PDA

View Full Version : Drive shafts

xxspudxx
04-08-09, 05:22 PM
Is it normal to be able to tug on a drive shaft and pull it out with your hands? :tard:

brake-dust
04-08-09, 05:25 PM
hope so mine do lol

mowgli
04-08-09, 06:01 PM
depends just how hard you tug it really......

it should have a fair bit of resistance. & it shouldn't pull out if the hub is still attached to the bottom arm & strut.

maybe you should get a bit of wood & a hammer & knock the shafts in a bit.

craig green
04-08-09, 06:05 PM
We talking inner CV here?

Sometimes the shafts pull out of the CV's which isnt good IMO, but if the CV is pulling out of the box easily.. Think yourself lucky! though I doubt its been seated home properly tbh.

brucer
04-08-09, 11:06 PM
leaver bar/tyre leaver and wedge away on both sides so it has equal pressure,should pop out.

xxspudxx
05-08-09, 12:08 AM
sorry, meant pulling whole shaft out the box, there is resistance there and doesnt come out when hub and everything is attached but just seemed easy to come out the gearbox, deffinatly cant get it in anymore then it is going in though, using a big enough hammer as it is!!! :)

ST-eater
05-08-09, 01:03 AM
are your inner cv's missing the circlips? If so you will be able to remove them easily, as the circlip holds them in fairly well when fitted to the end of the shafts/

jimbob-mcgrew
05-08-09, 03:08 AM
i found an easy way to get em out if your stuck.
disconnect the bottom arm, the caliper brake line and the steering rod arm, so the hub assembly is floating on the suspension.
you can then use the weight of all that, attached to the shaft to pop it out of its socket. paired with a jerk from a screwdriver gearbox side symultaneously with the hub swing, prety much guaranteed to pop it out.
putting back in, kinda the same thing, slide the shaft into the box to a decent way in, and then use the hub assembly one more time to pop it back in, dont have to use much force on the way in tho, one bosh should be sufficient.

if your talkin about the outer cv's in the hubs, that 30mm nut (i think 30) is the worst bit to get undone, with the hub and shaft outta the car, a few licks with a hammer should free it from the hub, if its real bad, u might need some heat on it right before the hammer.

xxspudxx
05-08-09, 08:32 AM
Circlip is on the inner shaft, might not even be a problem, just never thought was so easy to get the shaft out, not to worry, thanks for help! :)

AlexW
05-08-09, 10:12 AM
Some do pull out easy, My novas one preety much fell out lol

Stuart
05-08-09, 10:46 AM
there has to be some element of 'plunge' on them so there will be free movement

Rich
05-08-09, 07:24 PM
Some will pull out easy, but its likely just yoinking them out will pop the bearings out the the cv joint.

Wouldnt advise just pulling them, at least get a bit of lever on the joint first

craig green
05-08-09, 07:39 PM
there has to be some element of 'plunge' on them so there will be free movement

Isnt the plunge the amount of in & out the shaft can move with the inner race of the CV in the joint, when fully installed?

mulletor
06-08-09, 03:04 PM
mine never seem to come out easily. looking forward to getting some that do pop out like they should one day.lol

always end up ****ing about and getting covered in cv grease.lol

Stuart
06-08-09, 03:43 PM
Isnt the plunge the amount of in & out the shaft can move with the inner race of the CV in the joint, when fully installed?

Depends on the vehicle manufacturer... eg pug tend to put the plunge in the actual CV-> diff area where as GM apper to put it in the CV joint -> drive shaft (and a little in the diff side)