PDA

View Full Version : Why does nobody make normal fibreglass wings?

paul james
05-08-09, 01:03 PM
As the title says, surely theres a good market for them. I know there are wide arch ones avaliable, but these are just MK2 aren't they? and wider arches aren't to everyones taste.
I'd love to be able to buy some MK1 non-wide wings, and not have to worry about them rusting ever again.

MK999
05-08-09, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't mind some maaarginally wider Mk2 front wings, if I was looking at fibreglass panels atm. As you say no rust, minus weight, and very marginally wider wings would go low without scrubbing at all on all reasonable wheels

bmw156
05-08-09, 01:11 PM
As the title says, surely theres a good market for them. I know there are wide arch ones avaliable, but these are just MK2 aren't they? and wider arches aren't to everyones taste.
I'd love to be able to buy some MK1 non-wide wings, and not have to worry about them rusting ever again.

you say there is a good market for them. but there obviously isnt, otherwise someone woudl be creating them by now...

think how many people own novas, then out of them have a track car / race car, then out of them who actually wants wide archs and out of them who an afford them

im sure this gets down to a small number probably less then 1000 imo, and producing a batch of 1000 might seem alot but the set up costs would be ok, and if it is 1000 who want/need them then 200 might already have them. and from the 800 they are not all going to buy them at once.

:)

paul james
05-08-09, 01:21 PM
I reckon wings would be easier to make than tailgates and bumpers, which are already done. And the market would be bigger than for those anyway. Fibreglass non-wide wings could be bought by anyone replacing wings on a nova, not just the rallying/track car crowd. Metal wings rust easily and the current aftermarket ones don't fit perfectly. With fibreglass wings there wouldn't be a need for bonnet pins or anything like that, the standard bolts could hold them on - so they'd be easy to fit, and once painted look like standard.

MK999
05-08-09, 01:22 PM
Sounds like someone's done a level business :roll: Fibreglass company like the one in traders section could probably make a limited run of as little of 10 if you got the people together, however it's finding 10 people at once that want them.

let_nova
05-08-09, 01:23 PM
agreed. how do we know theres not a market if they havent been made?

BIGS
05-08-09, 01:26 PM
Why because the normal metal wings dont weight much anyway. The reason they have wide ones are because alot of people like myself want to go wide track and need the extra width.

peester
05-08-09, 01:31 PM
an o.e nova steel wing isnt that heavy.
I think its profit margins that prevents anyone offering what you ask for..
wide-arch ones i guess get away with carrying a more premium price..? i dunno.

brainsnova
05-08-09, 01:34 PM
use a geniune wing and cover it with something fibreglass would stick too but easily break away and fibreglass over an then you have a mould to make them :thumb:

Jack
05-08-09, 02:57 PM
Metal arches, as said, don't weigh much anyway, so the weight saving argument is a moot point. I seem to recall pattern replacement wings not being particularly expensive either from the likes of Hadrian, Sel, etc.

Plus they'd be weaker, so more prone to damage, and probably a lot rougher. Thing with a metal panel is if you dint it, most of the time you can push it out. With a fibreglass panel, that will crack and need patching up or replacing. They'd also be weaker round the holes for the screwpoints.

However, even given the above, I could see there being a market for OEM dimension replacement front wings. Maybe get an idea of numbers and approach a fibreglass company to make a limited group buy run with the possibility of further purchase in future?

Stuart
05-08-09, 04:19 PM
iirc we tried to get a std GRP wing GB done a year or two back and not enough people were interested.

ist the usual thing, everyone and their dog puts their name down, then when it comes to monies all but a few vanish.