PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 SR engine start up probs

Rob
06-08-09, 06:05 PM
Right what it is i fitted a 1.4 sr lump into my coupe at the weekend but as the engine didnt come with an altenator or starter i used my 1.2 items.Now upon cold start up in the morning first turn of the key it sounds like the battery is dieing and wont start,but i then turn the key back to the off position and try again after a few turns she fires up on 3 pots for a split second then straight onto 4 with a smell of fuel coming out the back box :confused: .What i need to no is will the 1.2 alt and starter be underpowerd and need to be replaced with 1.4 items or could it be something else ? Also does anyone else with an sr find it fires onto 3 then straight onto 4 any help much apprceiated :thumb:

Southie
06-08-09, 06:10 PM
I ran my old 1.2 starter and alternator on my old sr as they were newer and didn't have a problem.

Did the engine run okay before you put it in yours? What colour are the plugs?

Have you tried a volt meter?

John
06-08-09, 06:10 PM
Shouldn't have thought that the 1.2 starter and alt would make much difference, as long as the flywheels are the same. Are the starter leads making a full and good connection?
The only problems i've seen with a misfire from cold, that clears is usually down to the headgasket failing. Can be clarified with a block test.

mowgli
06-08-09, 06:11 PM
it should fire on 4. and the starter and alt should be fine. if the timing is crap, that will affect it, but I reckon you have a fuel pumping problem.. maybe a leaking pipe is causing the fuel to go back into the tank, and after tons of turning over, it has primed. also the wiring on the coil/dizzy is different between a 1.2 & a 1.4

Rob
06-08-09, 06:20 PM
cheers for the comments guys lots of info there,after the initial cold start up she re starts and runs perfect.Mowgli i did change the fuel pump to one from a mk2 astra maybe that could be a problem and NBC i,ll go check my plugs after my tea.john the misfire is for like a split second then staright onto 4 so i think i,ll have the timeing checked at work this week

jimbob-mcgrew
06-08-09, 11:26 PM
alternator will be cool i reck.
the starter will do the job but will feel the strain after a while and when the batterys low it wont be upto full speed, but will start it.

it run ok when its warmed up ? pull the plugs out, see what theyre like, if one of thems considerably blacker than the rest, that'll be your suspect firer. u might have a dodgy ht lead or plug. like mowgli said, check your timing. how long was the block stood before you fitted it ? as from what ive noticed on mine, the mechanical pumps have a tendancy to seize a bit when left for long periods or in bad weather alike. easy test is to pull the main line off the carb coming from the pump and stick it into a glass bottle, and crank the engine, it'll most probably start even with the hose disconected and it should gush a fair amount out into the bottle in a matter of seconds. check the vaccum hoses on the 2e carb aswell, and give all the linkages and auto choke a spraying with carb cleaner to make sure everythings moving freely :thumb:

Rob
08-08-09, 08:33 AM
alternator will be cool i reck.
the starter will do the job but will feel the strain after a while and when the batterys low it wont be upto full speed, but will start it.

it run ok when its warmed up ? pull the plugs out, see what theyre like, if one of thems considerably blacker than the rest, that'll be your suspect firer. u might have a dodgy ht lead or plug. like mowgli said, check your timing. how long was the block stood before you fitted it ? as from what ive noticed on mine, the mechanical pumps have a tendancy to seize a bit when left for long periods or in bad weather alike. easy test is to pull the main line off the carb coming from the pump and stick it into a glass bottle, and crank the engine, it'll most probably start even with the hose disconected and it should gush a fair amount out into the bottle in a matter of seconds. check the vaccum hoses on the 2e carb aswell, and give all the linkages and auto choke a spraying with carb cleaner to make sure everythings moving freely :thumb:

cheers mate for the help :thumb: ,i,ll be checking the plugs this weekend,when i put the engine in i did the basics like new plugs,leads,dizzy and rotar arm.The mechanical pump on the engine had a slighty bent inlet so i replaced it for one from a mk2 astra,and as for the vacum hoses i have these disconected and i got told to put a screw in the pipe thats at the front of the carb as i,m running a K&N but after what youve said i,m going to try it with the original filter back on,but the weird thing is appart from the slow starting (probs starter) she running fine

jimbob-mcgrew
09-08-09, 05:11 AM
yeh, one of those 2 front vaccum pipes will need blocking off (the one that would go to the original airbox flap). ive got this one blocked off on mine anyhow.

the other needs to be connected to the dizzy for the ignition advance. might be your prob that, cos when ive disconnected mine to set the timing up, it idles a bit shoddy.

i would say no worries about the k&n, but with the chunky oil breather pipe and other thinner pipe from the manifold that both attach to the backside of the airbox, it might work better for you with it back on. i think that particular thinner pipe is some sort of vacuum aswel but not 100% as on mine its t-pieced into the oil breather pipe that runs from the cam cover, not quite the same as the 1.4

Rob
09-08-09, 09:22 AM
cheers once again :thumb: i had one of those breather filters fitted into the oil breather pipe so that should be ok,i,m going to try it a week with the standard box on then try a week with K&N see which is better.Thanks again for your help