 10:44 PM
see what std gte replacement suspension costs, its about 30mm drop, but the front dampers have the spring seats mounted lower so you get better springing from the longer springs, as opposed to 'lowered' non gte spec ones with shorter springs

djbrowney
13-08-09, 10:46 PM
pm you about some oe bilstein ones i have buddy :thumb: