PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my SRi

BigKahuna
25-02-03, 09:46 AM
I've got a 1993 SRi and when I brake hard (not extremely hard) after accelerating over 50mph the engine stalls- battery light comes on, handbrake light comes on and the accelerator doesn't work.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think is wrong coz basically I know fuck all about car mechanics and I don't want the piss took out my wallet when I get it repaired.

Cheers :roll:

Ste_Nova
25-02-03, 09:56 AM
sounds like a loose connection check all the earths to the engine and the one in the boot for the fuel pump

Aragorn
25-02-03, 03:11 PM
this may seem patronising but what kinda speed u braking down to??

if u were to slow down to <25mph in 4th or the wheels were to lock then the engine would stall

so if your driving along in 4th at 50 and mang the brakes to slow down to 20 without dipping the clutch its quite likely the engine will stall

same principle on ice or slippy roads - i was tryin some brake tests on gritty road and also on icy road - a few times i managed to lock the front wheels and it stalled the engine

the reason i point this out is a mnate of mine used to do this a lot especially in queueing traffic and used to think the car was running like crap when in actual fact it was prolly doin about 800rpm and on the verge of stalling

BigKahuna
25-02-03, 03:32 PM
no mate, it's not stalling coz of low speed.

it stalls as soon as I touch the brake before reaching slower speeds.

it has also stalled a couple of times when i take my foot off the accelerator while going about 60-70 on the motorway therefore hardly any speed it lost at all.

Aragorn
25-02-03, 06:35 PM
just had to check :D

u never know

in that case its prolly an earth strap on the battery or possibly engine

or maybe even the positive on the battery

jatinder
25-02-03, 07:08 PM
yeah it could be a loose or poorly fitted battery terminal

Euan
25-02-03, 07:34 PM
gearbox earth ??

mikeoxford
26-02-03, 12:26 AM
disconnect any visible earth wires you can see

get your fish and chip vinegar out of the cupbaord!

pour on the contacts, watch in amazement at how clean they get

dry off and any spillages on paint etc etc as VINEGAR IS ACID hence it does the job it does :P

then try reattaching

BigKahuna
26-02-03, 10:02 AM
Cheers lads.
Much appreciated.
I was going to look like a complete fanny taking that to a mechanic! :oops: