PDA

View Full Version : nova 2 litre 8 valve running problems

jaye
10-08-09, 06:38 PM
ive recently finishd of my conversion and cant get it running right it keeps spluttering and holds its self back through the revs ive changd the plugs.leads.dizzy cap.airflow meter dne the timing and still no bettar any one knw wats up

jimbob-mcgrew
10-08-09, 06:49 PM
sounds like it might not be getting enough fuel. does it idle smoothly ? or rough from the off ?

jaye
10-08-09, 08:32 PM
sounds like it might not be getting enough fuel. does it idle smoothly ? or rough from the off ?
yeah mate it idles ok but soon as ya put the throttle on full it slputters and dies down

Rickyb
10-08-09, 08:38 PM
it sounds like fuel starvation to me

jaye
11-08-09, 07:28 AM
yeah thats what it sounds like does any one knw what i can do if it is fuel starvation

jimbob-mcgrew
11-08-09, 03:18 PM
when in neautral and stationary, does it rev up fine, but when u go to drive it, as soon as theres some load on it, it spluts and dies ?

simplest thing i can think of is a blocked fuel filter.

u live in warwickshire ?

naah it wouldnt be fuel filter would it, i was forgetting yours was mpi, and they need to maintain high pressure on the injectors, i doubt it would idle if the pressure wasnt enough.

u got the lambda sensor on the exhaust downpipe plugged into the ecu loom ?

actually naah again, that wouldnt make that much difference, ummm... im running out of ideas lol

hows about u pull the plugs out and see if there bleached white or black as soot, youll soon know if its under or over fueling, prob make diagnosis easier :thumb:

Maka
11-08-09, 03:56 PM
Checking the fuel pump could be an easy fix.
If its idles fine but hesitates when revved then the pressure may not be as high as it requires.
What was the shell powered by originally?
Have you changed the pump whilst doing the conversion?

jaye
11-08-09, 07:55 PM
when in neautral and stationary, does it rev up fine, but when u go to drive it, as soon as theres some load on it, it spluts and dies ?

simplest thing i can think of is a blocked fuel filter.

u live in warwickshire ?

naah it wouldnt be fuel filter would it, i was forgetting yours was mpi, and they need to maintain high pressure on the injectors, i doubt it would idle if the pressure wasnt enough.

u got the lambda sensor on the exhaust downpipe plugged into the ecu loom ?

actually naah again, that wouldnt make that much difference, ummm... im running out of ideas lol

hows about u pull the plugs out and see if there bleached white or black as soot, youll soon know if its under or over fueling, prob make diagnosis easier :thumb:
no mate it still runs ****e when in neutral.am from county durham mate

jaye
11-08-09, 08:49 PM
Checking the fuel pump could be an easy fix.
If its idles fine but hesitates when revved then the pressure may not be as high as it requires.
What was the shell powered by originally?
Have you changed the pump whilst doing the conversion?
ive changd the pump.it was origanally a 1.4 sr

Sloth
11-08-09, 09:27 PM
swirl pot type tank? no?

General Baxter
11-08-09, 09:31 PM
swirl pot type tank? no?

wont make a diff, as its not moving,

what pump have you got ?

jaye
12-08-09, 09:56 AM
swirl pot type tank? no?
how do you know if ìt is a swirl pot type ? the tank is origanally off a 1.4 single point

jaye
12-08-09, 10:02 AM

what pump have you got ?
the pumps a corsa gsi one internal

jaye
12-08-09, 10:06 AM

what pump have you got ?
its a corsa gsi internal one i was told would it be best to use an external

jaye
13-08-09, 03:55 PM
anyone !!

jimbob-mcgrew
13-08-09, 06:29 PM
for a friends xe conversion from carb to injection, he changed the petrol tank for an injection model and fitted an external pump aswel. is yours just running the tank pump ?

external pumps are kinda pricey tho new, be worth your while raiding a scrappy for a used one, but get some electric on it and make sure it pumps before u pay for it as they have a tendancy to seize when left for ages or in bad conditions.

someone said something about mk.3 astra tank pumps fit and work ? i might be wrong tho.

Plug
13-08-09, 06:59 PM
im guessing mate that its the wrong fuel pump.

Get one from a 2L 8v cav or a MPI mk3 astra one.

tashley6
13-08-09, 09:25 PM
I've dun the 2.0 8v conversion on my 1.2 saloon and used origanal fule lines and a gte fule pump and have no probs!!! I had the same prob as u on a corsa red top and it might sound daft but go through every plug in ur wireing loom and spray with wd40 even the ecu plug it cured that any more probs ring me 07983475752 ash

mowgli
13-08-09, 09:53 PM
it sounds like sticking afm, or throttle switch. are you getting any fault codes showing???

jaye
14-08-09, 04:18 PM
for a friends xe conversion from carb to injection, he changed the petrol tank for an injection model and fitted an external pump aswel. is yours just running the tank pump ?

external pumps are kinda pricey tho new, be worth your while raiding a scrappy for a used one, but get some electric on it and make sure it pumps before u pay for it as they have a tendancy to seize when left for ages or in bad conditions.

someone said something about mk.3 astra tank pumps fit and work ? i might be wrong tho.
alrite mate yeah am using an in tank pump the car was a 1,4 i before hand so never botherd replacing the tank.all have a trip down the scrappy for a mk 3 pump see if that fettles it

jaye
14-08-09, 04:28 PM
im guessing mate that its the wrong fuel pump.

Get one from a 2L 8v cav or a MPI mk3 astra one.
will those both be in tank ones mate

jaye
14-08-09, 04:36 PM
I've dun the 2.0 8v conversion on my 1.2 saloon and used origanal fule lines and a gte fule pump and have no probs!!! I had the same prob as u on a corsa red top and it might sound daft but go through every plug in ur wireing loom and spray with wd40 even the ecu plug it cured that any more probs ring me 07983475752 ash
ill give that ago and get back to you mate

jaye
14-08-09, 04:47 PM
it sounds like sticking afm, or throttle switch. are you getting any fault codes showing???
av changed both mate.theres no fault codes showing either

jaye
14-08-09, 04:55 PM
av changed both mate.theres no fault codes showing either

tashley6
15-08-09, 02:38 PM
you gave it ago yet not saying it will cure it but sounds just like what my red top wa doing

jaye
19-08-09, 05:02 PM
you gave it ago yet not saying it will cure it but sounds just like what my red top wa doing
Av tried it mate still no bettar am running out of options

tashley6
20-08-09, 10:31 PM
Av tried it mate still no bettar am running out of options
I cud be dragging air round manifold or arw thay new? Did u see engine running befor u put it in car?

Sloth
21-08-09, 05:08 PM
change the crank sensor, mine did thid, the wires had corroded internally, and use a new one!!!!