PDA

View Full Version : brakes part 3

16v Nova Kev
03-08-09, 11:09 PM
right this is really getting on my tits now my rear wheels keep locking up even if i just roll down my drive and brake slightly they lock up.
so far i have
1.fitted a new master cylinder
2. checked all brake pipes
3. blanked 1 rear line off and used a t peice and it still locked up
4. made sure the front calipers were on the right way

so now i have cut the rear lines and blocked the m/c so now the rears do nothing just so i could drive it :mad:
wtf could it be. do the restrictors on the m/c ever fail :( :wtf:

deanwilko
03-08-09, 11:14 PM
drums or discs on the rear

jimbob-mcgrew
03-08-09, 11:51 PM
if u still had a lockup with the line blocked off, its most probably your shoes and handbrake that want setting up.

i had a bit of a nightmare prob similar to yours, turned out one of my rear wheel cyclinders was shot, but the main cause was one of the lil circlips that holds the handbrake cable into the rear drum was missing, causing the cable to pull really oddly and caused lockups, especially going downhill, which was bloody dangerous at times, nearly stacked it on a few occasions cos of it, u wanna try get that sorted a.s.a.p and drive cautiously till its sorted :thumb:

edit : just thought, while your sorting the rear shoes out, if youve got a large lip on the inside outer edge of the drum, you wanna get some emery cloth or hefty sandpaper and take that lip back so its relatively flush, if youve got a hefty lip on there you wont be able to set them up as they should be.

Stuart
04-08-09, 09:11 AM
hefty liop = new drums, they arent that expensive :d

Guderian
04-08-09, 12:08 PM
Kev, if there are pressure limiting valve/s in the rear system, yes they do fail on occasion. Cavaliers had a safety recall because of a faulty batch some years ago.

16v Nova Kev
04-08-09, 10:23 PM
drums or discs on the rear
drums bud:thumb:

16v Nova Kev
04-08-09, 10:26 PM
if u still had a lockup with the line blocked off, its most probably your shoes and handbrake that want setting up.

i had a bit of a nightmare prob similar to yours, turned out one of my rear wheel cyclinders was shot, but the main cause was one of the lil circlips that holds the handbrake cable into the rear drum was missing, causing the cable to pull really oddly and caused lockups, especially going downhill, which was bloody dangerous at times, nearly stacked it on a few occasions cos of it, u wanna try get that sorted a.s.a.p and drive cautiously till its sorted :thumb:

edit : just thought, while your sorting the rear shoes out, if youve got a large lip on the inside outer edge of the drum, you wanna get some emery cloth or hefty sandpaper and take that lip back so its relatively flush, if youve got a hefty lip on there you wont be able to set them up as they should be.

funny you should mention the clips cos i dont have any on the hand brake cable so cheers for that i would never have thought of that :cool:

deanwilko
04-08-09, 10:27 PM
take the restrctors out and put the rear pipe straight onto the m/c and see if the does it

16v Nova Kev
04-08-09, 10:27 PM
the drums are really new no lip :thumb:

deanwilko
04-08-09, 10:29 PM
you say you blanked the rear brakes off and they still locked up?

let_nova
04-08-09, 10:30 PM
read ffs he blanked one side and t peiced the other into 2.

deanwilko
04-08-09, 10:33 PM
i was asking if he had blanked the rear brakes off and if they still locked up

16v Nova Kev
04-08-09, 10:35 PM
take the restrctors out and put the rear pipe straight onto the m/c and see if the does it
im going to try the clips first might as well :thumb:

16v Nova Kev
04-08-09, 10:36 PM
read ffs he blanked one side and t peiced the other into 2.

^^^you calm down to a frenzy ffs lol :d

let_nova
04-08-09, 10:39 PM
i was asking if he had blanked the rear brakes off and if they still locked up

he said he blanked one off and t peiced the other into 2.:tard:

MARTIN KELSON
04-08-09, 10:42 PM
Have you had the vacuum pipe off from the servo?

It has a one way valve with an arrow showing flow direction.
I had this wrong way round years back at it caused me loads of head scratching as didnt realise the garage had this pipe even off to put it back wrong.

Caused similar problem to what your having if i remember correctly.

Worth a check.

Martin

16v Nova Kev
04-08-09, 10:42 PM
he said he blanked one off and t peiced the other into 2.:tard:

i meant to say i went back to 2 lines cos i thought that was causing it:thumb:

novaguy08
05-08-09, 10:40 AM
If there are drums on the back (i had this very same thing!) your wheel cylinders could be leaking, or the pads n drums are contaminated with something like brake fluid
Its possible to rescue them with a bit of petrol to clean them with ;)

Guderian
05-08-09, 12:17 PM
agree, it could be fluid (or even cheap brake shoes)

If the drums ARE full of fluid remember to scuff the drum up with wet and dry paper before putting it back on. Otherwise the drum can take ages to bed in to the new shoes. Take care not to drop abrasive into the bearing housing obviously.

As far as cleaning old shoes goes, i have done this in the past (i boiled them up in a hot solution of washing powder a few times, tipping off the oily residue off the top each time) however not to be recommended as a result is not guaranteed. Certainly on a nova once the hub/drum is removed it is best to clean check and replace as necessary, as it is a fiddly assembly and not one you really want to be stripping down too often.

novaguy08
05-08-09, 01:22 PM
Or pour petrol over them & clean with oily rag.................. Flammable FTW :D

Just dont light up afterwards!!

therealnovaboy
05-08-09, 02:53 PM

more expensive than sand paper, mr money bags

let_nova
05-08-09, 03:55 PM
liop lmfbo

Stuart
05-08-09, 04:14 PM
http://www.autovaux.co.uk/LoadPortal.aspx?cnum=28&pnum=AS90007526&tabid=5&vnum=120 £17 each.....

new shoes a tenner... then you can usually blag a discount (and I think there is a PNG discount with AV anyway). Dirt cheap and saves lots of cocking about

mowgli
05-08-09, 05:10 PM
if the rear brakes are set correctly, with the actual self adjusters, as opposed to the bodge with the handbrake cable, then there is limited cylinder movement, which is correct. this causes more fluid to go to the front calipers which equalises out the braking. if the rear cylinders move too much, then way too much fluid goes to the rear & then they will starve the flow to the front calipers, causing the rears to lock up.

16v Nova Kev
05-08-09, 07:47 PM
Have you had the vacuum pipe off from the servo?

It has a one way valve with an arrow showing flow direction.
I had this wrong way round years back at it caused me loads of head scratching as didnt realise the garage had this pipe even off to put it back wrong.

Caused similar problem to what your having if i remember correctly.

Worth a check.

Martin

cool i think its on the right way but i will check :thumb:

jimbob-mcgrew
06-08-09, 02:43 AM
more expensive than sand paper, mr money bags

lol joker. +rep

Nobby
06-08-09, 08:04 AM
if the rear brakes are set correctly, with the actual self adjusters, as opposed to the bodge with the handbrake cable, then there is limited cylinder movement, which is correct. this causes more fluid to go to the front calipers which equalises out the braking. if the rear cylinders move too much, then way too much fluid goes to the rear & then they will starve the flow to the front calipers, causing the rears to lock up.

ive had this rear cylinders were shot to much movement and kept basically overbraking on the rear changed the 1 side it kept loking up and hey presto sorted! :D

mulletor
06-08-09, 02:57 PM
what about the fronts being seized ??.how often do you use the car ??
has it been sat months?? when did it start doing it??