PDA

View Full Version : Making noise on a sunday

bmw156
09-08-09, 06:41 PM
hey lads and lasses

i was happily grinding/welding today on the fiesta. ( check the WIP)

and i heard, " excuse me, are you finished with the grinder as i think its out of order to use it on a sunday and its to noisey" or something to those words.

now we live in a very "snobby" area of town and we are not snobby.

it was about 10.30 i was doing this. so not early early...

so basically are there any laws stopping me from making noise on my driveway on a sunday?

Mike
09-08-09, 06:43 PM
None what so ever as long its after 8am & before 11pm.

brainsnova
09-08-09, 06:44 PM
next time reply and say "excuse me, **** off"

SRimon
09-08-09, 06:45 PM
None, they're just lazy cunts!

Rysee
09-08-09, 06:45 PM
"Sorry what? I'm grinding can't you see, I can't hear you!"

SRimon
09-08-09, 06:47 PM
Or if you are grinding you should be wearing ear muffs, look at them and just point at your ears and put arms in the air...

Then carry on lol.

bmw156
09-08-09, 06:47 PM
"Sorry what? I'm grinding can't you see, I can't hear you!"
LOL that would be ace to do...:d

someone +rep rysee for me please as i cant do it again

robertdevlin69
09-08-09, 06:48 PM
tell them to shove it,as said 10.30am is not that early on sunday or any day for that matter

Southie
09-08-09, 06:48 PM
The selfish posh numptys. :mad:

bmw156
09-08-09, 06:49 PM
Or if you are grinding you should be wearing ear muffs, look at them and just point at your ears and put arms in the air...

Then carry on lol.

lol true true, or i could just totally ignore him as my back was to him

bmw156
09-08-09, 06:50 PM
NBC, yeh he is, he's in the council so he thinks he owns the place...

we only moved here a year or so ago and have had small things turned down for stupid reasons.

i might just grind away all day next sunday

Rysee
09-08-09, 06:50 PM
If its truly posh, tell him to go ask your boss as you're just the help and wouldn't want the sack, you have 15 mouths to feed

Rich
09-08-09, 07:12 PM
Just say 'yes sorry about that, ill just turn the volume down'

Then carry on as you were...

Sure if would be fine if he was having some work done :thumb:

mayhem
09-08-09, 07:14 PM
just aim the sparks at them

brainsnova
09-08-09, 07:17 PM
start earlier next sunday and when he comes say your in a rush to make it to church.

GDN16v
09-08-09, 07:17 PM
just aim the sparks at them

lollollollol:thumb:

Jack
09-08-09, 07:24 PM
Say "Ok, sorry, I'll stop"

Then just carry straight on. lol

twistysnovagte
09-08-09, 07:26 PM
next time reply and say "excuse me, **** off"what he said in a poilte way:d

Southie
09-08-09, 07:34 PM
You could sack off doing the grinder as I suppose it's a loud tool...

... just like you neighbour. lol Get the sander out wooo happy days ;)

bmw156
09-08-09, 07:37 PM
lol

im glad there are no gay laws,

and yeh i might just carry on next week and my mum made a good point, if he was in the right place for a sunday morning he wouldnt of heard it anyway

Southie
09-08-09, 07:40 PM
+ rep for your mum. Is she fit lol ;)

Jack
09-08-09, 08:12 PM
if he was in the right place for a sunday morning
The pub?

mowgli
09-08-09, 09:12 PM
when he comes round on a sunday to complain again, point out that you are jewish & can't do it from sunset friday to sunrise sunday, and if he wants to carry on, you'll report him as being racist.

Lynsey
09-08-09, 09:18 PM
Unless you live in Germany, in which case you're allowedto do **** all on a Sunday. Bloke we know wasn't allowed to hoover/ wash his car or anything!

mowgli
09-08-09, 09:20 PM
Unless you live in Germany, in which case you're allowedto do **** all on a Sunday. Bloke we know wasn't allowed to hoover/ wash his car or anything!

i don't hoover or wash my car anyway, so i'll be ok...........

Lynsey
09-08-09, 09:21 PM
Yeah dude, you'll be just fine. No loud sex either though!

let_nova
09-08-09, 09:23 PM
Yeah dude, you'll b just fine. No loud sex either though!

gaffa tape FTW

mowgli
09-08-09, 09:23 PM
Yeah dude, you'll b just fine. No loud sex either though!

I wish i could have sex loud enough for the neighbours to ring the cops........

damn you double glazing.........

Spudly
09-08-09, 09:24 PM
gaffa tape FTW

Rape FTW lol

ade
09-08-09, 10:50 PM
My suggestion - next Sunday go to your neighbours and say -

"excuse me - I'll be grinding again today - just thought I'd let you know and thought you might like to borrow these..."

http://www.sunnyhillsportingclays.com/images/ear_plugs.jpg

Altrenatively just pop a letter through their box on Saturday with above

lol

Stuart
09-08-09, 10:54 PM
Name and shame said "posh" town....

bmw156
09-08-09, 10:57 PM
ok stuart, rushmere st andrew
just outside ipswich, suffolk

Rich
09-08-09, 10:59 PM
Rape FTW lol

Its not rape if you shout 'SURPRISE' first lol

Spudly
09-08-09, 11:07 PM
Its not rape if you shout 'SURPRISE' first lol

A man after my own heart, its not rape, its surprise sex lol

Stuart
09-08-09, 11:33 PM
no where in suffolk is posh, problem solved

wwmnw
10-08-09, 12:01 AM
Yeah I agree with telling him to get to fcuk, No laws stopping you from doing it at a reasonable time of the day, Me and my mate do it (doggy style mainly) all day sometimes and no one complains to us.

Jack
10-08-09, 12:03 AM
no where in suffolk is posh, problem solved
Pfft. The place I stayed whilst working at Wattisham gave epic disapproving looks when I pimped it up in Martin's Nova. Blingin'

bmw156
10-08-09, 12:16 AM
Pfft. The place I stayed whilst working at Wattisham gave epic disapproving looks when I pimped it up in Martin's Nova. Blingin'

lol i rest my point :d

Stuart
10-08-09, 09:00 AM

nope, they were looks of disbelief that a vehicle could move without a horse, and that you werent related to them lol

J4MES
10-08-09, 10:37 AM
nope, they were looks of disbelief that a vehicle could move without a horse, and that you werent related to them lol

No Stuart your getting confused with Somerset!!lol

Stoo
10-08-09, 10:49 AM
You could always have a bit of respect and consideration for other people.

As above, informing people of what you are going to be doing is a great idea, without the smart arsse comments to go with it!
Some people only get sundays off and like to have a bit of quiet time you know.

I know exactly how he feels as i am currently on the recieving end of it too. Smart comments back to me when asked politely would result in your jaw being broken. FACT!

A little bit of love goes a long long way.

Be the bigger man and tell people, that way they can't complain!

Lauren
10-08-09, 01:45 PM
Rape FTW lol

:eek:

As above, informing people of what you are going to be doing is a great idea, without the smart arsse comments to go with it!

I know exactly how he feels as i am currently on the recieving end of it too. Smart comments back to me when asked politely would result in your jaw being broken. FACT!

Stoo is right. Just inform them first and then at least they were warned. From what you said it wasn't like the guy was being rude to you, just a little bit of consideration and forethought goes a long way.

Stuart
10-08-09, 01:50 PM

works the other way too though.... what if you ONLY have sundays to do that kind of work?

I tend to stop making huge noise outside after about 4pm on a sunday as lots of folks are having BBQ's etc so its nice not to listen to circ saws running lol

Stoo
10-08-09, 01:54 PM
works the other way too though.... what if you ONLY have sundays to do that kind of work?

I get that, however
Whats more important? Some much needed R&R or some grinding?

Stuart
10-08-09, 01:57 PM
depends... is your house gonna fall down without the grinding? (in the case for the chap here, no but its feesable for someone else).

tbh as long as ist "legal" then it matters not in my book, as its all going to balance out in the end. The complainer this time will no doubt do something seemingly as anti-social in future

tony k
10-08-09, 02:01 PM
i wouldnt give a s***,like my neighbours(nothing has happend yet)but a few of them get up early and mowe there grass at like 9am,plus i dont moan at that so works both ways,i can see what other people are saying about let people know if your gonna make some noise,but do they let you know when there gonna be making noise hell no,so next time tell them to mind there own business

Stoo
10-08-09, 02:08 PM
mowing the lawn and angle grinding are a little different in my eyes!

brainsnova
10-08-09, 02:17 PM
petrol strimmer and grinder are equal.

tony k
10-08-09, 02:23 PM
mowing the lawn and angle grinding are a little different in my eyes!

yeah they are different but some of them lawn mowers a bloody loud,so a grinder aint far off

Leeboo
10-08-09, 02:26 PM
You might want to have a little respect for people trying to relax in quietness on sundays, perhaps its the only day you have to grind some metal, but realise that it might be the only day for some others to relax.

I personally wouldn't be annoyed with noise on sundays, but I know for a fact that others might mind.

Lynsey
10-08-09, 02:59 PM
The people next door have a baby, so we tend to keep the noise down as much as possible in the evenings but during the day, we do exactly as we please. We never complain about their dog barking or their cats brawling on OUR bed at 6am on a Sunday morning! It's all part of living within close proximity to other people.

There is an old bat across the street who decided it was wise to come out at 8am on a Sunday morning and ring our doorbell for 2minutes straight. When Dougie answered the door, she told us to move the car from infront of her house. It was a Peugeot FFS. Not only was it not our car, it was also parked in a perfectly legal space, whether she could see it from her front window or not. Now, if we went ringing her doorbell at such an hour on 'God's Day', I'm sure we'd make the front page of the local newspaper as rebels (yes, the South really is THAT lame!).

Do what you like with your free time, as long as it's legal and you're not harming anyone, I don't see a problem with it. They should respect that you will do as you please with your time.

GRUNT 16V
10-08-09, 03:06 PM
i try to not make alot of noise after 9 oclock in the evening

pikey1986
10-08-09, 03:29 PM
i personally dont have a problem with people making noise on a sunday or any day for that, my neighbour is a diy addict and some days hes drilling and banging untill 9pm, i dont complain because then i can go out and bang, grind, weld etc etc and they cant say anything, i dont start making noise untill about 10 on a sunday tho, i like to give everyone a chance to at least wake up

Iain
10-08-09, 03:38 PM
I'm using a grinder most weekends and have been for many months now. Only had one complaint from across the road, I apologised and told her it would be finished in a few weeks but that was about 2 months ago, oops.

Sunday is no different to any other day/Saturday though.

draper
10-08-09, 03:40 PM
it depends how often your making noise aswell i reckon, spending every single sat/sun grinding/welding/hammering isnt on

if its just everynow and again to repair stuff i dont see a problem as long as its daytime/not to early

or do what i do and go to someone elses house to do it all lol

Lynsey
10-08-09, 03:44 PM
i try to not make alot of noise after 9 oclock in the evening

Do you prefer to enjoy the morning glory? lol

Jack
10-08-09, 04:41 PM
Sunday is no different to any other day/Saturday though.
Exactly, I'm an Athiest so I do not believe in the day of rest etc. Anyone who tells me to shut up on a Sunday is infringing my religious rights! lol

Stoo
10-08-09, 04:43 PM
Anyone who tells me to shut up on a Sunday is infringing my religious rights! lol

What a ridiculous statement!
Where was anything about religion said by the OP??
Its just plain rude to be making a racket full stop regardless of day.

As i said before, advance warning is the best route to take

Jack
10-08-09, 04:45 PM
http://www.mattresspolice.com/images/sarcasm.jpg

brainsnova
10-08-09, 04:47 PM
the way i see it is if you have to make noise then you have to tolerate other peoples noise and if you dont like it move.

pikey1986
10-08-09, 04:54 PM
i agree, if your willing to make a load of noise you should be willing to take other peoples noise as well

bmw156
10-08-09, 05:29 PM

ok i cba to quote everyone but, if i was to do as you say, do i wander around there, get a awkward/rude answer to the door, because im sure as im a "young" person and wear a hoodie i must be dangerous, i wouldnt be suprised if he had the chain on first, and say im doing grinding today.

imo thats stupid.

as other people are saying, i wouldnt complain if he was doing it. and if someone was doing work on his house it would be fine wouldnt it.

someone mentioned doing it every weekend is out of order, yeh i agree it is. but this was the first weekend doing it.

and yeh sunday is the only day i can do car work. i could go out after work on a weekday and grind untill the light fades, but im sure he would hate eating of his finest plates, listening to grinding.

also, got in contact with the council today, and they said he cant do anything. if he does report it, they will send him a complaint form, and the lady said it has to be over a long period befor it really matters, and im sure a combined time of maybe an hour on and off on a sunday isnt gonna bother the council.

Spudly
10-08-09, 05:35 PM
Just tell your neighbours if they get snotty, be thankful you dont live next to baxter lol

Jack
10-08-09, 05:37 PM
Have a poo through his letterbox

bmw156
10-08-09, 05:37 PM
lol RJ you joker

Jack
10-08-09, 05:41 PM
Who said anything about joking :confused:

Just remember to ring the bell before you toddle off.

Spudly
10-08-09, 05:43 PM
Who said anything about joking :confused:

Just remember to ring the bell before you toddle off.

And wipe your ass on the newspaper too lol

Lauren
10-08-09, 06:21 PM
ok i cba to quote everyone but, if i was to do as you say, do i wander around there, get a awkward/rude answer to the door, because im sure as im a "young" person and wear a hoodie i must be dangerous, i wouldnt be suprised if he had the chain on first, and say im doing grinding today.

imo thats stupid.

as other people are saying, i wouldnt complain if he was doing it. and if someone was doing work on his house it would be fine wouldnt it.

someone mentioned doing it every weekend is out of order, yeh i agree it is. but this was the first weekend doing it.

and yeh sunday is the only day i can do car work. i could go out after work on a weekday and grind untill the light fades, but im sure he would hate eating of his finest plates, listening to grinding.

also, got in contact with the council today, and they said he cant do anything. if he does report it, they will send him a complaint form, and the lady said it has to be over a long period befor it really matters, and im sure a combined time of maybe an hour on and off on a sunday isnt gonna bother the council.

So if you go round his house and you get an awkward/rude answer, who cares? You can say you tried.
I'm not saying you've done anything wrong by no means, you are completely right in this situation, but unfortunatley it's all part and parcel of living near people, and personally I would be trying to keep the peace, you don't want to start rows with neighours.
Don't go round and ask his permission, go round and tell him you will be doing the work and say after the conversation the other day you wanted to be considerate and at least warn him there will be a bit of noise today.
If he is rude back, then at least you are being the adult and he hasn't got a leg to stand on.

AlanH
10-08-09, 06:54 PM
move me in next door, they'll soon stop s******* on at you about an angle grinder. xe with no manifold at 9am running on lynx chocolate 1 week before PV? zx6 with a cut in half race can arriving home from work at 6am? my nova arriving home at similar time with similar DB levels. the joy of living near me lol

burgo
10-08-09, 10:27 PM
ok stuart, rushmere st andrew
just outside ipswich, suffolk DOH would of popped in to say hello as i was down your way last week

next time they complain tell them they should concider themselfs lucky, they could live next to me :)

Spudly
10-08-09, 10:32 PM
next time they complain tell them they should concider themselfs lucky, they could live next to me :)

And have to put up with your 'quiet' bank holiday barbeques lol

burgo
10-08-09, 10:38 PM
lmao exactly.

bmw156
10-08-09, 10:54 PM
lol, damn you burgo you now know!!

and yeh shall i say to them, your lucky you dont live next to burgo lol

burgo
10-08-09, 11:09 PM
well ill probably be down again in a couple of weeks at frost motor services getting me mates fiesta set up

mowgli
11-08-09, 08:02 PM
my neighbours were fairly easy going, until we put in a planning application for a rear extension... we had grown the front hedge quite high to stop the ones over the road staring at us, and one of them wound the missus up that they'd make sure the application would fail unless we got rid of the high hedge as it lowered the tone of the street!!!!!!!! so she rang my brother whilst in tears & he organised the removal of our 7' privet hedge & tidying of the front garden, at 6.45 on the saturday morning with a jcb & a 200hp tractor & 16ton dumper trailer, by 7 we were on our way to another job......

then next saturday we tarmaced the drive. I dropped off a lorry load of stone & bashed it about with a minidigger, followed by 15 mins of wackerplate, then the tarmac turned up at 7.15am. then the fun & swearing started (tarmacing is like tourettes syndrome, but with rakes & a roller). oddly enough, none of the neighbours came out to complain

Benn
11-08-09, 08:05 PM
Legend ^

Anything after 9:30 on a sunday is fine by me.

Rich
12-08-09, 06:32 PM
I dont make any noise before 10am really, and stop about 7-8 ish usually. Our neighbours are comeplete tits (most anyway) so i couldnt care less.

A couple of weeks ago i did my rear arch, the following day the neighbour was out washing his car clean of the dust lol

novaload1992
12-08-09, 08:29 PM
luckly i don't have that problem as we have a big shed and the nearest next door neighbour is quite far from us. :D