PDA

View Full Version : Couple of wiring problems

Steve
10-08-09, 03:00 PM
My novas now back on the road but for some reason the temperature gauge decided to pack up last night, it was working fine one minute now not at all. Previously when it was working sometimes it would move up and down a bit when hot but ive checked all the connections and they all seem fine.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d9/novamyth/Sr%20Pics/beige%20beast/Picture1001.jpg

The other one is the fan not working when the engine gets hot, well it doesnt when the engines running but when I switched it off and put the ignition back on yesterday and came on. :confused:

Ive got a spare wire which im not sure where it goes, the thin black one goes to a wire off the injector loom but below my headlight adjuster theres a thick black wire which I can't remember where it went.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d9/novamyth/Sr%20Pics/beige%20beast/Picture1000.jpg

16v Nova Kev
10-08-09, 03:30 PM
iirc the blacks are just earths

AlexW
10-08-09, 03:38 PM
Blacks should be ign lives, 99% of vauxhall wiring has brown as earth.

The fan sounds like a dodgy connection. Check all the wiring.

With the temp gauge check all the wiring again, could be a break/dodgy connection somwhere.

jimbob-mcgrew
10-08-09, 05:12 PM
pull the 2 pin wiring plug off the side of the radiator, and bridge the connector with a small piece of wire. with the ignition on, your fan should come on if the fan and wiring circuit is ok. if its on/off/on, the sensor might need removing and cleaning or possibly replacing, or there might a dodgy connection along the line somewhere from the loom along to the fan and across is its route (coupla connections along the way to check). id concentrate on that one first, as thats your engines fail safe from cooking itself, the gauge only gives u a reading.

on the gauge front, if your getting a constant low voltage down that single spade connector wire going to the sender, clean the contacts and smear a blob of grease on the spade connector and its connecting nipple, contact there is sometimes dodge, other than that, give the clocks a bit of a wak, there sometimes dodgy too (mainly fuel, but temp. too) my last 2 nova's ive had to wak the gauge everytime i get into the car to kick-start the needle.

oh and one more thing, i wouldnt leave those spade connectors exposed on the extended wire, that'll end up shorting out on the head or inlet, it might have allready and killed your sender / gauge or popped a fuse ?

good to see the yellow beast alive still :thumb:

edit : amended that a tad, it wasnt written right.