PDA

View Full Version : 20xe head gasket

comptoncj
13-08-09, 05:52 PM
hello there, i was just trying to help my friend take the head off his 20xe nova ,ive got to the point of lifting the head and it doesnt want to move on the inlet side on the far left, any ideas? and also is it do-able with the engine in the car because there isnt any space to slide the inlet mani out of the way, so i was going to lift the head and then pull towards me and leave the inlet mani there, any other ways of doing it and tips would be greatly appreciated :):) also what is the difference between an f16 and f20 gearbox,

Pistol Pete
13-08-09, 05:56 PM
Might just be tight on the dowel. Check and re check all bolts and brackets are off/loose.

F20's came on C20XE engines not sure what others. F16's came in early Astras and Cavs IIRC. 2 types CR (close ratio) and WR (wide ratio).

I'm sure someone else will post giving you abit more in depth knowledge. Failing that have a search about. Bound to get some answers...on both questins TBH!

comptoncj
13-08-09, 05:59 PM
cheers chap, its defo free of the dowells it just wont lift, is there a water pipe or something im not seeing?

Pistol Pete
13-08-09, 06:07 PM
Bracket round the back, under the inlet maybe?

Just have a good poke around. Really easy to miss something obvious!!!!

comptoncj
13-08-09, 06:14 PM
well yeah, im doing it for my mate as he did most of it and then got in a muddle so yeah maybe i should check under it, its a right pain tho because im trying to do it on his driveway and cant realy get underneath it :(

philip
13-08-09, 09:09 PM
may be stupid but have you took the two screws/bolts out the timing back plate and slacked the cam pulleys so can move them off the cam to clear the timing backing plate?

comptoncj
14-08-09, 12:18 PM
yeah i did that had to chisel them out aparently its common for them to not want to come out, ive been told its the stabilizer bar on the back of the inlet manifold thats the problem, thanks anyway, :)