PDA

View Full Version : Nova Steering Knuckle

skidmarkz
02-08-09, 01:14 PM
Ok, i have searched but not found a definate answer or i have the terminolgy wrong,

What other cars have the same Steering Knuckle Corsa B? or do i need a nova ?

i call a Steering Knuckle, the bit the hub & bearing is pressed into?

I had a massive fail yesterday when my hub yet again sheared itself into many pieces! followed by a massive bang as the CV snapped in half followed by the bearing falling apart,:tard: The caliper carrier bent and my wheel decided to try and part company with the car!

Im ok sourcing the the CV, Hub ect, but need a new Knuckle as mine is smashed and bent too fook!

craig green
02-08-09, 01:31 PM
Nova only... Corsa B's looks similar but is shaped differently.

djbrowney
02-08-09, 01:38 PM
are you running big block hubs buddy

i have used nova/corsa but have always used a pair if that makes sence !!!

im in the process of having some full size hub flanges in a machined knuckle i will be putting them upforsale soon if this will help you with your problems !!!

skidmarkz
02-08-09, 01:40 PM
are you running big block hubs buddy

i have used nova/corsa but have always used a pair if that makes sence !!!

im in the process of having some full size hub flanges in a machined knuckle i will be putting them upforsale soon if this will help you with your problems !!!

I have, big inner&outer CV's Big hubs, normal Knuckles normal nova bearing.

This is the 2nd times it's happened it just tends to bend everything when ur doing a 100mph and it lets go :(

If anything id love to know why is sheared the hub again!, one of my mates recon the heat created by braking may have done it but im unsure the part that the bearing is pressed onto has just completely sheared off.

djbrowney
02-08-09, 01:49 PM
The ones i am building dont run a nova bearing mate, the hub is full size but its a differnt bearing, the knuckle is machine slightly instead.

You keep breaking them because they are piss thin when machined, when it breaks it will just distroy everything with it lol

3 quaters the way down the page mate !

it what im having made is exactly the same but at half the price lol

http://www.hh-ms.com/database/index.php?SelCategoryID=5&SelModelID=14&SelSubCategoryID=9

Tidy Max
02-08-09, 01:55 PM
isnt the problem then the fact you are using regular sized knuckles and bearing WITH big cvs? too much stress on the small knuckles?

Count Vaux Alot
02-08-09, 01:55 PM
The ones i am building dont run a nova bearing mate, the hub is full size but its a differnt bearing, the knuckle is machine slightly instead.

You keep breaking them because they are piss thin when machined, when it breaks it will just distroy everything with it lol

3 quaters the way down the page mate !

it what im having made is exactly the same but at half the price lol

http://www.hh-ms.com/database/index.php?SelCategoryID=5&SelModelID=14&SelSubCategoryID=9

I've already had these done as has Dar and they are imo a lot better

Count Vaux Alot
02-08-09, 01:57 PM
isnt the problem then the fact you are using regular sized knuckles and bearing WITH big cvs? too much stress on the small knuckles?

No - its the hub that has failed not the knuckles (aka the hub carrier) the problem is the machined hubs

djbrowney
02-08-09, 01:57 PM
I've already had these done as has Dar and they are imo a lot better

ive not seen many people to do it tbh an if i wonna be going for top speed runs doing 180+ breaking a hub flange is the last thing i want to happen lol

djbrowney
02-08-09, 01:58 PM
No - its the hub that has failed not the knuckles (aka the hub carrier) the problem is the machined hubs

if im right in think because the flange has failed its taking the carier with it too :thumb:

Count Vaux Alot
02-08-09, 02:00 PM
ive not seen many people to do it tbh an if i wonna be going for top speed runs doing 180+ breaking a hub flange is the last thing i want to happen lol

Not sure what you mean there?

skidmarkz
02-08-09, 02:01 PM

i was accelerating past 120 when it broke, its destroyed everything, need to replace the whole setup and a new complete caliper & carrier!

edit**

skidmarkz
02-08-09, 02:06 PM
Knuckle - Part Number: N0315LH/N0316RH - £171.60
Hub\drive flange - Part Number: N0317 - £52.50
Bearing - Part Number: N0318 - £28.03

£504.26 for both sides + VAT he can fook right off!

what i dont get is, if you send him your own knuckle, he charges £36.40 each to machine them out.. so how can he charge £171 to supply 1 ?

djbrowney
02-08-09, 02:11 PM
**** harry hockley he charges a fookin bomb lol

This is what i am having done and will be a pair :thumb:

standard knuckle machine for larger bearing (shot blasted and powdercoated black)

full size big block hub flange (brand new from gm)

2 brand new bearings

all pressed together ready to bolt on to your car :thumb:

less than half the price mate, exactly the same as what he sells lol

£275 delivered

Novasport
02-08-09, 03:22 PM
Wheres that from?

brucer
02-08-09, 04:11 PM
im guessing you could just get a pair of flanges from an astra gsi and fit them with the machined hubs??

djbrowney
02-08-09, 04:26 PM
im guessing you could just get a pair of flanges from an astra gsi and fit them with the machined hubs??

not quite as simple as that but in a round about way yes mate :thumb:

brucer
02-08-09, 04:32 PM
what else is there to be taken into consideration mr browney?:confused:

djbrowney
02-08-09, 04:37 PM
buy the ones im selling and you wont need to worry about it lol

brucer
02-08-09, 04:47 PM
haha.havnt seen the ones your selling.

so basically, have my hubs machined.fit the big bearings,then fit big hub flanges?

djbrowney
02-08-09, 05:06 PM
haha.havnt seen the ones your selling.

so basically, have my hubs machined.fit the big bearings,then fit big hub flanges?

i will have pictures by the end of the week where they will be for sale buddy :thumb:

skidmarkz
02-08-09, 07:55 PM
does sound good mr browney, good luck with selling them mate :)

skidmarkz
02-08-09, 08:05 PM

Correct, the hub broke into 2 pieces, then 1 by 1 all connecting parts decided to follow suit lol..

You have seen the damage, i have now seen the light and will be making a set of propper hub carrier's with big hubs and bearing :), while im at it i may aswell upgrade the brakes as we talked about :)

Count Vaux Alot
02-08-09, 08:07 PM
Correct, the hub broke into 2 pieces, then 1 by 1 all connecting parts decided to follow suit lol..

You have seen the damage, i have now seen the light and will be making a set of propper hub carrier's with big hubs and bearing :), while im at it i may aswell upgrade the brakes as we talked about :)

:thumb: :thumb:

garethcolley
02-08-09, 09:16 PM
So if the thin hubs are a problem then why doesnt this happen more? Its not that common is it? I need a new hub as one of the threads is gone, rather than spend £45 quid maybe i should upgrade. browney, am i right in thinking your machinig the steering knuckles themselves and pressing a standard large hub into it? How many of these will be available, will we have to send you our steering knuckles?

djbrowney
02-08-09, 09:32 PM
browney, am i right in thinking your machinig the steering knuckles themselves and pressing a standard large hub into it? How many of these will be available, will we have to send you our steering knuckles?

yes mate, im not sure how much interest there will be to be honest mate if any at all. i will have a couple of sets made, IF any one wants a set i will post them out and you send me your knuckles in return so no one has there car off the road :thumb:

Benn
02-08-09, 10:02 PM
Your using lathed down hubs yes?
Whos doing the machining? Are they doing it right? I know Mtech have had alot of probs with them snapping because they are badly machined.

djbrowney
02-08-09, 10:44 PM
Your using lathed down hubs yes?
Whos doing the machining? Are they doing it right? I know Mtech have had alot of probs with them snapping because they are badly machined.

m-tech were machine the hubs down to fit in standard bearing which is not what im doing.

I use a maching company who is very repectable who also laser cut my flanges an everything else for me. who also happens to be next door to my new unit which i should move into next week, i havent ever had a problem with any of his work :thumb:

djbrowney
04-08-09, 07:08 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1283422#post1283422

Benn
04-08-09, 07:38 PM
My reply was to J tho...

Hubs that arnt machined right will snap with in only a few miles.

skidmarkz
05-08-09, 07:43 AM
Benn, They were bought pre lathed, first one was from regal, 2nd one from ebay, i think they are called vax parts uk or summat.

I may buy some from LMF as the shafts i bought off him have held out perfectly :)