PDA

View Full Version : popn me cherry!

Jez414
24-02-03, 12:40 PM
hi all

i'm new here but not new in the nova world. this is atemt at doing a convertion. i'm planing on puting a 2.0l 8v or 16v engine in my nove sr but thers just a cople of questions i want to know.

1.wot vauxhall should i get the engine out off.

2.do i need to modify ant thing for he engine to fit.

3.wot looms do i need.

4. do i need to do anything to the ECU.

5.wot brack do i use.

if ther's ant thing eles i should know plz tell me as this is my first time @ doing a convetion.

Thanx Jez[/list]

mikeoxford
24-02-03, 02:06 PM
16 valves are better than 8........... :wink:

Jez414
24-02-03, 03:32 PM
i'v found a engine astra GTE 2.0L 8v in the parts for sale section have a look and tell me if i should go for it .

www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70028

whitey
24-02-03, 08:15 PM
I dont know very much about 2L 16V engines or engines in general when you get to the nitty gritty but I do know that the 16V is better!

However, there is the question of getting the car seam welded! I think that with an 8V it isnt really that imp but with a 16V it is more a less a must! Just something I heard! Mite be wrong!

Go for a Cav engine too if you can as the insurance will be cheaper than an Astra or Calibra engine!

Dan
24-02-03, 09:14 PM
either 2.0 lump is a big block engine so same amount of work for both

mark_GSi
02-03-03, 01:02 PM
uummm, 8v would be easier 2 repair but 16v for power!

up 2 u m8, i would prob go for 8v, weighs less, tunable ect

having said there is pros and cons 2 both :?

Nova-Flair
02-03-03, 02:15 PM
go for 16v they r more powerful but make sure u get an insurance quote first tho!

Tazzy
02-03-03, 02:39 PM
its me (well my brother) that is selling the 2.0 8v engine, all the spec is in the parts for sale section, its a great engine, i can vouch for that, and as all 8v vauxy engines go, this beast is undistructable!

mikeoxford
02-03-03, 09:46 PM
id get the lower spec engine (in your case the 8v) and tune it

so much more fun / enjoyment than whacking a bloody great lump in and expecting it to be the biz.

having bin out in a 1.6 8v turbs, i can honnestly say if you did sommat similar to a 2ltr 8v you WOULD be laffin

techie
02-03-03, 09:53 PM
Id agree the torque of the 8v is good fun. Plue SEH engines are dirt cheap.

Either way you will need to strengthen the front end and get new drveshafts and mountings. PVD do a kit with everything you need for around ?400 I think.

I decided its to much hassle and bought another 1.6 lump and tunning that. Alot lighter and less stress on the other components.

mikeoxford
02-03-03, 10:13 PM
my point exactly.

but having said that i guess once my 8v is complete and setup properley ill be on the power hunger for more mods!

but the 8v is so much fun!

my 1.4 is so quick off the mark, OK itll get wasted by other novas around, but it is SO much fun to drive.

ask stu gsi!

he had a job to keep up with me around the bends because the engine is so damn light, with my choice of cam and mods, whack it down a gear, nail it out of a bend or round about and you laffing.

obviously if straight line speed and full length races is what u want then maybe think twice, but other than that id say go for a highly tuned smaller engine.........

Tazzy
02-03-03, 11:24 PM
lol, so my 2.0 8v would be perrrrrrrrrrfect! :wink: