PDA

View Full Version : 1600 8v engines

Martin
13-08-09, 01:08 PM
Excuse my ignorance but its been a long time since ive botherd with anything like this soo please bare with me

IIRc theres 2 types of MPI engines? one from GTE N GSI's are diferent?

and whats the best way to "tune" them i'm wanting to stay on Injection..

Cheers martin:thumb:

Stuart
13-08-09, 01:10 PM
whats the budget/desired outcome?

Martin
13-08-09, 01:14 PM
budget well about 1k ish mayeb abit more..

Fast road/track car.. nothing silly just some fun

also CBA with an XE lol

cheers

Iain
13-08-09, 01:15 PM
Two different MPI engines: E16SE and C16SE. Mostly the same but there's a few different types, e.g. distributor or dispak.

Martin
13-08-09, 01:16 PM
which is "better" E16 or C16?

Stuart
13-08-09, 01:19 PM
imho, they are both as good as each other, esp when 'tuning'

is the engine std at the moment? (air filter and 4 branch dont count as mods in my book)

Martin
13-08-09, 01:22 PM
i havent got the engine yet but yet it will be standerd.

Stuart
13-08-09, 01:25 PM
If I were doing it....

get a sub £500 aftermarket ecu, get a kent ast2 or piper bp300 cam and find a bigger TB for the inlet.

jobs a carrot for about a grand :d

Martin
13-08-09, 01:32 PM
What management would you recomend? Megasquirt? also what TB can i use?

Than the normal 4branch and decent exhaust system?

Cheers

Edit: i'll have to fanny about with gettin the manage ment set up right?

Stuart
13-08-09, 01:49 PM
you could use MS if you know someone local who can map it (or if you are willing to have a go yourself). I'd also look for a DTA EXP48 2nd hand should be less than £500sheets with a partial loom.

Martin
13-08-09, 01:56 PM
cheers dude..

i just fancy building an engine before i buy the shell for it to go in.. then theres no messing about... wel not as much

teej
29-08-09, 11:05 PM
If I were doing it....

get a sub £500 aftermarket ecu, get a kent ast2 or piper bp300 cam and find a bigger TB for the inlet.

jobs a carrot for about a grand :d

Do those cams need any other engine work (pocketed pistons or other bottom end bits, or different sprins / lifters)? I've currently got a piper fast road cam and fancy a bit more power. Engine is on twin 40s, which I think I may have to have set up again soon anyway, so may as well do any other work now before that is done.

Has anyone used Catcams? Interested in their 340 cam, too.

What's a decent exhaust manifold for that spec engine? Does an aftermarket one make much difference on these engines?

Cheers :thumb:

Nick
29-08-09, 11:19 PM
Do those cams need any other engine work (pocketed pistons or other bottom end bits, or different sprins / lifters)? I've currently got a piper fast road cam and fancy a bit more power. Engine is on twin 40s, which I think I may have to have set up again soon anyway, so may as well do any other work now before that is done.

Has anyone used Catcams? Interested in their 340 cam, too.

What's a decent exhaust manifold for that spec engine? Does an aftermarket one make much difference on these engines?

Cheers :thumb:

No, the AST2 and Piper BP300 do not require any additional engine bits. I know the Complete kent kit will come with some Kent "Uprated" lifters and stiffer springs - But neither are a neccesity. Infact, the Kent lifters have much lower quality casting compared to the GM ones - I stuck with the GM items and chucked the kent ones away.

Although i've just said neither require any other modifications, there is no point sticking a camshaft in that has a powerband of 3500-8500 when your standard bottom end isn't going to be too happy revving in excess of 8k. As a bare minimum i'd suggest fitting some ARP rod bolts if you're wanting to use the full powerband that the AST2 or BP300 offer... Also, if your wanting a daily driver - even the AST2 is a bit poo under 2-3k, although you can compensate for this with the carb setup.

Go for a cheap Ashley 4-1 manifold, mines still going strong, cheap as anything .

Stuart
30-08-09, 07:36 AM
340!!!!!! feckig hell what are you after? lol

305 is about the max I'd go personally.

If your carbs need "setting up again" then a) they werent done by someone who knows what carbs are and b.) you need to make sure the spindles arent bent from the throttle pedal straining the linkage

teej
30-08-09, 10:33 AM
340 is the cam code, and doesn't refer to the duration. ;) After a bit of further reading I agree it might be too much (311, 4.6), but could still like to know if anyone has used it. Info is on the Catcams site.

I don't know for sure who did the webers when the engine was built. It was bought as a "spare" race car, and hasn't really run in anger in two years, and very little in the while before that. I suppose it's more of a check than anything, but something I'd like to get done as I've got it back on the road now.