PDA

View Full Version : digi dash mph problem

NOVA-KID-93
07-08-09, 05:10 PM
Just a quick question, I have just fitted a digital dash into my Nova but it won't swith over to MPH from KPH the knob turns to the right position but it still says KPH even when its in the MPH position, is my dash faulty or is it because the transducer isn't wired up?

Help appreciated :thumb: .

Thanks
Luke

djshaggeh
07-08-09, 05:15 PM
I had the same problem, iirc you have to be pretty brutal with it, which is difficult as they feel brittle.

is it because the transducer isn't wired up?

Im pretty sure this needs to be fitted or it won't work at all.

NOVA-KID-93
07-08-09, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the reply I will go and have a play with it later :thumb:

Mines working without the transducer wired in or even fitted at all I think its just for the speedo, thats why I wondered if that was the reason for it not swithing to MPH :)

Also if someone can help the handbrake light doesn't work, ive tried another bulb and nothing happens :confused:

Spudly
07-08-09, 05:24 PM
Its the switch is dicky, i had this problem before luke, take it out and strip the dash and remove the odometer reset/mph-kph switch try to clean it with electrical contact cleaner this should help, if not you need to source a new dash for bits and swap over the odometer/mph-kph switch.

NOVA-KID-93
07-08-09, 05:27 PM
Cheer for the reply Spud I will give that a go, infact I have got to strip to adjust the milage to the cars milage, iirc you were telling Tim (t6hey are the digi's he was going to fit in his) at the last Donny meet how to go about changing the milage but I can't remeber what you said lol

Spudly
07-08-09, 05:28 PM
Cheer for the reply Spud I will give that a go, infact I have got to strip to adjust the milage to the cars milage, iirc you were telling Tim (t6hey are the digi's he was going to fit in his) at the last Donny meet how to go about changing the milage but I can't remeber what you said lol

Any probs pm me or bring em to the next meet and ill show you:thumb:

djshaggeh
07-08-09, 05:28 PM
Mines working without the transducer wired in or even fitted at all I think its just for the speedo, thats why I wondered if that was the reason for it not swithing to MPH :)

So let me get this straight, you've wired in a digidash and got everything working apart from the speedo and the handbrake light? Even though the speedo isn't working because you haven't wired in the transducer you want to know why its displaying KPH?

If I were you I'd be trying to get hold of a transducer first before I'd be worrying about the fact that it displays in KPH.

NOVA-KID-93
07-08-09, 05:34 PM
Ok thanks Spud :thumb:

I have got the transducer just haven't had chance to fit it yet, I know the speedo wont't work but id have thought it should change from KPH to MPH weather or not the transducer is fitted, basically I am trial fitting it to make sure everything works/can be made to work before i fit it properly if you get me :)

djshaggeh
07-08-09, 05:41 PM
Yes I get you, good thinking batman. With regards to the handbrake light - if your like me with wiring then you've probobly wired up the wrong wire somewhere.

There is a good guide here if you haven't read it already
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93645

I'm pretty sure there was a guide on www.topbuzz.co.uk (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/www.topbuzz.co.uk) to change the colour of the bulbs on a digidash, although I cant find it. May come in handy if you need to take it apart.

NOVA-KID-93
07-08-09, 05:46 PM
Ok thanks, I will double check the wiring later :thumb: thats the guide i've been using, and will have a look for the guide to change bulb colours aswell :)

Thanks for help

brainsnova
07-08-09, 05:53 PM
heres the switch that needs cleaned to see if its a bad contact.

http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u331/Brain_missing/digi007.jpg

Spudly
07-08-09, 06:41 PM
I would imagine that if you remove those wires, and touch them once together this would have the same effect as turning the switch from one position to another, so at a guess you could remove them, select the one you require (would need to be powered up obviously) and then insulate them off, permanently leaving it set to kph/mph:thumb:

Tim-SR
07-08-09, 08:03 PM
damn i wish i hadnt got rid of it now! lol oh well it will look better in your car anyways lol

NOVA-KID-93
07-08-09, 08:13 PM
lol thanks, like I said bring that other one down see if we can do anything with it, if not I may buy it off you for spares to get this one working :d lol

ripley
07-08-09, 10:18 PM
Hi mate if you have no luck in finding one i have one that has been put back to 000000 13 quid posted. thanks

NOVA-KID-93
08-08-09, 05:17 PM
Ripley, is it the full dash or just the odometer?

My uncle came down today so I got him to have a play with it seeing as he fitted one in his Nova SRI years ago (back in the 90's :cool: ) he sorted me the MPH problem just cleaned it up as was said to do on here, and he also ftted the transducer it all works in a sense it shows speed etc... however the LCD screen is faulty so is the printed circuit for the instrument lights (handbrake, indicators etc...) they are very tempremental can get them to work but when puhed back into position or knocked they dont work so either a loose connection or printed ciruit is broke :(

I'm going to try and source another dash or try and buy the other one off Tim and take bits off the sourced one to make a good one out of the two :thumb:

AlexW
08-08-09, 05:35 PM
If its the blubs down the bottom then its the printed circuit, take the dash out and check it, there easy to repair..

ripley
08-08-09, 07:26 PM
Hi mate yes its just the odometer sorry!! but i do have the printed circuit somewhere i will have a look and see whats its like.

NOVA-KID-93
08-08-09, 09:39 PM
Yea its the bulbs down at the bottom, I think its deffo the printed circuit, its been repaired numerous times before so if I can get one might aswell just replace it, cheers ripley :thumb: