PDA

View Full Version : a quick v5 question

L33 LEG
06-08-09, 11:51 AM
im wanting to sell my purple e36 soon and im needing to change the engine size and also take the reg off. i was going to send off the logbook with the engine change and then once i get it back send it off again to take the reg off. but this could take upto 3 months. would i be able to do them both at once?

ie. when i send the logbook to get the reg off, i can just fill in the changes to vehicle cant i?

cheers in advance :thumb:

WBC
06-08-09, 11:54 AM
Dont see why not tbh....

sparkie1401
06-08-09, 11:55 AM
youll need a seperate form from the post office to take the plate of and it ma need to be MOT'd and taxed?

engine will need proof as in a receipt of purchase, engineers report or letter head from main dealer saying

engine number blah blah blah is this cc and is petrol etc etc

L33 LEG
06-08-09, 11:59 AM
the car is mot'd and taxed.

i was hoping i wouldnt need a engineer report. basically i bought a 328 and the head cracked so iv put a 2.5 in it. when i come to sell it it might put people off, so wanted to change the engine size and not mention it was a 2.8 lol and i cant pretend it is a 2.8 becuase its slow as hell and its pre vanos so they'l know its not a 2.8 :(

Jack
06-08-09, 01:27 PM
Go to your local DVLA office and they may well be able to do both things in one hit.

therealnovaboy
06-08-09, 01:58 PM
give the dvla a phone. last time i phoned them they were very helpful.

that way youl know for sure.

L33 LEG
06-08-09, 02:30 PM
im not wanting to change it if it means il need a engineer report. do you think its work giving it a go or just hoping il find a buyer who doesnt mind a conversion?

Ben
06-08-09, 05:59 PM
the 328 engine is a 2.5 anyhow, i wouldnt even bother telling anyone.

There going to think its a ringer with the plate on as there is a yaris in hull with the real plate on.

L33 LEG
06-08-09, 11:33 PM
ye they look very similar. iv kept the 2.8 manifold on but the only thing they can pick up now is the vanos unit. il just act dumb if they ask lol

and sorry but your joke failed, the L33LEG is on the other bimmer ;)

brainsnova
06-08-09, 11:37 PM
going to your local dvla office saves a few weeks waiting on the post.

L33 LEG
06-08-09, 11:39 PM
ye i will do that when im wanting the reg off. but i need to know whether its worth changing the engine size or not. i dont want to be putting it up for sale and everyone noticing its not a 2.8. or maybe i should just say its been changed to a 2.5 but havnt changed the book yet, but that will probably put people off. either way i want to sell it towards the end of september.

sparkie1401
07-08-09, 10:31 PM
u dont need an engineers reports that was one of the options to prove the cc change

a valid scrap yard receipt confirming cc and petrol etc should do

Jack
07-08-09, 10:34 PM
a valid scrap yard receipt confirming cc and petrol etc should do
Unfortunately not

The forms of evidence that the DVLA will accept are:

a) Receipt for the replacement engine.
This would come from the garage or parts shop that supplied and fitted the engine.

b) Written evidence from the manufacturer.
This would be a letter from Vauxhall stating they have inspected the car and can confirm the change.

c) An inspection report provided for insurance purposes.
This would be an independent physical vehicle check undertaken by a recogniesd motoring body (e.g. AA or RAC vehicle check).

d) Written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle.
This also covers the DIY jobs; a local garage will confirm the engine swap has been undertaken and is of a safe standard. You may also like to bundle this in with an MOT, if its due, as a pass will prove the car is roadworthy.

L33 LEG
08-08-09, 02:16 AM
it was fitted on my drive lol

i think il just keep it a 2.8...

cheers for the advice guys

Richie_B
08-08-09, 10:49 AM
They never asked for an engineers report for my Corsa. Just filled in the new engine size and number and handed it in at the DVLA centre.

When you do online insurance searches etc it'll still come up as a 2.8 though

Jack
08-08-09, 11:26 AM
They never asked for an engineers report for my Corsa.
This is the thing. They're supposed to ask for evidence, but whether or not they do is another matter.

Both times I changed my logbook they asked for evidence; first was by post and they simply returned the V5. Second time was in person at the local DVLA office and the first thing the girl asked was if I had evidence of the change.

sparkie1401
08-08-09, 07:49 PM
Unfortunately not

yes thats exactly the letter i got when i recently changed my nova cc, but salvage yards supply engines to garages and could probably help with some documentation, so i coulsd have a point me old pal

i did work there

when i changed mine, i made a note of the new engine number and had the doner vehicle chasis number and got vauxhall to put it on headed paper job done:thumb: