PDA

View Full Version : rebuild

jatinder
26-02-03, 10:27 AM
My cars still on the orignal engine with 126,000 miles now and although pulls strong its loseing o a bit of oil every month, doesnt blow any smoke, i was just thinking of getting it rebuit biut im not too sure in the cost involved does anyone Know a rough cost to rebuild my engine it a sri by the way.

Jim
26-02-03, 10:38 AM
If it's leaking oil you might just need new gaskets rather than a full re-build.

It depends how much work you get done on the rebuild. If you do decide to get it rebuilt, get the head ported and polished whilst it's in the garage. Also, why not get the bottom end bored out to 1450cc or maybe even more? Theres so much that can be done to an engine during a re-build. Phone a few companies up and see how much they charge, if it's less than what you expect, then get some internal engine modifications done, it'll be well worth it :)

Jim

mikeoxford
26-02-03, 10:50 AM
and also internal engine mods, at your own risk of course, arent dectable to most insuracne men and especially police if they want to look underneath.

talking of dodgy insurance, i know someone who drives a 2ltr 8v, and hes done it to look EXACTLY like the 1.4 NV engine that came out

rgv_stu
26-02-03, 11:50 AM
my rebuild cost ?30
basicaly a gasket set and a new ring (which i broke ;) )

i ported the head and inlet manifold while it was apart then just a clean and rebuild basically

valve stem seals is probably the cause of your oil loss for which just head rebuild would cure

Nova-Boy
26-02-03, 12:49 PM
if the valve stem seals had broke then it would be blowing smoke and he said its was loosing oil but not blowing smoke.

Get under the car and give the sump a good clean and see if you can spot where the oil is comming from. It could be as simple as tightening the sump screw or gaskets.

jatinder
26-02-03, 05:52 PM
i think its the sump coz there oil round there but it has never dripped oil on my driveway and it doesnt blow any smoke so were is it going! might just drink a bit of oil well put it this way last year it was running on mobil 1 and for the whole year it used a 1 liter of spare oil( those little containers of oil to top up) so is that a lot really or am i just worrying bout nothing?

Ste_Nova
26-02-03, 08:07 PM
mobil 1 is too thin... my sr used to burn/leak it like water.... run it on vaux semi

mikeoxford
26-02-03, 08:58 PM
castrol GTX 15/40 works fine, no leaks

jatinder
26-02-03, 09:04 PM
no what i mean for a year i was running it on mobil 1 now i run it on castrol gtx magnetec 10/40 but it still loses oil also it taps really badly on startup in mornings why is that?