PDA

View Full Version : has ebay had its day ?

draper
06-08-09, 04:11 PM
seems ebay is just full of overpriced **** atm - even buying stuff like power leads/phone batteries etc when delivery is added on are only a few quid cheaper than the real world and the quality is dire

also noticed alot of the cars ive been watching/outbid on keep re-re-reappearing, people are just using it as a way to get rid of their 'actually crap' stuff

large_steve182
06-08-09, 04:22 PM
the days of cheap ebay stuff are long gone, except for the occasionall lucky few things.

an auction is meant to go to the higgest bidder at the highest price, but people will bid up there own stuff to what price they would let it go for.

far overprived delivery.

lots of crap from hongkong and china.

bmw156
06-08-09, 04:30 PM
hmmmmm, i think it might of had its day in certain areas.

as mentioned, cheap bargins are no longer unless your lucky

and i think if you have your head screwed on then you wont get buggered over

calibra-keith
06-08-09, 04:42 PM
ebay went downhill when they messed about with feedback system and upping there charges and commision been one of the reasons why many people have had to up there prices. its also been reported that they along with google have been bad boys but thats for you lot to look up im not getting into trouble by saying lol

Jack
06-08-09, 04:48 PM
I don't think so. Sure the market is flooded with goods, but its relatively easy to filter out the junk.

There's still bargains to be had. Whenever I want to buy something (primarily car parts or "collectibles"), ebay is usually my first port of call.

hc coupe
06-08-09, 05:13 PM
Its all down to what your looking for really. I'm currently finding that most things I'm after are only typically 10% cheaper than from a high street shop. and if looking online you can normally match the price.
I now buy my things (some exceptions) from a shop I can go back if worse comes to worse and pay the extra for peace of mind.

eBay has had its day in my eyes however its still very useful for the long lost item that you can't find anywhere else

Lee
06-08-09, 05:25 PM
Ive just started spending money on the Vito as I have a load of surples cash. Got a very tidy set of alloys for £40 quid! A new headlight for a fiver and I also nabbed a braked towing hitch for the loonaque for a tenner!

Sp long as you know how to filter out the crap and have a good sence of how popular an Item is going to be, there are still proper bargains on there.

marc novataken
06-08-09, 05:26 PM
its still good for some things but i find a lot of the car stuff expensive, after postage i can usually find the same stuff cheaper in shops! other thing i find is that people rarely answer if i ask a question, and if they do reply its not until theres 5 mind left in the auction!

Ernie
06-08-09, 05:29 PM
Ive just started spending money on the Vito as I have a load of surples cash.

Did you tarmac the ring wile out there lol.

Luvs ya realy x x

J4MES
06-08-09, 05:38 PM
ebay went downhill when they messed about with feedback system and upping there charges and commision been one of the reasons why many people have had to up there prices.

Very true I've stopped selling recently, however there are still bargains to be had...

KSRY
06-08-09, 05:42 PM
Its too overpriced now, their fees along with paypals are now astronomical, I think if Ebid were more popular it would start to rival Ebay but I can't see that happening

AlexW
06-08-09, 05:43 PM
For car stuff i still go on ebay, as i do for some items. From a selling side its great that some things do sell overpriced but as long as the seller isnt being a dick and starting the bidding way over price already then.

Ive still had a few bargins latly, cars can be bought cheap too providing the seller will do it outside of ebay lol

auzzy-b
06-08-09, 06:08 PM
an auction is meant to go to the higgest bidder at the highest price, but people will bid up there own stuff to what price they would let it go for.

Thats true!! it just ruins the whole point of an auction and shouldnt be aloud! i dont really bother with it anymore... just seems pointless unless you do spot one the rare bargains.

pikey1986
06-08-09, 06:31 PM
i was bidding on a set of cav steelies a few weeks ago, i had put my max bid at £45, they were at about £38 the day before it ended then over night the seller cancelled the auction and removed the item, i mailed him and his response was he would get more for them as scrap wich is crap because i wieghed in 111kg of steel and it only made me £30

Mike
06-08-09, 06:40 PM
Its great if your a seller :)

J4MES
06-08-09, 06:46 PM
Its great if your a seller :)

Not for me, I can't charge postage unless its abroad:cry:

craig green
06-08-09, 06:56 PM
I have stopped selling & tbh use it as a price referencing guide now.

The good old days of people treating it like a Jumble sale/auction are gone tbh. As said, it's flooded with traders & fixed price auctions starting at 1p under the retail price. So many products on there are utter tosh.. Water pumps & engine parts etc that fail almost immediately etc.

It really is a shame that Ebay have the market sewn up when it comes to online auctions. Strength in a name. Thats all it is.

marc novataken
06-08-09, 07:07 PM
i was bidding on a load of brand new alpine dvd players, the ******* just withdrew them with 15 mins left :(

J4MES
06-08-09, 07:11 PM
i was bidding on a load of brand new alpine dvd players, the ******* just withdrew them with 15 mins left :(

Stuff like that happens loads- it needs to be far more regulated..

marc novataken
06-08-09, 07:13 PM
gutted, i was high bidder on 7 of em, brand new with retail price of £529.99 each

saloon3
06-08-09, 07:19 PM
ebay is full of arseholes who bid and win items then never get back to you..and what does ebay do ? absolutley **** all.. or as they call it ' a non paying strike' pish pish and more pish .. ever tried phoning them?.. thats a joke too ' now sir dont tell me to **** off ' pricks!!

Jack
07-08-09, 08:30 AM
No he didn't. Ebay won't let you end an auction if there's less than 24 hours left... :roll:

I've never had a problem with Non Paying Bidders tbh. Whats the issue? Ok, it delays your sale by a few weeks, but meh. So you wait 7 days from auction end for payment (because of course all your auctions state "payment within 7 days" on them), if no payment you list an NPB report with ebay, who more often than not let you relist the item for free.

I agree that Ebay have a monopoly though. What other competition is there - they own 25% of craigslist (and I expect given half a chance they'd jump for another 26%), nobody uses Amazon auctions, and even Yahoo gave up its auction site, under rumours of ebay payoffs etc. Which was annoying, as it was great for buying parts in from Japan and the Hong Kong one just doesn't cut it, and Yahoo Wallet used to be better than Paypal back then. And what happened to google auctions?

The thing is, if someone says "I want to sell second hand/new goods on the internet", 99% of people will look to ebay. If Yahoo, Amazon, Google etc all failed to dent their market share, I highly doubt anyone else will successfully manage it.

marc novataken
07-08-09, 09:02 AM
well when i sent him a message he said he had withdrawn them because he sold them off ebay