PDA

View Full Version : heater blower

torquey
06-08-09, 05:25 PM
my heater has stopped working, i turned it on 1st speed and the voltometer in the dash goes down so its drawing current but nothing comes out. any ideas i thought it might be an earth but checked that? cheers:thumb:

John
06-08-09, 05:33 PM
Fuse ok? If so, check that the motor isn't seized, if it's ok, replace the resistor.

Ernie
06-08-09, 05:39 PM
sounds like a seized motor to me John.If it was a fuse it would draw no power weather on or off imho.
Strip the cover off and with the ignition off see if you can turn the fan by hand.
If unsure were the blower is its the black bit in the top of this pic.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/chunny01/JDL%20Project/novacrxpics032.jpg

AlexW
06-08-09, 05:51 PM
You love whoring that pic dont you ernie? lol

mowgli
06-08-09, 06:13 PM
Fuse ok? If so, check that the motor isn't seized, if it's ok, replace the resistor.

/\/\ agreed. resistors can be got for later models if the nova one is nla

torquey
06-08-09, 06:44 PM
ok thanks all for help will give it ago tommor:thumb:

Spudly
06-08-09, 06:59 PM
Has it been making a squealing noise when operated (before it stopped working that is)

torquey
07-08-09, 05:04 PM
yeh mate it has done for some time. wondered why it was making that noise.:thumb:

Spudly
07-08-09, 05:26 PM
Then its seized and you need a new one, if in future one starts squealing then take off the plastic rain cover and you will see the motor as shown in ernie's pic, put 3-in-1 oil on it and spin it up, this will lube it sufficiently and you might not need to re lube depending how often you have the blowers on full!

To remove/replace its two 8mm nuts either side of thee motor and the single wiring plug, takes a few mins to do as i swapped baxters at the national weekend in a field lol

Guderian
10-08-09, 05:19 PM
One bearing is easy to oil, but the one under the impellor has to be drip fed once you have the unit off the car. Totally inaccessible! Never tried taking the impeller off the shaft personally, as i always assumed it would probably break in the process.