PDA

View Full Version : Springs!

Tazzy
23-02-03, 11:39 PM
Can a car be lowered on just the springs and standard shocks?

or does it need adjustable shocks to assist the height?

Nova-Flair
24-02-03, 12:00 AM
yeah it can be lowered on springs but lowering just on springs give you a shit ride quality in comparison to a full kit

burgessovsalford
26-02-03, 04:35 PM
Yes if going -30 or -40 drop, bang the springs on & u will be fine on standard shocks...

whitey
27-02-03, 12:04 AM
You will be fine on -60mm springs! The shocks will just knacker quicker and there is the risk of the springs poping out at the back mainly when u go over a bump!

Id just save he cash and get a whole kit to be honest unless you already got the springs!

Tazzy
27-02-03, 12:36 AM
buti live in sunny brumingham, and i read somewhere once that if youre in a city/town (like me) its only worth getting the springs and the circumstances are more stressful, if that makes any sense!

how low should it be dropped on 16s with just springs?

i dont think i can be bothered with the whole kit, no point being in a city!

Jim
27-02-03, 01:36 PM
LOL AndyJ,

I live in Milton Keynes, the roads are in pretty good order, but there are still bumps and pot holes big enough to knock the springs out of there seat.

Don't risk it, save up and get a full susspension kit. You'll be shelling out for new shocks before you know it if you put just lowered springs on, then you'll be kicking yourself for spending more money on uprated shocks when you could have got a deal for the full kit :)

When you do get your new springs/shocks, get your camber adjusted to compensate, otherwise your tyres will wear unevenly, and the general handling of the car won't be as good as it could be.

Jim

burgessovsalford
27-02-03, 04:11 PM
buti live in sunny brumingham, and i read somewhere once that if youre in a city/town (like me) its only worth getting the springs and the circumstances are more stressful, if that makes any sense!

how low should it be dropped on 16s with just springs?

i dont think i can be bothered with the whole kit, no point being in a city!

30 or 40mm springs with 16's & standard shocks.

IF you wanna go lower do as Slimjim said.

Tazzy
28-02-03, 12:45 AM
what kit would you suggest?

whitey
28-02-03, 11:59 AM
A Gmax kit! Cheap and good for what you get!

A few peeps will confim this!

You can get either shocks and springs at -60mm or at -35 for ?200

Look in mags for the cheapest places!

Anton
28-02-03, 12:04 PM
yup I was pleased with my gmax full kit, and my spax kit seems to be ok as well :D

Jim
28-02-03, 04:28 PM
I bought a full Apex kit for just under ?200. The kit comprimised of -60mm springs. I've not had any problems with the kit, but now I want the car to be lower :)

Jim

Ben (lurk75)
28-02-03, 04:33 PM
I have got the PI kit, it is excellent quality.

I think they average around ?200 maybe get a bit cheaper or dearer depending where but there all pretty much the same.

Tazzy
01-03-03, 07:34 PM
So on 16s (Speedline Alesios hopefully!) go for a GMax kit consisting of springs and shocks and of a 40mm drop?

sounds good!

Anton
01-03-03, 07:53 PM
60mm+ is better with speedlines, and no arch work needed

Tazzy
01-03-03, 09:20 PM
but wouldnt that be dragging a bit over the wheels, 60mm seems a bit too low, esp on 16s!

burgessovsalford
04-03-03, 02:31 PM
-60mm will be fine on speedlines as these wheels are the perfect offset.
Plus with 16's on your car its going to be pretty high anyway so I'd say 40mm wouldnt be enough.

If you are buying a full kit defo go -60mm it will look a whole lot better...