PDA

View Full Version : Carb Inlet Manifolds for a 1.6 GTE engine

_JH_
26-02-03, 12:49 AM
I am thinkin of putting a carb on my gte engine (when i finally find a decent shell for it to go in). The Carb I have decided on is a weber 32/34 dft.

I need to know which inlet manifolds (if not all) will fit the head, so i can decide which one i'd prefer to use.

i know i will need to adapt it to fit the carb. thats not a problem

mikeoxford
26-02-03, 01:08 AM
in a quest to firther my knowledge - why have u stumped for that carb?

_JH_
26-02-03, 01:42 AM
to try something a little different, yet down tried and tested routes. the 32/34dmtl seems to be very popular on the 8valve vaux engines giving good results.

the dft is similar in design, i.e it doesnt like like a dcoe. um, its kinda hard to describe the carb in words at this stupid hour. i think i've got a pdf document of it i found on the web somewhere, i'll email it to you at novaland.

as for why, i'm gonna try it. if the reults arent as good as a dmtl, i'll opt for something else. i have decided on it based on own knowledge and advice off a couple of old boys who used to tune ford anglias etc when they were in their 20s. it kinda frustrates me sometimes when people just post 'whats the best carb' blah blah and go solely on advice from here. (even though it is a great pool of knowledge and experience)

MC
26-02-03, 07:53 AM
Hi,

Good to see someone thinking of new things, but I'm pretty sure that you will actually loose power with that carb. The reason the ford Anglia owners had success was that the standard carbs were very small and restrictive, whereas the GTE engine has something like a 60mm TB. The Smaller 8 valve 1.3 and 1.4 had something like a 26 and 28mm choke. Using smaller chokes of 32 and 34 will prove more restrictive, and the carb overall will be less flexible. You can go to a carb and gain power, but it will need to be bigger.

This is my opinion, and If you do go ahead, let me know your results.

MC

_JH_
26-02-03, 01:45 PM
i did think about that, considering the intake on the 32/34dft is about 17cm?, and the 60mm throttle body is about28cm?, but I understood the bosch airflow sensor was very restrictive. it would be interesting if anyone knows the area of it at the narrowest point? (if you know what i mean, i dont know anything about the bosch jetronic airflow sensor)

the other carb options i considered were a single 40 dcnf (i think thats the name, like a dcoe but a downdraught version), with about a 28cm? area (actually a little smaller than the TB if you work it out to the nearest millimetre)

or the twin square shaped choke carbs that came in 38/38 and 40/40 that were commonly used as upgrades for the opel varajet carb. the 38 giving again about 28cm?, the 40 giving about 32cm?. as far as i know these are quite commonly found in scrapyards on opel mantas (mantamad may confirm this)

i've got a few exploded diagrams of the carbs i considered in .pdf files i found on some website, but cant remember what it was called. i'll try and upload them to my website and post links (not a nova site, but you can have a look at some raleigh burner bmxs while your there lol)

_JH_
27-02-03, 12:23 AM
so does anyone know the answer to the original question about what manifolds fit the 1.6 head?

what about the area of the airflow sensor at its narrowest point?

here's a pic of the 32/34 dft for mike:

http://members.tripod.co.uk/magburner/nova/

MC
27-02-03, 01:37 PM
The airflow sensor is a greater diameter than the butterfly. No extra restriction.

The 1.4 sri manifold will fit, but will be no help. The 1.3SR manifold with a little welding and porting of the head will fit. Alo of work though. You need someone who can weld aluminium.

MC

_JH_
27-02-03, 01:56 PM
I've got someone who can weld aluminium, but if its a lot of work to match manifold to head, what other heads will fit without raising the compression ratio to something stupid? I understand the 1.2/3 heads are the best.

_JH_
03-03-03, 10:45 AM
I take it none will then.

will the inlet manifold from an astra 1.6 carb fit my gte engine?

also does anyone know where I can get a full list of vaux engine codes?

cheers

Aragorn
03-03-03, 11:29 AM
any head off a smaller engine will raise compression

a 1600 astra carb head will lower it since most of the larger carb engines are "N"'s meaning low compression compared to the gte

tbh mate the ONLY outcome is gonn be less power and more issues with general running, carb icing etc

either stick with the standard shiz or fit a set of 40's

spend the money on a cam kit or summat

or collect all the parts to build a turbocharged 1600 8v

_JH_
03-03-03, 11:53 AM
any head off a smaller engine will raise compression

no sh*t, but i was asking if any raised the compression within normal levels.

a 1600 astra carb head will lower it since most of the larger carb engines are "N"'s meaning low compression compared to the gte

indeed, but what about the question i asked, will the inlet manifold fit? (without MAJOR work)

tbh mate the ONLY outcome is gonn be less power and more issues with general running, carb icing etc

less power than what? if you mean less power than the original gte engine, maybe so, but with the original gte head, ported and polished, and a big enough carb, as mentioned above, good results are possible.

either stick with the standard shiz or fit a set of 40's

spend the money on a cam kit or summat

or collect all the parts to build a turbocharged 1600 8v

will get cam too, either a 275 or 285 degree, and for the work involved building a 1600 8 valve turbo, compaired to the reliability, no thanks.

not havin a go at you personally, but i joined this site to get advice that will save trial and error time. whenever someone has a slightly different idea, everyone says " don't bother! stick 40s/ a dmtl/ a valver in it "

luckily i dont listen, but a lot of learners/new drivers who are still learning the basics of car mechanics and havent had experience through big brothers/older mates etc and want to try new things on their engines must get put off ideas that were perfectly fesable (spelling). cant wait to see results from "MC"s 1.2 build to shut a few people up.

Ste_Nova
03-03-03, 12:27 PM
isn't mc fitting 40s to his 1.2

mc are u using a short stroke 1.2 carb or a long stroke 1.2i?

_JH_
03-03-03, 12:32 PM
isn't mc fitting 40s to his 1.2

:lol:

yeah i know, but you get the idea of what i was sayin

Aragorn
03-03-03, 02:01 PM
ok sorry for seeming so negative

the astra inlet will physically bolt onto the head from the GTE but the manifold has slightly larger ports and most certainly differenct shaped ports iirc which could cause issues

someone mentioned in another post u can get 170bhp from an E16SE on relativly standard injection - it would be interesting to see what was used to get those kinda power levels

i personally dont like carbs hence why i was pushing u away from them :D they are too mechanical for my liking, and i'd prefer a nice ECU controlled setup any day be it TB's or normal MPi

however i think the biggest issue at hand will be the airflow into the engine, are twin choke carbs available with 40mm "bores" or what ever they are called? summat like the 32/34DTML cept like 40/44 or summat

u will prolly be best off getting a custom made inlet manifold since that way u can ensure the ports are nice and large for plenty of airflow, either that or u could heavily port out the astra carb manifold you were referring to above

what would actually be more interesting is someone doing summat like this with a twin barrel TBI unit (similar to whats used on the single point injection engines) - i was gonna take summat like this on myself and decided to just plump for the trusty L3.1 Jetronic instead

as far as the physics go and if i remember what i read correctly the TBI is a nice balance between the low down torque of a tuned port (MPI) system and a carbed system where the torque tends to be closer to the top end - i may be talking complete shite however :D

_JH_
05-03-03, 12:52 AM
however i think the biggest issue at hand will be the airflow into the engine, are twin choke carbs available with 40mm "bores" or what ever they are called? summat like the 32/34DTML cept like 40/44 or summat

take a look at the link i posted further up the page of the shortlist. weber made numerous variations of twin choke carbs, its a toss up between how easy the will be to adapt and what gains can be had. its all a long way off yet. stripped the bottom end yesterday, and the bearings etc have all been recently replaced as the crank has had some work on it, so too has the flywheel. gotta get quotes for reboring and oversize pistons yet to see if its worth me making a long trip to a mate who'll do it for free.

then there's the rest of the head work too, so no rush yet and its gonna be a while until i find a nice shell so the engine is being done slowly in spare time. i'm not made of money so these things have to take time.