PDA

View Full Version : strange steering feeling

burgo
10-08-09, 11:17 PM
my car has been doing something odd and i dont like it lol. sometimes when you go into a fast long sweeping right hander it feels like its sliding or as if the steering wheel is slipping, its hard to explain. also sometimes when you lob it into a slow tight right hander theres a knock/bang.

its hard to diagnose tho as it only does it every now and again. in about 100miles i did yesturday it did it 3 times and scared the poop out of me lol

any ideas guru's ??

stevie-p
10-08-09, 11:18 PM
i had the same and found my strut tops were loose it felt like a tyre when it's flat and they fold over lol

brainsnova
10-08-09, 11:18 PM
how does the front crossmember look

burgo
10-08-09, 11:22 PM
cross member is brand new

stevie surely that would cause it all the time or was it random? and i assume you mean the big nut in the middle or the two 13's?

stevie-p
10-08-09, 11:25 PM
cross member is brand new

stevie surely that would cause it all the time or was it random? and i assume you mean the big nut in the middle or the two 13's?

the 2 13's and no it only happend driving hard around roundabouts or a 90 + degree corner and it caused a loud knocking every now and again
then it would dissapear and come back again

burgo
10-08-09, 11:27 PM
what about the strange sliding feeling?

stevie-p
10-08-09, 11:30 PM
yes it did that on the rounabouts and sharpish corners when pushing hardish
it never actually slid though just felt as if it was
it may not be the same problem but it is a possibility

burgo
10-08-09, 11:32 PM
yes mine isn't actually slidding but feels like it is. proper head **** lol and scary at 90 lol. cheers fella ill give them a check tomorra

stevie-p
10-08-09, 11:33 PM
yes mine isn't actually slidding but feels like it is. proper head **** lol and scary at 90 lol. cheers fella ill give them a check tomorra

no problem lol

brainsnova
10-08-09, 11:41 PM
i had the same feeling in a corsa and the top mount were worn causing excessive play.

Guderian
11-08-09, 05:21 PM
....or bottom balljoint. creates a very odd feeling sometimes.

Check the rear wheel bearings have minimal play. (unlikely to be this but you never know)

burgo
11-08-09, 11:04 PM
i wouldnt have thought the bearings would create a bang tho. ill check it anyway

i checked the two 13's and the passenger ones wernt FT but they were done up. the are FT now so we'll see if its sorted it

Lee
11-08-09, 11:09 PM
....or bottom balljoint. creates a very odd feeling sometimes.

I agree. Also check the bolts that hold the balljoint to the TCA / Tiebar. There is a bit of play when they are loose which will create a weird feeling and a clunk

burgo
11-08-09, 11:34 PM
i assume jacking it up and shaking fook out of the wheel will show any balljoint play??

floydy13
11-08-09, 11:37 PM
get a lever in there!

Lee
12-08-09, 09:41 AM
i assume jacking it up and shaking fook out of the wheel will show any balljoint play??

I had a similar issue on the blue one when I first got it, and the ball joint boltw sere loose enough to move under load but tight enough to not move by hand.

Get a spanner on everything on the front end mate.