PDA

View Full Version : mk1 heater plug with mk2 dash prob

stevei
10-08-09, 10:18 PM
After reading the article in the how to section i'm still having some problems. I've tested the heater fan direct with 12volt and it works, the fuse is okay.

this is what I'm left with on the loom:
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7126/heaters.jpg
and this is the mark 1 plug:
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/308/heaters1.jpg

just need to know what to join with what. If i go for the colours to match, i seem to have a yellow wire spare of the car loom!:confused:

help would be mint

cheers

ste

stevei
10-08-09, 10:20 PM
Jesus! why the hell are my pics so Big!!!:eek:

brainsnova
10-08-09, 11:17 PM
my screen isnt big enough to see your pics lol

Jack
11-08-09, 07:54 AM
I can't see imageshack/photobucket pics at work, so can't see what you've got. I do recall the wires aren't all colour for colour though (I'm sure the yellow swaps with a blue or something...). I did a diagram somewhere, but again its hosted on photobucket so I won't be able to find it til I get home

[edit] Just had a look back at my guide. This is how I wired the two conversions I've done:

MK1 BL (blue) - GE (yellow) MK2
MK1 GR (grey) - GR (grey) MK2
MK1 GE (yellow) - SW (black) MK2
MK1 BR (brown) - BR (brown) MK2
MK1 BRWS (brown/white) - BRSW (brown/white) MK2
MK1 SW (black) - BL (blue) MK2

Some people say they've done it like for like, but I took mine apart, re-connected it like for like, and it didn't work, so put it back as above and it worked lol

[edit again] I have a feeling that ^ may be using the Mk1 plug and rotating the wires around...

stevei
12-08-09, 10:18 PM
now edited with some normal size pics:thumb:

do you find that diagram razorjack

cheers

ste

Jack
13-08-09, 05:25 PM
No, I saved over the top of it with the hazard diagram. Doh.

and this is the mark 1 plug:
Do you mean Mk2? As if the plug is Mk1 and the loom is Mk1 surely you should have a yellow in the loom?

stevei
13-08-09, 07:45 PM
thats the confusing part. i bought the car already converted with the dash fitted and heaters not working. so i'm not sure the plug is mark one:confused: maybe it is 'cause as you say the plug has no yellow wire:confused:

my brain just exploded ( i hate wires )

ste

Jack
13-08-09, 08:24 PM
Let me go get the Haynes.... lol

Jack
13-08-09, 08:51 PM
I'm not convinced thats a heated RW blower plug tbh. ALL the haynes wiring diags list the looped wire as being black, yet in your pic its brown...

The car should have 6 wires - BL, GE, GE, SW, BR and BRWS. The plug should have the same wires, but the black terminal will have an extra black wire which loops back into another terminal.

stevei
13-08-09, 10:02 PM
right, i'm with you mate. i can now re-wire this plug and start again. i'm thinking this plug is of a poverty spec nova as there is no yellow wire coming from the plug on the bottom right as you look at it. this one connects to the back of the with the terminal numbered '1' on the back of the switch.

on the back of the switch it looks like this:

........light light
........R ......H+
......G+......... 3
........1...... 2

bearing in mind my car does'nt have a heated rear screen ( polcarb ) so i'm not bothered about that. what wires out of the car loom need to go where?

cheers razor:thumb:

ste

Jack
13-08-09, 11:18 PM
hold up, I missed a bit on the haynes diagram - there is a brown loop :thumb:

1 = BL = blower (speed 1)
2 = GR = blower (speed 2)
3 = GE = Blower (speed 3)
H+ = BR = Earth (loops to H-)
R = BRWS = Heated RW
G+ = SW = power (loops to 58 for heated RW lamp)

stevei
14-08-09, 09:51 PM
cheers for that razor your a legend mate:thumb:

so got the heaters working on speed 1 and 3. even got the light working! with a bit of help from my mate at work who cut the plug and filled the blank hole with a terminal. then i looked at the wires i had in the loom. ignoring the colours on the plug and working from your guide i wired it in using a new 12volt supply the i fitted a inline 20amp fuse to it. sorted. the bulb normally used by the heater direction bit ( which is now blanked off ) nicked the wires for that, for the light. sorted. think its only not working on speed 2 because of the resister. i'm happy its now working on 1 and 3, its better than nowt

thanks again for the help bud

ste