PDA

View Full Version : Dodgyness

Benjoyce
26-02-03, 02:05 PM
I've just had my 1.4sr lowered and rung the garage. he said that he didn't cut the bumpstops down, just removed the dust cap. and the springs will need wiring to the coils?!?!? does this sound dodgy to anyone?

Aragorn
26-02-03, 02:31 PM
how much was it lowered??

mines on -40 and im almost certain the guy didnt chop the bump stops and its defo still got the original dust cap on the front

the rear has no dust cap at all which i was semi pissed about

but its fine nehow

Benjoyce
26-02-03, 02:33 PM
i've gone for -40. does it matter that the dust covers aren't on? and that the bumpstiops aren't cut? i'm gonna get shocks in a month or two anyhow so i'll get it sorted if it f#cks me about

Jim
26-02-03, 03:05 PM
The springs will need wiring to the coils because if you go over a large bump in the road and the rear in particular almost comes of the road, the springs may pop out of there seat. You should be alright once you get uprated shocks to compensate for the lowered springs, but in the meantime it might be worth using some cable ties or some wire to help keep the springs in place.

As for the bumpstops, I'm not sure about these. I remember a garage saying something about needing new bumpstops, so I got some from Vauxhall, but they were the wrong size :?: or for the wrong part of the suspension. From what the garage were saying, you can get bumpstops for the shock, and bumpstops for the spring. Either way, I had the suspension fitted about a year ago and it's been ok. I've just got some springs re-profiled though to give me a -90mm drop at the back and -70mm at the front. Should be intresting to see what what happens when I fit them, LOL.

Jim

Benjoyce
26-02-03, 03:09 PM
cheers amte, i sort of understood the bit about wiring anyhow, but was just checkin he were'nt a mega dodgy mechanic!! but the garage is 2 doors from me so they can't get away if anything goes wrong!!

jatinder
26-02-03, 05:59 PM
is it just me i thought you need bumpstops and my car lowered 60mm and it still got the orignal bumpstops?

Ben (lurk75)
26-02-03, 07:07 PM
If you go into a big pothole or similar your car will feel like its bottoming out but it isnt its only hitting the bumpsotps, if you cut them down there will be more give for the springs and therefore wont feel like your bttoming your car.

I think not 100% but thats what i belive to be correct.

mikeoxford
26-02-03, 09:02 PM
how much they about?

so will it stop the bottoming feeling? i assume this does damage if u hit a large hole and stress on the turret

whitey
26-02-03, 11:59 PM
You can buy "uprated" bump stops whcih are literally smaller ones! Usually from peeps like Koni! they come with the kit sometimes! Not too sure bout all of it but know u can do that instead of chop originals!