PDA

View Full Version : Burnt Oil smell, After/when booting

scott.parker
02-08-09, 04:58 PM
Right i have a XE with SBD TB set up on it, i don't use the car allot etc, and most times i take it out if i boot it/or straight after i have been giving it some i get a burnt oil smell, i use to get it slightly, but now seam to get it every time, anyone els get this?
Whats the cause?
Should i worry about it?

I was thinking of getting a proper catch tank as i have just a piper X breather filer straight onto the rocker outlet, so this might stop the smell?

Also i have a bit of play in my steering, mainly feels none responsive/lighter on first slight turn after above 40mph, not sure if it's worn rack mounts/or some sort of play in the steering coulomb joint (it's a new hardly use standard rack,so it's not worn) what could this be down to? anyone?

Scott

craig green
02-08-09, 05:17 PM
Oil smell is at worst I reckon the end crank seal weeping oil at high rpm & burning off the back edge of the manifold (I had this on my Astra 16v). Or equally possible is the rocker breather polluting the cabin partly due to you not running a firewall/bulkhead.

scott.parker
02-08-09, 07:22 PM
Think i have found the problem, and stopped it! (for now)

The end crack seal seams fine, as the fly is dry, so i noticed its the sump bolts AGAIN! lol

Best order a new gasket and some lock tight, as it's going to keep doing it due to solid mounts shaking them loose!

Tightened them up, but will need proper fix as said..

Also will get catch tank etc.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3097/dscf0145smallp.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4431/dscf0146small.jpg

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/20/dscf0147small.jpg

All tightened up now, but as said need new gasket etc.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3429/dscf0150small.jpg

Scott

craig green
02-08-09, 07:27 PM
Aye; dont over tighten them.

When you do drop it all off to renew it, leave it 24hrs before filling with oil & I'd cure the sealant off with a hairdryer or hot air gun 1st tbh.

Adam
02-08-09, 07:31 PM
I have the same problem with my sump bolts.
They end up finger tight after a few hundred mile.... lol

craig green
02-08-09, 07:35 PM
If you have the patience, stamp the end of the bolt with a punch, it will flare out the end so it scores as its threaded in & should stop them shaking loose, otherwise thoroughly degrease the holes in the block, use new bolts & some proper threadlock. FTW

scott.parker
02-08-09, 07:38 PM
Just ordered the new gaskets, I'll do it as soon as they turn up, need and oil change any way!

Plus best order that catch tank..

Now as for the sloppy first part of my steering turn anyone got any idea's?

Scott

John
02-08-09, 07:41 PM
Do the rubber gasket mod, won't ever leak again scott.

Benn
02-08-09, 09:42 PM
Dont think the catchtank will help tbh, most tb'ed engines smell of hot oil (all the ones i've been in/around)
Its just cause its not going back in to the inlet.

Mike
02-08-09, 09:51 PM
Dont think the catchtank will help tbh, most tb'ed engines smell of hot oil (all the ones i've been in/around)
Its just cause its not going back in to the inlet.

Nail, head. Every TB'd rally car ive used is above, smells of hot oil.

scott.parker
02-08-09, 11:23 PM
Do the rubber gasket mod, won't ever leak again scott.

Whats that then John?

Ive ordered the set of two rubber GM gaskets, these should be better then cork no?

Scott

Pistol Pete
02-08-09, 11:33 PM
I think he may be reffering to the 8v baffle plate. These come with rubber gaskets already mounted to the baffle plate, thus only leaving 2 surfaces rather than 4.

But TBH, just make sure all surfaces, bolt holes are clean, and you should be fine. Also some decent sealer.

Will F
03-08-09, 08:54 AM
Like Benn said - dont worry - the higher they rev, the more oil vapour is trying to escape!

After a blast, mine stinks!

I actually like it! :wtf:

scott.parker
03-08-09, 05:54 PM
lol don't get me wrong Will i don't mind the smell too much, its massively more noticeable on this car, though that due top the lack of fire wall and so on, but there was a BIG burning oil smell, think it was the sump gasket slowly leaking onto the heat rap etc.

Scott

Adam
03-08-09, 09:04 PM
And oil soaked heat wrap is not good!

Benn
03-08-09, 09:05 PM

That's how they make the torches to burn....

John
03-08-09, 09:09 PM
I think he may be reffering to the 8v baffle plate. These come with rubber gaskets already mounted to the baffle plate, thus only leaving 2 surfaces rather than 4.

But TBH, just make sure all surfaces, bolt holes are clean, and you should be fine. Also some decent sealer.

Thats the fella. I did it on mine, and it NEVER leaked.

scott.parker
03-08-09, 09:19 PM

It's not soaked, i checked that mate, i looked and it's more burning off from the exhaust further under the car, as the draft while going along has blown it under the car! oil FTW sod underseal! lol

Adam
03-08-09, 09:42 PM
A leaking gearbox diff cover has done a grand job of undersealing my floor lol lol

Benn
04-08-09, 08:10 AM
A leaking gearbox diff cover has done a grand job of undersealing my floor lol lol

Add in an old leaking sump and snap.