View Full Version : Putting novas away over winter....

Spudly
09-08-09, 04:29 PM
Ive never done this before ive either run my novas through thick and thin or sold them on, yesterday i took my nova for her last blast on the way to my mate workshop where she is now safely tucked away till next year, ive not driven her for three weeks since the cav is now back on the road and god ive missed her, so i was driving err very excitably down some twisty country roads enjoying her for the last time till next year, thing i was wondering is...

Do we all do this, take the nova out and kick its teeth in to enjoy it one last time, or do you guys go a certian place or road as a "last blast" kind of ritual or is it just me being a soppy bugger and too attatched to my toys lol

Anyways a couple of (crap quality) shots of where she lives now...........

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/spudly01/My%20Nov/DSC03538.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/spudly01/My%20Nov/DSC03535.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/spudly01/My%20Nov/DSC03537.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/spudly01/My%20Nov/DSC03536.jpg

Excuse the crap picture quality, camera phones dont work well in low light levels, the first picture is a shot from halfway down the workshop to the back, that place is huge:thumb:

Southie
09-08-09, 04:32 PM
Mine spent most of last year and this in out of the garage so it must like it. lol

I'm running mine through the winter this year.

Spudly
09-08-09, 04:37 PM
I felt gutted when i came home last night in the cav and my nova wasnt there, it felt very very wrong lol

Im a soppy bugger then i reckon haha!

Pistol Pete
09-08-09, 04:38 PM
Once mine is built i doubt it will see the roads over the winter. Nothing wrong with it IMO. Salt, water mmmm just what a Nova needs lol

Nobby
09-08-09, 04:39 PM
my belmonts going away at the end of the month! :(

John
09-08-09, 04:39 PM
xe ftw!

Spudly
09-08-09, 04:42 PM
xe ftw!Possibly but i doubt it.... this year...

Bit of weld work, a new arch and some paint and some engine goodies for now i reckon, but having her where she is now makes it spot on cos i can work on her in any weather now rather than be rained or snowed off as i wouldve been had she slept outside lol

Mike
09-08-09, 04:49 PM
I used to do the Evo triangle, then up to Barmouth, then onto Bangor prior to taking mine off the road for engine conversions etc, then do it all over again with the new engine as a "tester", if it survived that then i knew it was all bolted up tight.

Southie
09-08-09, 04:50 PM
I think you could do with buying some decent indoor lighting if working in that garage, it's like a cave. Oooo a bat lol

paul james
09-08-09, 04:52 PM
This winter will probably be the first one where I'll keep my Nova in the Garage rather than using it as the main car. I'm sure it will get some outings when the weathers nice and the roads haven't been totally covered a foot deep in salt.

Spudly
09-08-09, 04:55 PM
Its got lighting for each individual bay, not everyone was in and working on their projects so not all of the banks of lighting were turned on in that pic, there are others there with striplights and floodlights which are open to being borrowed while the owners are not using them!

Sounds like im not the only one then mike, and this place is in the country and there are some nice roads around for testing, my mate took his defender 90 out with no panels on it on the nearby roads to test it before he fitted the body, and the local pub is half mile down the road with two fit lasses that run it, and there are some three and two seat leather sofas in there for drunken stayovers too, sounds like my project is gonna be a fun one haha:thumb:

Mike
09-08-09, 04:58 PM
Sounds like im not the only one then mike, and this place is in the country and there are some nice roads around for testing, my mate took his defender 90 out with no panels on it on the nearby roads to test it before he fitted the body, and the local pub is half mile down the road with two fit lasses that run it, and there are some three and two seat leather sofas in there for drunken stayovers too, sounds like my project is gonna be a fun one haha:thumb:

Lol yea sounds good chap :) altho mine didnt really come off the road all that much TBH, 6 months at a time maybe, but ive had 2 cars or more since ive been about 18 so i just used to use both.

Proper ace unti that is tho, take it your mates are well into the green laning then judging by type of motors/parts in them pics!

Spudly
09-08-09, 05:10 PM
Lol yea sounds good chap :) altho mine didnt really come off the road all that much TBH, 6 months at a time maybe, but ive had 2 cars or more since ive been about 18 so i just used to use both.

Proper ace unti that is tho, take it your mates are well into the green laning then judging by type of motors/parts in them pics!

This is the first time ive ever had both my cars insured at once tbh so its a novelty for me, especially when i came home yesterday in my cav and parked it out front, went and got the nova out and drove past my cav sat outside:d

Oh aye theyre well into it, the bay two down from mine has been shirinkwrap/cellophane wrapped into a makeshift paint booth for the external rollcage for my mates defender, there are various jacked up/bobtailed discos, 90's and other such 4x4's in various project stages in there, along with an impreza/S13/S14A/micra-pulsar.........

You get the jist i reckon, and theres me with my ickle nova lol

Mike
09-08-09, 05:14 PM
Ah though i spied something Jap, pop up headlights gave it away ;)

Wouldnt mind me a nice bobtailed Disco for some mud plugging TBH

Joe Richardson
09-08-09, 05:20 PM
Mine will be coming off the road for the winter:thumb:

I dont even drive the SR when it rains,it's a fair weather car:cool:

Spudly
09-08-09, 05:22 PM
Ah though i spied something Jap, pop up headlights gave it away ;)

Wouldnt mind me a nice bobtailed Disco for some mud plugging TBH

Aye foreground in the second pic its my mates S13 iirc with an S14a engine in it, ive been off-roading (a mans sport as they call it, so man-roading or 'man'ning for short lol) and its a right laugh just you gotta be prepared to get wet and muddy haha lol

twistysnovagte
09-08-09, 05:25 PM
mine is off the road and has been since november last year :( and wont be coming out for a few month yet either,stuck in the back of the bosses yard with a car cover on it!

Rob
09-08-09, 06:00 PM
as said mate looks good and soon as you need a hand dont forget to give me a shout.Also my saloons ment to be coming off the road in october when the tax runs out but hey i might just re-tax that in stead of my vectra sri v6 as its more fun lol

Benn
09-08-09, 06:18 PM
You know its no where near winter yet yeah?

sparkie1401
09-08-09, 06:28 PM
nothing wrong with being a soppy sentimental bugger, but jesus christ i know english weather is crap but im sure the old nova could stay out till at least mid september

Southie
09-08-09, 06:42 PM
nothing wrong with being a soppy sentimental bugger, but jesus christ i know english weather is crap but im sure the old nova could stay out till at least mid september
This coming from a man who has a nice winter 4x4 car lol

If it snows bad this year then I'll leave the car on the drive and walk to work. :)

Plug
09-08-09, 06:48 PM
/\ snow chains on the nova :thumb: just to match the snow plough

Simon 1867
09-08-09, 06:50 PM
Mine will be going away in the garage for the winter...Coming off the road end of August when tax runs out

let_nova
09-08-09, 07:14 PM
mine will also definately be off the road. well already is. no point in taxing it again!! plans are to strip the underside and seal properly, bigger turbo and good inlet. aiming for big power next year.

Jack
09-08-09, 07:17 PM
Poofers. I'll be using mine all winter, til the front crossmember tears itself in half. Which its in process of doing at the moment.

Can't wait til it snows. WHEEEEEEE :d

sparkie1401
09-08-09, 07:18 PM
This coming from a man who has a nice winter 4x4 car lol

If it snows bad this year then I'll leave the car on the drive and walk to work. :)

your only jealouslol evo has too much power for the snow and last time i checke dmy name was smith not makkanan so mitsubishi wont give me another if i tree stuff itlol

hence leave both at home and borrow papa car:d

Southie
09-08-09, 07:22 PM
/\ snow chains on the nova :thumb: just to match the snow plough
I like your thinking now give me your plough brackets, then it may stay on. If it hit fresh polluted air it will fall off at the minute. lol

Southie
09-08-09, 07:24 PM
your only jealouslol evo has too much power for the snow and last time i checke dmy name was smith not makkanan so mitsubishi wont give me another if i tree stuff itlol

hence leave both at home and borrow papa car:d

So your garaging 2 cars. My god has your dad a robin rialto lol

AlexW
09-08-09, 07:27 PM
Mine is off the road, partly due to the head gasket and the fact that i swapped the insurance to my tigra.

Spudly
09-08-09, 07:45 PM
I woulda kept the nova on the road till end of year as id planne dbut the headgasket has bailed so its now or never reall so its only a few months early so its a sign she gotta come off the road lol

Joe Richardson
09-08-09, 07:48 PM
you going in the cav to the bourgh meet then spud:thumb:

Spudly
09-08-09, 07:48 PM
Aye me is indeed dude, big comfy leather seats FTMFW:thumb:

hendrix
09-08-09, 09:08 PM
big comfy leather seats FTMFW:thumb:
+1 :d

General Baxter
09-08-09, 09:08 PM
mine comes out for winter lol

hendrix
09-08-09, 09:09 PM
oh and considering my nova has been off the road since Feb 2007 and chelles SR since Jan 2007 its no bother to me lol

Joe Richardson
09-08-09, 10:05 PM
Aye me is indeed dude, big comfy leather seats FTMFW:thumb:

sweet:thumb:

Nobby
09-08-09, 11:13 PM
mines only going away to get even more stripped and its not comfy driving in the rain while its leaking in lol

srs1
10-08-09, 08:00 AM
mine will be coming off the road this year for the first time, in actual fact. the first car i have ever took off the road.

but its mainly for rebuild reasons

Lynsey
10-08-09, 10:19 AM
Well... My Cavalier is out of tax at the end of the month, so is going off the road for a bit whilst it gets the arches done and some other preperations for winter. So I guess the blue Nova can stay out for a wee while longer :thumb: They yellow one is going on holiday to stay with Uncle Specky over the festive season.

I 'enjoy' my SEH Nova every time I drive it lol Why save that kind of fun for when it's going into hibernation? As I learnt with my first one (bananarama :(), any time could be the last time, so sieze the moment ;)

draper
10-08-09, 11:38 AM
i dont normally have my license long enough to worry about it tbh

dj_wudgey
10-08-09, 11:39 AM
i take mine off the road for winter every year!!

GTE TURBZ
10-08-09, 11:44 AM
Doesnt look like i'll be finding the car Ive been looking for for the past 4 months in a hurry, so the nova might have to be used during the winter months, not really keen on that but it will have to be done, as i sold my diesel winter driver few weeks ago.

kelbelle
10-08-09, 12:00 PM
Those photo's remind me of Brum that kids show
http://i29.tinypic.com/12317w7.jpg

Matt
10-08-09, 09:25 PM
Mine's coming off the road at the end of this month. Off to Croatia for 3 weeks and then back to Uni after that! :d

Nova's not going to be neglected though, it's going to turn into a bit of a long term project...

burgo
10-08-09, 10:08 PM
bunch of gays. mine is driven every day and driven properly ;) they aint fords you know they wont break down after 20 miles

Spudly
10-08-09, 10:20 PM
bunch of gays. mine is driven every day and driven properly ;) they aint fords you know they wont break down after 20 miles

Mine will cos the headgasket has gone (although it still fecking flies) and she needs an arch and a battery tray aswell lol

Lee H
10-08-09, 10:51 PM
Mine is off the road for good now, last winter put the final nail in the coffin I think as I never bothered washing the salt off it at all and the arches are well dead.

burgo
10-08-09, 10:53 PM
Mine will cos the headgasket has gone (although it still fecking flies) and she needs an arch and a battery tray aswell lolpah the head gaskets were gone when they left the factory. poor excuse imo

Spudly
10-08-09, 10:54 PM
She was coming off the road anyways, hence me never selling the cav, but she chose to have a rest early lol

Time to get myself a w.i.p. thread now though:thumb:

draper
11-08-09, 02:45 AM
Time to get myself a w.i.p. thread now though:thumb:

shouldnt that be M.I.P (mince in progress) :p

dazz4
11-08-09, 02:53 AM

ha i second that, drive it like its meant to be driven!lol

Spudly
11-08-09, 07:52 AM
shouldnt that be M.I.P (mince in progress) :p

Ooh ya cheeky minx thats a slap heading your way at the meet lol

Cormac
11-08-09, 10:15 AM
My 2 novas are garaged all year round, The swing will be carcooned this winter tho!

Asa-James
11-08-09, 10:25 AM
i plan to keep the nova on the road during winter, but it hardly gets used as it is and spends 6 days a week in the garage, and the only reason i take it out at the minute is to get the mower out. cav daily ftw...

draper
11-08-09, 10:52 AM
Ooh ya cheeky minx thats a slap heading your way at the meet lol

:gay:

could that of sounded any camper lol

Spudly
11-08-09, 02:11 PM
:gay:

could that of sounded any camper lol

Thats the whole idea sweety lol

L33 LEG
11-08-09, 02:14 PM
mines been in my garage all year. if i get it roadworthy it will stay taxed throughout the year and will come out on sunny days. no point keeping it in for 6 months and out for the 'summer' months because we get rain all the time. if its a sunny day il bring it out, if its raining i wont do :)

Paul
11-08-09, 08:41 PM
mine will be out and about this year!

blue_peg_16v
11-08-09, 08:45 PM
van will get used everyday and the loon is taxed till end of december so will get used on nice cold dry days lol

Spudly
11-08-09, 08:48 PM
the loon is taxed till end of december so will get used on nice cold dry days lol

I expect texts please bud;)

blue_peg_16v
11-08-09, 08:57 PM
hehe you goin scarbourogh at end of month mate

Spudly
11-08-09, 09:04 PM
Aye will be doin mate, you going too?

blue_peg_16v
11-08-09, 09:08 PM
might be if im here not sure if im going to hevs that weekend or not think she is here tho so a run to scarborough in the loon might be on lol

Royston
11-08-09, 09:08 PM
Sports not been out all year:mad:

SR will be taxed and used till @ September or October depending on the weather;)

Joe Richardson
11-08-09, 09:12 PM
My sr is taxed till December,but will be coming off the road at the end of september:thumb:

Spudly
11-08-09, 09:12 PM
Rich do it, you know you want to:thumb:

Royston, you had better not take that SR out in the rain!!!!

Adam
11-08-09, 09:14 PM
Mine will just sit outside all winter, probably wont get used as i wont be arsed re-tax it in November.

blue_peg_16v
11-08-09, 09:17 PM
Rich do it, you know you want to:thumb:

Royston, you had better not take that SR out in the rain!!!!

just checked with hev shes over that weekend so were coming for a game of hay you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huffy
12-08-09, 11:15 PM
thats a big work shop mate when mine see's the light of day id like to put it way for winter and just use a cheap run around