PDA

View Full Version : Side Repeater Query

G-nova
11-08-09, 10:52 PM
Hi, i have a G-reg nova and was wondering if i can legally remove side repeaters without putting them on mirrors or anything. i have noticed that A and B reg nova's dont have them. all info much appreciated thanks

brainsnova
11-08-09, 10:53 PM
g reg needs them.

G-nova
12-08-09, 12:33 AM
so if i smoothed them out it would fail MOT?

Simon 1867
12-08-09, 12:35 AM
so if i smoothed them out it would fail MOT?

as i belive it, a car fitted with side repeaters as standard from the factory need to retain them.It will fail an M.O.T if removed.

Same goes for seatbelts in the back.My A-reg doesnt have side repeaters or rear seatbelts and doesnt require them by law

brainsnova
12-08-09, 12:35 AM
depends on the m.o.t person.

G-nova
12-08-09, 12:36 AM
can you get wings without siderepeater holes?

stevie-p
12-08-09, 12:38 AM
yes and it's there not needed in ireland i believe i may be wrong

wwmnw
12-08-09, 12:39 AM
can you get wings without siderepeater holes?

I would imagine so if the early MK1 Nova's didn't have side repeaters.

Steve
12-08-09, 12:42 AM
I was told that new wings dont come with the holes, but it would be easier to just weld up your holes. I think the law is you have to be able to see the indicators on the side of the car from from mid 85> So unless you fit them elsewhere you may not pass an mot.

Novasport
12-08-09, 12:47 AM
yes and it's there not needed in ireland i believe i may be wrong

He does not live in Ireland lol

Side repeaters rear seatbelts were a legal requirement from 87 onwards.
It will fail an MOT without them apart from the seatbelts which you can get arounf by removing the rear seats completely but again thats down to the tester.

G-nova
12-08-09, 12:50 AM
Thanks guys for the advice, i think i might do it. Im going to think about it more first though.

Jack
12-08-09, 08:00 AM
Incidentally, a Mk2 can get away without side repeaters as the front indicator wraps round the wing enough to cover it.

From the MOT manual:

Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986
These must be fitted with one side repeater indicator on each side. Instead of a separate lamp, the side repeater might be part of the front direction indicator if it includes a wraparound lens. (See information on following page).

Lamps incorporating a side repeater are marked either with an 'E' mark in a circle or an 'e' mark in a rectangle above which is a number 5. Some vehicles are fitted with a wraparound lens with no European approval markings. These can be tested by standing approximately 1000mm to the side of the vehicles rear bumper with indicator on. If amber light can be seen coming through the front lens (not a reflection) this is acceptable.

G-nova
12-08-09, 02:34 PM
Thats interesting like, never knew that.

L33 LEG
12-08-09, 02:50 PM
iv always thought it was fine on a mk2 as the fronts are visable from the side. iv never had them on mine, but then again iv never had a fully legit mot station lol il find out when i get it mot'd next time

raymond
12-08-09, 04:28 PM
i didnt have any on one of my gtes of previous that didnt fail on no side repeaters as said before it does go on the mot testers discretion really