PDA

View Full Version : Twin Switch / Boot Release

joeczucha
25-02-03, 10:21 PM
Ok done a twin switch conv. to have another button on the dash next to the fog light. Sprayed this with black paint and stencilled on a white boot open shape so it matches the other and looks prime. Thing is though if i connect this up to the solenoid in the back directly then i willneed to press it once to pop open the boot and then once again to disengage the power and release the solenoid making the boot closable agian. Any wa to make this work as a simple PushToMake switch so that i dont' have to rehit it? J Ps. As you can tell i'm a bit of a perfectionist!

Ballsy
25-02-03, 10:34 PM
yeah you will have to press it again to reset the relay switch, not sure how to connect it so u only need to press it once!! when u find out could u mail mail cause av got the same problem!!

Ballsy

_JH_
25-02-03, 10:54 PM
i think this was argued a day or two ago in another post. a solenoid is a little like an elctric motor in that when a current passes through it it is an electromagnetic field generates force, well kinda.

when you pull the handle for your boot, a rod is pushed up, when you let go, the spring in the mechanism pushes the catch back to the close position.

when the switch is depressed, the core of the solenoid is pushed outwards, this will push the rod in the same way the handle would when you pull it. the boot will pop up a little in the same way as when you open it manually. as soon as the swicth is released, the electromagnetic force in the solenoid is gone, and whether or not the solenoid has its own return spring, the spring in the boot mechanism will reset it.

if it doesnt, you havent done it properly. as usual theres probably a guide on... (thats your cue mike)

mikeoxford
26-02-03, 12:06 AM
i think this was argued a day or two ago in another post.

THANKYOU for saving me!

if it doesnt, you havent done it properly. as usual theres probably a guide on... (thats your cue mike)

hmmm.... cant think i forgetful nowadays, its in my footer somewhere :? :lol:

erm

only thing ill add to your replys is i dont no how you will do the switch,

u cud always take it apart see if u cud remove the latch bit? so it does just push and not click.

another idea would be to remove the insides of the switch, fit a simple push button behind and use the casing of the switch and switch button itself

you did say you was a perfectionist ;)

mikeoxford
26-02-03, 12:07 AM
oh yeah where did u get a boot stencil from?

joeczucha
26-02-03, 09:17 PM
copied it off my bosses new fiesta - man i looked like a prick asking if i could take a photo of his boot button with my digital camera :lol: