PDA

View Full Version : Injector/AFM question

Dod
06-08-09, 03:39 PM
Ok, basicialy a car runs with a Spark, Air and Fuel. The spark is a spark, it does as it should, in theory, more air and fuel and the spark should produce more power.

So, again, in theory, if I added larger injectors and a larger AFM to a car, it should give an increase yeah? I know its a long shot that the ECU will power the AFM properly but if you got the balance right for the ECU to think, yeah this is ok, it should work yeah?

This is stemming from my small Block 18 16v engine thread, I was thinking about using the AFM and injectors of it on a 14 or 16 XE but wanted to get a public opinion on weather its worth even trying it first.

draper
06-08-09, 03:42 PM
as far as i know the heads/injection are the saem or very similar its just the bottom ends that differ so swapping them over wont give you any gains at all

unlesss you just fit the whole engine ;)

mowgli
06-08-09, 04:18 PM
there will need to be some form of mapping to cover the alterations...

therealnovaboy
06-08-09, 04:29 PM
no that setup will just make your car run poo.

just say you used the old afm and it sensed 5 units of flow the new air flow meter might sense the same 5 units as there has been no adjustments for the engine to flow more. however if the 1.8s flow meter flowed better than the old flow meter there fore giving 6 units of flow. if the ecu were to sense this and gives a signal to the injectors to squirt the correct amount of fuel to get the correct afr it in theory would work if the outputs of the two AFM were in the same range . if you put bigger injectors on, the ecu sends the same signal to the injectors using pulse width modulation. so say 3 pulses were needed to give the right afr then three pulses on the new injectors could be the equivalent of 4 pulses on the old ones thus giving to much fuel and not enough air.

its like those chips on ebay that fool the car into thinking the air is colder and therefore gives more fuel to the denser air. the problem there tho its not denser and the same amount of o2 and over fuels.

Dod
06-08-09, 08:45 PM
Gotcha, nice work people. Is it worth even fitting the larger injectors on a standard engine or again, am I looking at no gains?

Benn
06-08-09, 08:56 PM
Gotcha, nice work people. Is it worth even fitting the larger injectors on a standard engine or again, am I looking at no gains?

No, cause it wont suck in more air, and wont use the extra fuel.

Rich
06-08-09, 09:37 PM
Unless the current injecters arent flowing properly you will probably end up losing power throwing more fuel in as its still getting the same amount of air

Dod
06-08-09, 11:15 PM
Ok, I know I'm getting irratiting (sp), what do I need to do to get more air in? Something like a Mantzel style intake? Would a larger Throttle body help?

Stuart
06-08-09, 11:23 PM
A plunger should get more air in

Adam
06-08-09, 11:29 PM
Ok, I know I'm getting irratiting (sp), what do I need to do to get more air in? Something like a Mantzel style intake? Would a larger Throttle body help?
Anything that makes it easier for air to get into the cylinders. i.e. different inlet/tb, better exhaust manifold,bigger cams, headwork etc

Dod
06-08-09, 11:30 PM
Food for thought, thanks everyone.

One more thing, where'd I get a Plunger to suit a X14XE?