PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1600 R1 Carbs Problem...

--ToM--
08-08-09, 01:29 AM
Iv recently bought a nova 1600 gsi with r1 carbs fitted, it was running sweet as a nut pulled fine and smooth therough every gear and through the rev range and when driving before all of a sudden it lost a load of power and began to splutter lots almost like a missfire underload, i know **** all about carbs etc im totally new to it so im wondering if they need setting up again as i know there tempremental. it stinks of petrol when driving so im assuming its overfuelling which is causing it to run so bad, i just dont see how it happend all of a sudden can anyone suggest me what to look for or how to sorti t please thanks guys :)

tom reid
08-08-09, 01:32 AM
Have you checked for a fuel leak?

--ToM--
08-08-09, 01:37 AM
i did have a look around the pipes that run to the carbs and they seemed dry. i supose a tiny split in a fuel pipe could make it draw in air and cause the symptoms im describing?

philip
08-08-09, 07:11 AM
there slide carbs arent they? usually there pretty good once set up!

for it tooo suddenly go, as tom has said could be a split/leak somewhere. but check the rubbers that hold the carbs onto the manifold, check the manifold isnt cracked.

have tyou run mega low on fuel? maybe picked some ****e up out the tank and block the carbs?

tom reid
08-08-09, 07:40 AM
Following on from Phillips advice, if it's not leaking fuel,have you checked the overflow pipe too?, go back to basics, check leads, plugs, distributor cap and rotor arm, it might not be a carb issue.

Southie
08-08-09, 07:52 AM
Mine always use to come away from the inlet due to them not being jubelle clipped on properly. Worth a check just give them a rock and see if there's any movement.

--ToM--
08-08-09, 09:19 AM
yeah i took the carbs off at the side of the road and re fitted all the rubbers to the manifold and there really really tight so im 99% sure its not due to an air leak at the manifold i will check again tho any more ideas?

--ToM--
08-08-09, 02:13 PM
Right iv just took the carbs off and have done the following:

. tightnened manifold a checked for cracks (none)
. removed dizzy cap and checked contacts and rotor arm (all good)
. replaced in line fuel filter with a new one
. checked the fuel regulator isnt blocked (fine)
. replaced the rubber hoseing used to jubalie clip the carbs to the manifold with new samco ones as the old black ones had cracked, used new jubalie clips aswell so there is definately no air leaks
. re fitted the carbs and sprayed them with carb cleaner

NOW THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED:

it started up ok but the missfire is still there so i removed the air filter from the carbs and placed my hand over each individual carb whilst revving it a bit and they are all sucking in air..... BUT i did notice the 4th carb along (nearest to passanger side) when revving is spitting fuel back out all over the top of the bonnet.

Now does this just mean the carbs need re setting up??

answers asap would be great as im workin on it as we speak thanks alot guys

brake-dust
08-08-09, 02:44 PM
did you take them to bits and clean the jets? although you have a inline filter bit of crap can easily get lodged in the jet hole, used to get this all the time on the bikes, get a wire brush and use one of the wires to poke through the jet, do this to the pilot aswell as the main, also check the needle valve under the float

--ToM--
08-08-09, 03:29 PM
ok mate cheers im stripping the carbs down now as we speak ....

brake-dust
08-08-09, 03:40 PM
everything that can come to bits take it to bit and clean, sounds like a minor fueling problem to me

--ToM--
08-08-09, 04:15 PM
yeah thats what iv done mate im going to put them back together now i will let u know what happens

jimbob-mcgrew
10-08-09, 02:54 PM
hasnt jumped a tooth on the cambelt has it ? check the timing marks are still lined up.

philip
10-08-09, 04:54 PM
headgaskets gone and sliced through 3+4 i think if its the tom whos messaged melol

Huffy
10-08-09, 05:52 PM
alright mate ive got a number for a garage here if its any good to ya i was goin to take my old sr to him so he could set up my carbs its near wrexham tho so not sure if thats goin to be to far for ya p.m me if ya want and ill send you the details for him :thumb: