PDA

View Full Version : Bill Advice

J4MES
06-08-09, 11:45 AM
Hi guys/girls need a bit of advice.

I got contacted by a debt collection agent the other day via email saying that I owed Northumbrian Water a years bill from my old house over 2 years ago! Me and my 3 house mates thought it was included in the rent (because we never recieved a bill), however after checking the tenancy agreement it wasn't included.

So I've accepted that I have to pay, however she stated that 4 names were on the bill but she has only been able to contact me and said that I'm fully liable for the amount, but I'm only willing to pay for my 1/4.

Just interested in the consequences of non-payment if they ask for the full amount, they've only got my email and mobile number...

Cheers people..

Pistol Pete
06-08-09, 11:48 AM
Contact the other people that lived with you and get them to stump up??!! How much is the bill for? Is it really worth having a black mark against your name for an unpaid water bill?

Just interested in the consequences of non-payment if they ask for the full amount

got contacted by a debt collection agent the other day..

Theres your answer. Nice people these debt collection types lol

J4MES
06-08-09, 11:59 AM
Small problem; 2 of them live abroad in Vietnam, and are barely contactable, let alone be able to send money (ps one is tight as funk).

Not sure on the amount but a years water up here is about £275 plus any charges I'm sure they've added, they asked for an address to 'send a bill to' ie baliffs.

I'm happy to stump up my part of it, i'll be fu*ked if I'm paying the full amount tho..

draper
06-08-09, 12:16 PM
welcome to the real world, unfortuantly life isnt fair

there chasing you for the money ergo you'll have to pay it

kelbelle
06-08-09, 12:33 PM
Similar thing happened to my brother when he broke up with his girlfriend. He moved out of their flat and back home with us and the stupid waster that is his ex stopped paying the coucil tax etc and becuse his name is still on the lease or whatever they are chasing him for £700. Keep sending bailiffs to my house but he doesnt own anything in it for them to take!

kent14sr
06-08-09, 12:40 PM
Your liable

Same happened to me and I had to pay the full amount. Gutting though.

J4MES
06-08-09, 12:56 PM
Your liable

Same happened to me and I had to pay the full amount. Gutting though.

Sounds like I'm fudded, its £289, better send the carrier pidgeons to Vietnam then!!lol

J4MES
06-08-09, 12:57 PM
Ps cheers for the advice/similiar situations, never paid a bill late in my life!!

Stuart
06-08-09, 02:30 PM
call the water board, pay 1/4 of it, state that there were the 4 of you there (they will know this), then take your name off the bill.

thats what I had to do when myself and a tosspot got hammered after leaving a flat many years ago. I paid my half and had my details removed from the account :D then its upto them what they do thereafter

Jack
06-08-09, 03:03 PM
Did I reply to this thread? I'm sure I did.

[dave.gsi]
HALP CONSPIRACY NAZIS STOLE MY MIND

revolution, elvis for president
[/dave.gsi]

draper
06-08-09, 03:18 PM
Did I reply to this thread? I'm sure I did.

[dave.gsi]
HALP CONSPIRACY NAZIS STOLE MY MIND

revolution, elvis for president
[/dave.gsi]

FLMAO lol

dannyb
06-08-09, 03:28 PM
Try Stuart's suggestion first, if you have any proof that it was a Home of multiple occupancy, i.e. council tax documents, this will help to substanciate your claim. Can none of the others be chased up? If not you'll have to just pay up. Even if you can find the other person and half the cost, it'll be better. Maybe speak with the parents of the people who are in Vietnam? You might be able to get some cash out of them!!

Ring up the water board and keep your cool!

J4MES
06-08-09, 05:34 PM
Sound advice was actually thinking about calling them direct.
The account has all 4 of our names on it so there shouldn't be a problem there. I'll be ringing them first thing..

Lauren
06-08-09, 09:39 PM
If they don't back down and they insist you need to pay the full amount, it's not worth the black mark in your name for the sake of a couple of hundred quid. If you can't pay it all at once, tell them that and they will make some kind of payment plan.

Jack
07-08-09, 08:04 AM
If you can't pay it all at once, tell them that and they will make some kind of payment plan.
^ Agreed.

They may see the four of you as a "collective", i.e. they don't care if one or all four of you pay up, so long as they get the cash. In the same fashion, both me and my sister are on the rental agreement for our house, but if she disappeared, I'd still be liable to pay the full rent amount each month. The fact a few of them have fcuked off up the Ho Chi Minh trail means you're the only one they can easily get hold of, so you get lumbered with it.

Did they not send you anything at the time about it, whilst you were living at the house? No warnings for missing payments etc? If not you could perhaps use that in your defence.

J4MES
07-08-09, 09:02 AM
Did they not send you anything at the time about it, whilst you were living at the house? No warnings for missing payments etc? If not you could perhaps use that in your defence.

Nope, didn't recieve one bill, or missed payment 'red letters.

Giving Northumbrian Water a call in a bit so shall see what they say!